Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying Bazooka's, two-tens 300-watt with amp included in the box. For only 300-watt they bump hard! In my friends car they do. lol

But then Again I might go a diffrent route if I receve some good answers in return to this thread.

So from you guy's here... What brand of subs and amp are good combos, What fit's (non-cutom boxes), and sounds the best in your IS300?

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
I'm planning on buying Bazooka's, two-tens 300-watt with amp included in the box. For only 300-watt they bump hard! In my friends car they do. lol

But then Again I might go a diffrent route if I receve some good answers in return to this thread.

So from you guy's here... What brand of subs and amp are good combos, What fit's (non-cutom boxes), and sounds the best in your IS300?
First of all.....bud, if you're in Plano I can build you a box for the same amount that you would have dropped on a POS pre-fab box.

What type of sub response are you looking for; SPL (loud) or SQ (sound quality)? Believe me, we can do muuuuuch better than those old school bazooka bass tubes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yea, bazooka isn't the best bass...I have JL's but I wouldn't recommend them because of their steep prices...but yea, give us some more information...what you want from your bass...and what car does your friend drive??

·
Registered
360 Posts
my setup is a MTX Thunder 5302 amp pushing a 10" L5. well my L5 just died after 7 years of use so i upgraded to a L7. now I'm looking to buy a bigger amp to push that. and my sub is in a fiberglass box filling in the dead space on the right side of the trunk and my amp is mounted on the back side of the seat.

if you looking for a local 300 watt amp im selling my MTX.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, bazooka isn't the best bass...I have JL's but I wouldn't recommend them because of their steep prices...but yea, give us some more information...what you want from your bass...and what car does your friend drive??
He's got a Mini Cooper 'S' they bumb louder than my friends two-twelves Polk with a JBL amp!

Crazy for only 300 watt's!

·
Registered
143 Posts
JL Audio 12's. Not the W6 or W7's. I wish they were more affordable. I've got the standard 12's from 4 years ago. I think it's 12W3v2. Running them on the JL Audio Slash 500 v1. They kick ass. I've listened to the Kicker 12's, both the standard and their bizarre square subs. All boom no quality. They're not what they used to be 10 years ago. I truly don't think there are quality subs (that are easily attainable at local stereo shops) aside from JL Audio. Yeah you can find as good if not better than JL if you do your homework, but in the end you have to make a lot of decisions on quality, availability, warranty, etc. Always listen to subs before you buy then decide what suits you best.

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
yea Kickers and PUNCH are good

·
Registered
254 Posts
alpine imo is the best VALUE. alpine infinity and jl are prob the tops. i worked in circuit city and kickers and polks arent bad either. but bazookas are terrible compared to any major brand on the market. xplods are better. dont get bazookas man

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
He's got a Mini Cooper 'S' they bumb louder than my friends two-twelves Polk with a JBL amp!

Crazy for only 300 watt's!

You wanna blow your friend's mind??

Buy a Digital Designs DD1508 (a single 8" subwoofer, yes... an EIGHT). You live in Texas, have Italyn build you a box for it. I'd put it in 1.25 cubic feet with a 20 square inch vent tuned to 35Hz.

Power it with 400 watts from something basic (hell buy a Fosgate 500a2 off of eBay for $80).

You will not believe the output from this woofer. Your buddy's bazookas will sound like freaking poofter queefs compared to this.... and it's ONE EIGHT.

Woofer: $140 or so
Amp: $80-$120 (just buy a used amp from eBay)
Box: $100-$200

Done and done. It'll sound like you have two twelves in the back.

Oh yeah... and in case you're skeptical about the abilities of this 8"...

YouTube - DD1508 full excursion
YouTube - dd 1508 altima coupe 08

I've seen 15s that don't do that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
is that DD 1508 strictly for ported inclosures? I looked on their site and see no mention of sealed applications.I want to add something base wise but mainly tight punchy base,not lookin to have the guy 3 cars in front of me get pissed.I need my trunk for all my work crap so 8" or 10" would be my choice spacewise.

edit-found all the ported specs on their site...

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
DD woofers are not made for sealed enclosures. The 9100 series can be used in infinite baffle setups... that's about it.

A single 1508 will be PLENTY punchy. Or.. for even more creativity... go for a pair of their W6.5 midbasses. Those can be thrown in DD spec ported boxes and used as subwoofers. I've heard it... it's incredible.

I've always wondered what a single DD 6.5 in a bigass 1.5 cuber tuned to 40Hz or so would do. I bet it would sound like a freaking twelve.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ever heard of the Kicker CVX?

these subs crap all over kicker solobarics. They do require a factory made ported box and atleast 500 watts though, 750 watts rms and 1500 peak power. I checked them out the other day at a local shop and it was hooked up to a Rockford 200.2.... 200 watts and it was mind blowing. I love Rockford, but I might trade in my Rockford Punch 3 subs for 2 Kicker CXVs.

I had two 12 inch Kicker Solobaric L5s in my car the other day and with my bass at -5 on the headunit and my gain 1/4 up on my amp the subs were vibrating my speedometer so much that I had no idea how fast I was driving, my sunroof looked like it was being hit from the inside and my vision went blurry everytime the bass hit. The CVXs are better...
also I was running my setup at 2 Ohms, 2 x 500 watts RMS

·
Registered
271 Posts
Throw in a BA G5 10''...clean clean bass with enough rattle for sure.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Ever heard of the Kicker CVX?

these subs crap all over kicker solobarics. They do require a factory made ported box and atleast 500 watts though, 750 watts rms and 1500 peak power. I checked them out the other day at a local shop and it was hooked up to a Rockford 200.2.... 200 watts and it was mind blowing. I love Rockford, but I might trade in my Rockford Punch 3 subs for 2 Kicker CXVs.

I had two 12 inch Kicker Solobaric L5s in my car the other day and with my bass at -5 on the headunit and my gain 1/4 up on my amp the subs were vibrating my speedometer so much that I had no idea how fast I was driving, my sunroof looked like it was being hit from the inside and my vision went blurry everytime the bass hit. The CVXs are better...
also I was running my setup at 2 Ohms, 2 x 500 watts RMS

Trust me... you want loud? Look in to DD and Audioque woofers. You gotta put them in big, really beefy ported enclosures and feed them shitloads of power... but it's output like you've never heard.

A Kicker CVX would be a fart in a tornado compared to even a lower midrange DD woofer. Even the $800 SoloX woofers will pale in comparison to a mid grade DD3500 let alone the big boys... the 9500 series.

Check it out:

DDAudio Digital Designs Speakers Made in the USA
AudioQue

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would take a look at a DD3500 if shops around my place actually had them. The CRXs are louder then L7's though...it's clean too. Also these subs use a different material for the outer ring, no weak foam. The only down side to a CRX is that it is only effective when you use the bulky factory ported box

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I would take a look at a DD3500 if shops around my place actually had them. The CRXs are louder then L7's though...it's clean too. Also these subs use a different material for the outer ring, no weak foam. The only down side to a CRX is that it is only effective when you use the bulky factory ported box
Your nearest DD dealer is in Lodi... Chucktronics.

Trust me on this one though. Forget about your Kickers... you want extreme low end, get a DD, call it done. DD holds just about every SPL world record for a reason.

And there is no way that the Kicker CVX is louder than an L7... but anyway, IMO, this is like comparing diarrhea to cornshit... but hey, and L7, when properly powered and in a properly built enclosure is pretty fucking loud. And I think it would be pretty stupid for Kicker to make one of their inferior models louder/better than their flagship.

And decent subwoofers haven't used cheapass foam surrounds since the late 90s...

We'll teach you yet....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts