Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at this space while relocating my battery to the trunk .
It would be sweet to install a kicker square sub woofer there, I don't think it's feasible though but it would be sweet.
I think it would be a lot of work to be happy with it, so I came here for input...

Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Road surface
Watch Rectangle Automotive lighting Gadget Font

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,232 Posts
I did this back in the day. You want an "Infinite Baffle" setup. As discussed here:

I bought one of those mounts from "Stereo Clarity" and used this sub:

Car Vehicle Azure Blue Fixture

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I just saw this done on the internet the other day when looking at a new HU for my car. After I do my turbo build I'll probably do this cause I still want to keep relative trunk space for grocery getting and road trips to carry luggage. its definitely been done and kind of depends on your music preference too from what I'm told unless your into heavy rap music you can fit a 10-12 in subwoofer back there easy and have some kicking sound.

Lexus Stereo Upgrade Transforms This IS300 Into A Modern Day Classic

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I did this back in the day. You want an "Infinite Baffle" setup. As discussed here:

I bought one of those mounts from "Stereo Clarity" and used this sub:

View attachment 140245
Thats a 12 inch right? I was wonder would that fit. That's what I would potienally get since most of my music is rock and alternative and from the little research I did that's really all I would need for extra bass. Also what about the people who sit in the back seat? will that vibrate a lot? I remember sitting in the back of this one dudes car next to the subwoofer not a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts

·
Registered
2002 is300
538 Posts
I didn't see that you put the battery in the trunk WITH the spare tire? can you do that?
I would say that's a no for me. If that rachet strap comes loose or more likely rubs through on the edge of the battery and flies into the side of the wheel and grounds out that's a fire hazard. Also, you need a sealed battery as acid batteries will just leak when on their side like that. There's some space on either side of the spare tire well you could maybe stuff a battery. Or just buy a battery box and put it in the trunk in the side cubbies.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I would say that's a no for me. If that rachet strap comes loose or more likely rubs through on the edge of the battery and flies into the side of the wheel and grounds out that's a fire hazard. Also, you need a sealed battery as acid batteries will just leak when on their side like that. There's some space on either side of the spare tire well you could maybe stuff a battery. Or just buy a battery box and put it in the trunk in the side cubbies.
Where? at I looked in the tire well I didn't see any space.and you mean side cubbies like in that little corner where the first aid usually is?

·
Mr. Roo
Super Moderator
10,232 Posts
Thats a 12 inch right? I was wonder would that fit. That's what I would potienally get since most of my music is rock and alternative and from the little research I did that's really all I would need for extra bass. Also what about the people who sit in the back seat? will that vibrate a lot? I remember sitting in the back of this one dudes car next to the subwoofer not a pleasant experience.
Yes, 12", which is plenty. Though, because it's infinite baffle, it does not have any resonant frequencies. While this provides a nice even response across the frequency range, it means it's not loud at all. For the back seat, the arm rest still folds back up normally and you can't tell it's there. I never blasted music with people in the back, but nobody ever had any issue. This thing isn't going to rock the car.

Here is a picture with the seat not installed to get a better view of how it fits in the opening.

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Camera Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2002 is300
538 Posts
Where? at I looked in the tire well I didn't see any space.and you mean side cubbies like in that little corner where the first aid usually is?
Oh my bad my trunk came a little abused so I assume I'm missing a plastic insert. In my car both those side pockets are just an open area. They are just a little cubby on the outer edge underneath the carpet. I have my amps in there but you might be able to stuff a small battery or maybe 2 small batteries in parallel.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
Oh my bad my trunk came a little abused so I assume I'm missing a plastic insert. In my car both those side pockets are just an open area. They are just a little cubby on the outer edge underneath the carpet. I have my amps in there but you might be able to stuff a small battery or maybe 2 small batteries in parallel.
Show me a picture if you don't mind when you get time of the cubby and the open spot in the tire well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I don't have any great ideas of how to mount it. This is hopefully temporary. I have a rubber pad where it lays on the rim and its pretty tight but still not confidence inspiring. I really wanted the trunk to look stock and flat. Any other ideas. Its a braille battery agm so its fine on its side. I will follow up here when I get it bolted down...

·
Registered
2005 Lexus Is300
112 Posts
I know I don't have any great ideas of how to mount it. This is hopefully temporary. I have a rubber pad where it lays on the rim and its pretty tight but still not confidence inspiring. I really wanted the trunk to look stock and flat. Any other ideas. Its a braille battery agm so its fine on its side. I will follow up here when I get it bolted down...
Yeah same I'm trying to find a way to put in the trunk where its out of the way I don't where else to put in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
504 Posts
I put mine in my trunk too, I drilled 2 holes where the spare goes and I got 2 12" long m7(strange I know) rods and jam nutted them in place and sealed them with silicone and red thread locker. That was closer to the fuel tank. I used the factory tie down and just cranked it in place haha. I had an amp wire already coming down my passenger side so I hooked that up to the positive wire up front, then found a new ground in the back, I suppose you could use the stock wheel screw thing, but I used another spot for some reason. I use that same breaker too, very nice to have and a cool part.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I built a shallow box to hold a single 12". It fits in the space very tight and leaves quite a bit of room in the trunk.

Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

I had to remount my shock brace rearward in order to clear it though. I am going to build another one similar to this but place the speaker rear facing with the port facing towards the armrest. My kids get a kick out of the air movement.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I did something similar on mine, i didnt want to loose the spare or any boot space in the wagon but didnt really care about loosing the junk above the spare.
Car Vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive design

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting White

The sub and amp are ancient so dont care too much if they arent quite right, its adding a little extra bass when i want it (or not when the wifes in the car), and still able to swap out the space saver if i get a flat if on holiday. And i have full working boot, so pretty happy about that. :cool:

·
Registered
2002 is300
538 Posts
I built a shallow box to hold a single 12". It fits in the space very tight and leaves quite a bit of room in the trunk.

View attachment 140296

View attachment 140297

I had to remount my shock brace rearward in order to clear it though. I am going to build another one similar to this but place the speaker rear facing with the port facing towards the armrest. My kids get a kick out of the air movement.
Looks a lot like a truck or as some call it wedge sub box. I was thinking about one of those but i like the infinite baffle idea.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus IS300 NA-T
541 Posts
I used the plans above to make an infinite baffle box for my ski pass through. I'm using an infinity 12 inch shallow mount subwoofer and I love the setup. I'm not a huge audiophile, but the subwoofer hits and sounds great to me.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Reactions: TobiasSing
1 - 20 of 30 Posts