Lexus IS Forum banner

Subs just installed.

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  magoo 
#1 ·
Yesterday I just got 2 10" rockford fosgate p3 punch subs installed in the back. 1000w amp hooked up to it, but unfortunately I don't have a head unit yet. The subs sound awesome though and definately give the car a better quality sound to it. Only thing is that they're in a sealed box and it takes up about half the trunk space.

Reactions: JAEohEN
#2 ·
Very nice man. I bet they bang.

you gotta do soemthin like this to keep your trunk space:

You still have trunk space and you can still put the rear strut bar in there(thats coming) (+rep if u like them) :)

Reactions: JAEohEN
#3 ·
^nice...is that your amp mounted to the deck?

id be still scared to have stuff in the trunk slide around and hit the subs...you should pick up some grills for those...

+rep to both of you...to the author-get some pics man! install threads are worthless without pics...haha

#4 ·
It is mounted to the deck with 4 bolts. Those boxes arent going anywhere. They are velcroed to the side panels. Works real well. It actually takes some muscle to pull em off.

#6 ·
JAEohEN said:
+rep to both of you...to the author-get some pics man! install threads are worthless without pics...haha
Right now my friend has my camera, so hopefully I'll be able to get some pics up tomorrow night or so.

#7 ·
The ideal setup for most subs is to mount them firing at the trunk. When you mount them in the sides you will get cancelation :(

Nice setup either way. I still need to build myself an amp rack cover.

#8 ·
magoo said:
The ideal setup for most subs is to mount them firing at the trunk. When you mount them in the sides you will get cancelation :(
Not true! Please note that they are not facing each other but rather angled. This setup works very well as I did it in a Comp winning IS back in 2002.

#9 ·
lisnup65 said:
Not true! Please note that they are not facing each other but rather angled. This setup works very well as I did it in a Comp winning IS back in 2002.
Hmm. I thought I remember you saying those styles will get some cancelation. I have a poor memory in this forum :(

#11 ·
JAEohEN said:
i also heard that facing the subs to each other get cancellation...
I guess if they are directly aimed at each other. I thought this would cause at least some cancellation. I do know, however, that facing them at the trunk produces the best results. I've tried it with about 10 different applications and all had the best results facing the trunk.

#12 ·
magoo said:
I guess if they are directly aimed at each other. I thought this would cause at least some cancellation. I do know, however, that facing them at the trunk produces the best results. I've tried it with about 10 different applications and all had the best results facing the trunk.
Yes if you direct them at each other you will actually cause them to fight each other. It can decrease overal output!

I also agree that rear facing subs produce the most SPL, but they do NOT produce the best SQ. Use a simple sealed enclosure and corner load, then face rear ward then face forward with a RTA reading the response curve and you will be amazed.

#13 ·
yes, i did fiberglass them myself. it was a rather fun process and a long one at that. I did it between work full time and school and it took me about 2 months working on and off. The end result however was well worth it. Originally i was going to go alittle more crazy but after 2 months of fiberglass i decided to just stick with the boxes.

As for the talk of a cancellation issue. I havent really noticed anything when listening. As a matter of fact it sounds really good. The perfect amount of bass. And you can definately hear it full power out of the car. My buddy says when im in back of him you can hear it over his.

Blayne, just make sure you tape off your trunk panel really well if you are going to do it. I thought i taped mine off well but it leaked through the smallest bit. Nothing that anyone would notice. But since i did it ill notice it. You cant see it with hte subs in there anyway.

Also, i dont think they are exactly at the same angle because i did it by eye. I think i got them close but it isnt exact. What exactly would happen if they cancel eachother out? Just be softer?

Hope this helps guys. hopefully ill be getting the reat strut bar soon to complete my trunk. Ill post some pics then.

Later,
Mike

#14 ·
Mike -
The angle we are talking about is aiming them directly at each other, parallel to the ground. That would cause the wave cancellation.

You did a very nice job. I am looking into doing this, but by the time I do, I will probably sell my car.

How long did it take you overall? I know 2 months, but work hours?

#16 ·
sp33dy714 said:
how do you hook up the sound system to you factory radio?
LLC's.

It converts the rear 6x9 source to an RCA. Some amplifiers have that built in.

You maintain the use of the rear speakers, as well. Very simple.

#18 ·
sp33dy714 said:
is there a DIY thread on how to do this?
A few, searching is difficult, I've found it once or twice. Try "fiberglass tutorial" or something to that effect, I'm too lazy.

#19 ·
I found a tutorial maybe not on this site though. For this project i didnt use it but it could get you started.

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

That site is one i found a long time ago.

I think i have enough pictures to do a DIY tutorial on the process if there are enough people interested. If people are ill hopefully have one by the end of the week for you.

As for number of house put into this project? I would have to say around 30-35 hours all together.

#20 ·
There is one where a guy does it in the hatch of a Tiburon, I believe. Tapes it up, shows the process of using dowels to support the rings the subs are screwed into. Its the best write up I have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.