Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I been using the search feature(Which has been improved since I last been on) i know a few people had talked about the rattling noise from there sun roof.. I am trying to see if i can find the info about it. I have a rattle coming form mine. The dealership said they fixed it once but it is still there. My Consultant called me back to day and said "Yes we found the ghost noise" but we don't know what it is. Said they pulled out the sun roof and drove with it out of the car and it was still there. I see some people have had there sun roof switch plate replaced.. Maybe that was it.

Now they say its caused by my "L-Tuned" suspension which is retarded since i have only hit 1 pot hole since my rims and such have been put on. And besides that it would still be under warrenty..

But if anyone has found the answer to this, or is more advanced in the "search" featue and can find the answer i would be much appreacated...

Thanks guy's and Gals!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have that too.
The sound is a "creaky" sound that only happens at low speeds (30-60) while the sunroof is open (but not fully opened)

If I open it fully (press the button twice) the noise goes away.
I do not exp the noise if the sun roof is propped open (tilted)

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are two known source for noise. The plastic trim/frame that goes around the bottom of the glass, and the roof supports under the head liner. On my 3rd trip to the dealer they finally removed a portion of the headliner and put some insultation between the supports and the roof.

The roof support noise and fix was well documented in this board. Just search for sunroof noise and you should find it. On my second trip to the dealer I presented them with some printouts from this board describing the problem and the fix. They checked the their techline and said there wasn't any record of the problem/fix and I got the car back with the same noise. The 3rd time I took the car in they appeared to have some new info and willingly removed the headliner and put some rub insulation between the roof supports and the roof. This took care of 90% of the noise.

I still have problems with noise from the plastic frame even though they were supposed to have put something under the frame to reduce the noise. Wedging a business card between the frame and the sunroof glass helps fix this for a while.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call.. Ya i did the search but could not find any of the materail that I had read before.. But I will be printing this out and bringing to the dealership becuase i cant stand the noise. ANd hte fact taht LEXUS can not fix the problem really bothers me.. My car only has 13,000 miles on it. I even stored it through the harsh New England winter...

Bah, sorry had to vent a little...

And yes i could always just turn up the music, But the simple fact is I should not have too....

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
I had that type of noise as well for a while....

But I finally figured out that the passanger (or Driver) seatbelts, if not being worn while driving can and will vibrate against the hard plastic covers of the side impact airbags on the front seats....

Just check to make sure the the metal portion of the belt ( if not worn), is all the way up when the seat belt is hanging against the inner pillar...

Hope this helps..

Joe Z 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts