Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am trying to familiarize myself with this car, engine, suspension, and endless possibilities of modification, I am spending hours upon hours on this site and many others trying to learn the 2jz as best I can. I had a celica and was putting down close to 400HP on my 1zz, so I know that engine like the back of my hand...but it had a meeting with a wall and no longer exists. Anyway, I'm trying to get accuainted with this car the same way. believe me I have done searches, but my question to you all is

Are there any threads that summarize or blueprint the 2jz? i'm not really sure how to word what i'm looking for but any threads you all have found important or helpful would be great. feel free to post anything, chances are i've seen quite a few but i'm just trying to learn this as quick as I can.

also, what are some common flaws in these cars as they approach 100,000 miles? things I should look for when i'm looking at an older higher milage IS?

thanks everyone, i'm really enjoying my time on this site.

Joe

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
well one just to get started is make sure to change your timing belt by 90k!

Reactions: 02isjw and anfro

·
13,727 Posts
Welcome Richarjp!

Good move on checking out the IS. I myself spend alot of time on here (my job bores me) and from what I see there are not really any major issues with higher mileage IS's, keeping in mind that the major services have been completed (Timing Belt)

Personally, I would go with a 2002 or newer, because the 01 had a few differences like no center console, and I think the wiring may have been different (because the SRT intake has different directions for the 01.) I guess if you found a nice 01 I wouldnt say not get it, but you may end up buying stuff for it that came with the 02's and up ie cupholders etc.

As far as the engine goes, there seems to be more engine specific threads in the Go Faster forum, because those guys really get into the motor with the forced induction threads. The Go Fast thread usually is for basic boltons such as intakes, headers, exhaust, etc. So I would search more in Go Faster if you really want to get good info on the motor.

There are alot of good people on this forum who will help you out, so don't be afraid to ask, even if some resort to "Please Search" answers. More often than not, someone will help you out, and these guys on here know there stuff. There are other IS websites but this one by far is the best.

In closing, please dont rice out your car. No 5 ft high wings. No fart can exhausts. The Lexus IS is a precision instrument, and should be treated as such. Have some dam rep!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi IS coumminity. Greetings RichaRjp, welcome to this website. You came to the right place as i do the same as you and still do, since day 1 on this forum. I spend countless hours on this site reading the ins and outs of this machine. All I got to say is these Toyotas, especially the luxury class, are amazing. The IS300 in particular, ultimate driving machine. I do not know the most about the 2jz engine but I can tell you to search the thread "Any problems with 100,000 miles+?" That was one of my first posts as an IS300 member and there are many responses. But all I have t tell you is this.....Toyota's are on demand and will plan to last for over 250,000+ miles before you see problems. Just ask yourself this, "Why do I still see Camry's and Corolla's made from the 80's still on the streets? Where are the Chevy's at?". Enjoy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Richarjp! ...

In closing, please dont rice out your car. No 5 ft high wings. No fart can exhausts. The Lexus IS is a precision instrument, and should be treated as such. Have some dam rep!
Don't worry man, I don't believe in flashy body kits, or spoilers that give me and extra 30HP, i'll make up for that lost horsepower elsewhere ;) Like I said, my Celica GT before she decided to get married to the wall was close to 400 horse and that was DD. The only body line I changed was the front lip and window tint.

thanks for all the Greetings and help, keep it comin' I really appreciate it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o, and I sorta enjoy not having a center console that sticks up real high, or at least my girlfriend does :D

i'm just messin'

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you're planning to boost to 400hp as well, the stock 5-speed tranny won't do it. Either swap it or buy an auto. Something to consider.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o no, she'll stay stock, or at least a custom intake and mazzuri headers for a while, probably until i'm outta college...unless i magically become independently wealthy ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
welcome to the site RichaRjp....is300's are reliable so you shouldnt have to really worry about it...just maintain it normally and you should be good...and like everyone said, change that belt around 90-100k and you should be good

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Dude, you came to the right place! Lots of information is all here for you. Don't know much about the engine itself but, just like everyone above stated, "just ask". G/L with the car and welcome again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts