Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally notice a sulfur (rotten egg) smell after hard acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is it a problem? My car is at the dealer for the Trac upgrade and I mentioned it to them. I should find out tomorrow what they have to say.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's the smell from your cat most likely.

Try changing gas stations, because the sulfur content of the gas can also be combined with the air to form what smells like rotten eggs. What gas brand are you using?

Try driving for a while to get the cat hot and to allow it to break in i guess is the best way to put it.When the cat has reached the light up temp. it should operate. Also, make sure your a/f ratio is good...everything clean? air filter
? It can also be caused by running a little rich with bad gas, this would cause more unburnt gas to flow through the cat, thus the smell.

The cat's job is to convert HC, NOx, and CO into less harmful compounds. Lead, gasoline, and sulfur are bad for the cat.

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: Sublime00 ]

·
2,909 Posts
I remember alot of people mentioning that when they first got the car. Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as gas, I usually use Chevron or Fina since they are close by. I can't say that I notice the problem with one or the other. It probably does have to do with the sulfur content of the gas. The air filter is clean as the intake is fairly new. It will be interesting to see if the dealership blames it on the SRT intake. The dealership called yesterday afternoon and I thought they were going to say something about the intake. All they wanted was to keep the car overnight.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Originally posted by jiggafett:
I remember alot of people mentioning that when they first got the car. Sounds normal to me.
yup, i thinks so, too...
i used to have that smell, now i dont.

havent we discussed this "smell" like in last august or something?

·
Registered
180 Posts
It is fairly normal, cant say every new car i've been around had it, but lots of new cars have it, along with old cars (hence the gas factor also plays a role). However, breaking in process will have a byproduct of that smell for one reason or another. Shouldnt be a problem.
A friend of mine had that smell and passed emissions tests so the cat was clearly functional.

Let us know how it goes.

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: Sublime00 ]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yup i get it. If i drive pretty quick around and then stop it floats back in through my open windows and i can smell it. Also my friends tell me my car stinks when they drive behind me while i got fast.

Hopefully it will go away, 4000miles now

Sam

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer couldn't re-create the problem. I even tried driving it hard just before pulling into the dealership figuring someone would smell it. But it didn't smell. I'll see if I can correlate the smell to the type (brand) of gas I use.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by marke1:
I'll see if I can correlate the smell to the type (brand) of gas I use.
Try some big name gas, like Mobil or somthing, chances are they have less sulfur in their fuel. Sulfur in fuel also hurts the cat's ability to convert NOx. It takes time for the catalyst to regenerate, so long term use of "bad gas" will be bad. Regeneration will occur at temp only though, so driving around for a while keeping the cat hot is a good thing.

Did the dealer fill up the car with new gas or somthing?

btw - tid bit, Japanese gas is cleaner than american gas, concerning sulfur content. This is one reason why our gas is cheap, because we dont refine it to the level they do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts