Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless you have a lot of experience racing at lights, I wouldn't use the E-shift. I recently went up against a 328i. In the heat of the moment I looked over at the other car and forgot to hit the E-Shift to the next gear. My IS300 red-lined and didn't automatically shift for me. That's when the Bimmer passed me. Unless, you're a real pro, I suggest putting the "power etc" button on and let the car shift for you. I was pretty pissed off for sitting in second gear watching my car get beat. Granted, if the guy in the Bimmer had manual and decent ability to shift he would have beat me anyhow. It just sucks when you f**k up.

Another thing I realize is this. There is no replacement for a manual transmission. With E-shift, you don't get a feel for the the car's engine/transmission and can't make that perfect shift. Clicking a button just doen't do the trick.

ELS

·
Registered
204 Posts
1. Unless you have mods that 328CI would have passed you if Mario Andretti was shifting

2. Same goes for the Type-S. The delay screws you up more than anything else. Just mash the carpet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
E-shift is a gimmick. I haven't read one car review where it says the e-shift made a marked improvement in acceleration times.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I suppose there's close to a one-second delay in shifting on your manumatic tranny as well, huh? In the CL-S I've learned to anticipate the shift by 200 rpm before it actually makes its way into third. It's a real PITA, but I know now that if I wanna hit 6900 in second that I need to be shifting at 6700 rpm in order not to redline. Make sense?

BTW, you should really be focused on front and center when launching from a street light race. You never know if someone's gonna dart out from a side street right in front of you. Save the glance over at your competitor for 70 MPH and beyond when you well into third next time.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I think e shift is better suited for mountain driving....down shift to save break etc. I use it for fun only.

·
Registered
150 Posts
e-shift is made for s-curves/ and curvy roads. Downshift for turns instead of breaking. Not for straight line acceleration.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most people like to discount the 328I, especially here and the Type-S boards. I have to say that if it is pulling hard and close when I race them then it has to be pulling even harder on an IS300 if not passing it. Looking at the statistics the IS300 is nimbler than the 328 but not by monumental proportions. Interesting race would be IS300 vs 328CI on windy road I think it would be damn close and if at the end their was a straitaway my odds might be on the Beamer. If there was not I would hope the IS300 would clean it.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
when i'm not paying attention in the M, at WOT i'll hit the rev limiter without realizing it...i'm not used to climbing up a gear that fast =)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by ELS:
Unless you have a lot of experience racing at lights, I wouldn't use the E-shift. I recently went up against a 328i. In the heat of the moment I looked over at the other car and forgot to hit the E-Shift to the next gear. My IS300 red-lined and didn't automatically shift for me. That's when the Bimmer passed me. Unless, you're a real pro, I suggest putting the "power etc" button on and let the car shift for you. I was pretty pissed off for sitting in second gear watching my car get beat. Granted, if the guy in the Bimmer had manual and decent ability to shift he would have beat me anyhow. It just sucks when you f**k up.

Another thing I realize is this. There is no replacement for a manual transmission. With E-shift, you don't get a feel for the the car's engine/transmission and can't make that perfect shift. Clicking a button just doen't do the trick.

ELS
E shifting will not help you in any way whatsoever if just going in a straight line. This is not like the Ferrari F1 style manumatic shifter. Letting the auto tranny do the shifting for you will work just the same as u pushing the buttons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts