Discussion Starter #1
[ SUMMARY REMOVED -
PLEASE READ THE NEW TOPIC NAMED
"UPDATED SUMMARY OF IS300 INFORMATION" ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
I heard from my dealer that the Luxury Package (LP) will have 'black instruments' as well as the wood switchplates and leather/homelink etc. He had no clue what this was - any ideas?

BTW he confirmed that the Luxury Package will only be available on cars with the 16" wheels, and that there will be about one vehicle per dealer with the 17" graphite wheels (AL) for the first batch of cars on the east coast.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This "pedal thing" has been a point of contention in this forum before.

If you want to see a car with "real" "drilled aluminum" pedals look at a 1993-1995 Rx7.
It also has the tachometer in the middle of the display cluster like it should be.

A Lexus dealer already tried to say that Lexus calls the pedals "stamped, brushed aluminum", not "drilled aluminum". When you see that the Lexus websites say "drilled aluminum" be aware that their websites have legal disclaimers which state that some information may be inaccurate.

You really think we should start a class action lawsuit if Lexus delivers "stamped aluminum trim on top off rubber and steel pedals" instead of what we think of when we hear "drilled aluminum pedals" ???
I can't immagine a judge giving us alot of sympathy over that one.

I am more bummed out about their statements in january saying "under $30K". Rumors said as low as $27K base price, but now we are stuck with over $30K...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, today I had went to Longo Lexus and had ordered the IS300 in Mica Blue. I had went with my mom's friend thats a manager at Lexus HQ in Torrance to hopefully get a good deal. Well, I saw the pricing on the list that TEG posted and its all correct. Starting is $30,500, but I think the destination charge was included on the work sheet she had. The Mica blue will not come in with the wood trim. (I dont think anyone will care of that!!)
But the prices of all the extra equipment is correct, but to let you guys know here are the prices at what the dealers get.

IS300 $25,520

LSD- $330
Sunroof- $800
Leather with power seats (driver and passenger)- $1305
Heated Seats- $325
Leather with wood-$1350

But for all of you that want Mica Blue and live in southern California, there are 615 IS300's coming in the first shipment for the sale on June 23rd. On that shipment on 18 are blue for all of California!!! After that shipments will come every Friday.

·
Registered
226 Posts
where did you see the invioce as being 25k? That is pretty cheap for invoice, and a pretty big markup for msrp, i bet you could still get the car in the 20's by negotiating with the dealers.

how soon is soon for configuring the car on their site?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wow....dealer invoice for IS is only $25,520? That'll make the msrp $5000 above invoice; this is such a big markup. No wonder Lexus dealers kept on advertising that they are not allowed to charge over msrp. Anywayz, I still like this car a lot (despite its lack of aluminum block engine, sport seats, and auto-dimming rear mirror). Well, after knowing the invoice is so low, I'm just sort of ticked off that we still won't get much negotiation (meaning we, at least most of us, will have to pay msrp).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some other Specification tidbits: 18 gallon fuel tank or 15 Imp. Gal. (Canada)
Tread Front 58.9 in.
Tread rear 58.5 in.
Min ground running clearance 4.9 In.
Max permissible speed in first 32mph
in second 50mph
in third 77mph
in fourth 110mph
Engine type 2JZ-GE
Bore and Stroke 86.0x86.0mm or 3.39x3.39in.
displacement 2997 ccm 182.9 cu.in.
compression 10.5:1
Alternator output 1200 Watts
Transmission Type A650E
Reverse Ratio 3.431
Steering gear ratio 15.7
Propeller Shaft is shell cup 3 joint type.

[From TEG: Thanks as usual, Bernie!]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
The design of the rear suspension is pretty neat because the coil springs are place at the bottom or the strut damper to reduce stiction and lower center of gravity. The dampers are low pressure nitrogen gas type.

There is feature to the brake system call electronic brake force distribution. When hard cornering the outside weight loaded wheel will get additional boost to the brakes. Also when there is extra weight in the rear say it will sense this and adjust brake force to compensate.

The earlier post asking about the Eastern dealer description of the Luxury package dash. It will have a two tone dash. Black on top and Ivory on the bottom. The walnut swithchplates on the doors add to the Luxury look. Personally I don't care for this combination but to each his own.

·
Registered
994 Posts
How do you find out about this stuff TEG ?

--k

[From chiem: I was referring to the little details which I don't see listed anywhere. Example being option codes, engine specs (model, bore, etc.).]

[From TEG: You can thank Bernie from Rockville Lexus for the engine specs.
I got email from other Dealers with the
option codes.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the invoice is indeed $25,520, I will seriously re-consider my planned purchase next month. I can justify paying MSRP for a new production vehicle, but not at 5K over invoice...

Bernie can you confirm this figure???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, that price is true. It was the dealer invoice that my friend got a Lexus. I had previously told her what I wanted and she showed me the prices. I wished I worked at Toyota, but Oh well!! But yes, they are marking up the prices at about 20%. I was talking to her yesterday and she said she could maybe knock some off for me, but most people will be hard to deal because the car was just released. If you could get everything at invoice the price was after taxes was about $31,500 and if you bought everything without dealing, the prices after taxes was about $37,000. I hope I could get the car for under $35,000 after taxes! They told me though that if I waited until maybe November or December, they would probably deal much more on the car.

What they had said is pretty much almost every car that arrives in the US in first few shipments has been sold or on waiting list (atleast for California). At Longo Lexus alone there is a 3 1/2 page waiting list that had already paid with about 30 people on each page. But I was on 9th for Mica Blue. They totally discourage the bright color group!

Well, that pretty much about it. Oh yeah, if you live near Longo you should check it out. They have a Lexus IS200 thats on display by CEC. CEC is trying to get Longo Lexus to sponsor them so clients would buy aftermarket part for the car. Also they also paid some company in Japan (forgot the name) and they had brought in an Altezza, so its nice. Both right and left handed vehicles in there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At $5K over invoice there will be one less IS300 sold in Massachusetts...

Looks like I'll wait for the new Mercedes or take another look at the BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like BMW 3 series markup is around 12%
and Daimler/Mercedes C class is around 9%...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If we have 25,000+ IS models coming to the
USA in 2001
that is about 130 cars per dealer (some will sell more, some will sell less).

Average dealer markup per car (if selling at MSRP) should be about $4500...

So we get about $585,000/year in markup (just for the IS300) that the average dealer will collect.

------------------------------------------

A dealer heard this and told me that they
paid $8 million to get their franchise!

So - they gotta sell alot of marked up
cars before they break even...

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I'm with you. In Boston Area we got basically 2 dealerships. From what I've seen at the Watertown one, they sell it to you at what they want or to somebody else. But honestly the C320 is ~37K, what do you reasonably expect to get a 328i for (36K?)

Originally posted by IS300inMA:
At $5K over invoice there will be one less IS300 sold in Massachusetts...

Looks like I'll wait for the new Mercedes or take another look at the BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys.... I agree in the first month of production, list price will be the way of the world. In Chicago, they are heavily discounting 3 series bimmers and A4's. I think that will spur on the discounting of the IS 300. Also keep in mind. Its not like they are going to make 1000 cars, they are going to make 25,000. If Toyota/Lexus wants to, I am almost positive they can make more with out any issues. Keep in mind, this is the best selling car in Europe. List price works only for so long!

BTW.. My wife has an A4.. the dealer in the begining gave me the whole run around BS about low supply etc, after a week, he sold it me for 1000 over invoice. Hopefully we'll have a clearer picture when all the info is in at www.carpoint.com

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can't wait until the vehicle arrives!!
BMW handling and performance, with Lexus reliability and solidness.. is it really bad to pay too much for a good thing??!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
19 Participants
Roadstar
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing