Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought 2 Kicker S12L7's with the box it came in, it doesn't "knock" that hard. It sounds kinda bad. The box it came in is REALLY small. So my question is if I were to remove one subwoofer and cover up the opening, will the one subwoofer produce more bass since it has more box space?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not an expert but, I suggest you check the thiele/small paramaters for your speakers. These are measured by the manufacturer and may also include the enclosure volume and a recommended enclosure type (sealed, ported or bandpass). You might want to check the power you are putting into them speakers also. You may be under powering your amp.

I also suggest you go to this website: Basic Car Audio Electronics
Scroll to the bottom of the right hand side menu, and you will find some info on sub enclosures. You can also calculate the optimum size of the enclosure, according to the thiele/small parameters, in this website.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
you need to give us more info. from what you said it sounds like its two subs in a single enclosure with no partition between the two. so removing one and blocking off the opening may help, but thats a BIG may. It really depends on the size of the box. L7 are designed to be small sealed enclosure subs but they really seem to do their best in large ported enclosures. What is the size of the box. taking the outside dimensions and subtracting out the thickness of the walls will give you the internal volume (lxwxh). If it's a rectangle then it's simple, if its trapezoidal, just a little more math. post the numbers and I'm sure some one will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
you can get just one of those 12" l7s to knock your teeth out. How big is the box, dimension wise. Also how much power do you have behind the subs?

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
chris_hill said:
you can get just one of those 12" l7s to knock your teeth out. How big is the box, dimension wise. Also how much power do you have behind the subs?

Chris
I have these 2 subs in this box running off of a Rockford Power 1000.1. It slams!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
A huge mis-conception most people have is that a box is too small for the woofer. Indeed this can be the case, but power has just an equal effect on the performance of a sub! In most cases you can put a whole lot of power on a sub and get it to sound great in a box that is just slightly smaller that what is required. I would try adding power, or getting a custom enclosure built.

Chris

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NPB4ME said:
chris_hill said:

Chris
I have these 2 subs in this box running off of a Rockford Power 1000.1. It slams!!

That box looks exactly like mine! The dimensions are 28" wide, 14"Tall, and 14" Deep. I have the kicker kx600.1 amp pumping out 745 watts. Here is the thing, my friend bought 2 rockford fosgate subs from best buy with a 300 watt amp and his subs KNOCK! You can hear him from a few blocks. His subwoofers aren't just bass, but actual knock. My subs just have crappy bass and no knock. :-?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts