Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have my IS yet so I have a quick question. When the sunroof is opened is the glass outside of the roof or in the roof? When it is on top of the roof it looks rather cheap.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the roof. Auto retract to two positions, the first of which minimizes wind/air compression/noise through the open area, with the second being open all the way. Press and hold the sunroof switch open for something less than a second to initiate auto retract, repeat to get to second stop. Press and hold close to reverse (one final stop only).

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I'm pretty sure all sedans with moonroofs retract it into the roof. Only smaller sports coupes like the Celica and Integra/RSX retract the moonroof outside the roof. I think it's more of a space issue than a cost issue.

Originally posted by BearcatRob:
Don't have my IS yet so I have a quick question. When the sunroof is opened is the glass outside of the roof or in the roof? When it is on top of the roof it looks rather cheap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the glass one is called sun-moon roof, it has the retract and tilt function. The sun roof is the steel one with matching body paint, I am not sure if the sun roof has the tilt feature.

·
Registered
759 Posts
With this in mind... how much do you think the sunroof add's to the car's weight? I'm thinking 100 lbs at the most? Anyone REALLY know?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Originally posted by LexusIS886:
With this in mind... how much do you think the sunroof add's to the car's weight? I'm thinking 100 lbs at the most? Anyone REALLY know?
The sunroof undoubtedly adds some weight to
the car, and definitely reduces headroom.
I have one on my car, although I didn't want
one, and tried to buy a car without it.

Unfortunately, many of Toyota's "options" are
unavailable as such, and it's take it or leave it. I wanted LSD, but could find only
one car in the Los Angeles area (at Longo),
and one car (not in my favorite color)
without a sunroof, but also without power seats, which I did want.

Before you spend a lot of time arranging options, you'd better check in your area and
see what's available.

·
Registered
27 Posts
uh... is doesn't have a "sunroof," itz called a "moonroof" because itz a piece of glass that you can see thru. a "sunroof," like others have said, is an opaque piece of metal that you can see thru..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
Silver Bullet
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing