Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum.
I'm about to buy my first IS300. I used to drive a S14, and I think it's about time for me to get a newer car. I was wondering what do I need to look for and stuff like that. Do I need to look for the years? and which year's IS is better? Sorry, I don't know anything about it. haha NEWB status.
Also, I was wondering about why are there a lot of people turbo their IS that's AUTO?? Maybe not a lot of people. I brought it up cuz I saw good amount of people that are selling their turbo IS that're AUTO

·
Registered
241 Posts
I personally like the 01 to 03...that's why I have an 02...ha! Truly, it's about personal preference. I would start with the amenities and work your way up to the color. After color, begin to look at what you need to do to the ride to make it your own. If it's in the budget and you feel peace about the decision, then do it! Have an awesome time shopping and let us know what you find after it's been found! Take care...

Reactions: Mikecolorama

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Color, LSD or not and auto or manual, in that order IMO.

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Oh by the way, welcome! Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lots of help. As well, I'm a newb, good info linked. +rep

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well manual for any non-pure-sports car is pretty rare in many places. Sport sedans tend to be mostly automatic since most people can't drive manual so they just buy it in automatic. Or others bought the IS to be a daily driver and didn't want to deal with manual. Today's world, there's mostly less manuals in a car that offers an auto unless it's a sports car for fun.

Another factor that really plays into the 1st Generation IS is the fact the auto is much stronger than the manual. It can hold much more power than a the manual and turbo IS owners find to have an auto is cheaper (not to mention it's easier to find). If you were to turbo a manual IS, you may need to get a tranny swap (depending on power) and that costs excessive amounts of money. Most people tend to get the getrag v150/v151 transmissions from supras for this situation though. Hope that helps you understand more on why there are mostly autos :D

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts