Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is trying to decide between the two ....

The most important thing to him is tuning potential. I know there are some seriously fast WRX's out there but I also heard there will be a ton of turbo applications for the IS 300 in the near future (By the way someone told me the IS has the same egine as Supras...minus the turbo-is this true?).

Basically which car would end up being the fastest and/or provide the most bang for the buck engine tuning wise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stock to Stock, WRX will wacked IS300, auto or 5-speed. And since it's a Turbo charged to begin with, it has MUCH more potential. If you are talking about adding Turbo/SC or engine swap, there are always STi parts for WRX.

If your friend is looking for tuning ability, nothing else, and are choosing between WRX and IS300, WRX is the one to get.

Andy Kuo

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMHO this is a no brainer... If you're simply comparing 0-60 then the WRX wins; however, if you're looking at the whole package(which includes style, reliability, the Lexus moniker, style[again]), the IS300 wins by an avalanche...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think the IS300 should be more tune-able. The WRX is already turbo charged at 12-15psi, how much more torbo can you add? IT's a 4 cylinder after all and is already very close to it's limit.

Is300's I-6 on the other hand, is much more capable of tuning up in turns of turbo or SC. You put in a 12-15psi and you will get about 300hp.

I always think that more displacement will benefit from force induction more. So IMO a 3 liter engine turbo will be stronger than a 2 liter engine turbo.

Of course I am no export, just my instinct. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hmm potential, id disaggree i think it will be alot easier to get an is300 to say 500 hp then a WRX. Id bet a stock is300 tranny(5spd) will take 500hp with a upgraded clutch. I doubt a WRX one will. Just my opinion.
And the WRX is so damn ugly(otherwise id buy one)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
from what i heard the WRX is good for speed, HOWEVER, its HORRIBLE for turns and cornering...
however, it all depends on what u want..
IS300 is good for looks, nice speed and great turns..
WRX is UGLY, great speed, and bad turns

up to you...

cant imagine many girls wanting to get into a WRX over a nice IS300..just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well I like them both too but, I bought a lexus because of the luxury, the subaru is fast but ugly to me, it looks like a hyundai accent! It is also $10,000 dollars less than the lexus? I love the top mounted intercooler and scoop on the wrx, Sweet!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i would have to go with IS if you are comparing potential.. both cars come with decent pwer and tuned suspension(WRX makes up for it with 4WD) and yes it is true that supras and IS's share an identical engine(non-twin turbo) as someone pointed out before, WRX already comes turbo charged and you will be able to crank out more by putting a after market turbo in but won't come close to turboed IS
WRX is damn ugly..

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is really no comparison, one is a luxury sport sedan and the other is the boy racer spawn of a very sucessful rally campaign. IS is faster, I have raced WRXs and they are rally not all that quick stock. IS has more potential, I have seen 700hp out of the stock 2JZ bottom end. IS is gonna be more expensive for parts and pretty much everything else, including the $10K more to buy the thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by dpatterson069:
from what i heard the WRX is good for speed, HOWEVER, its HORRIBLE for turns and cornering...
however, it all depends on what u want..
IS300 is good for looks, nice speed and great turns..
wtf? I keep reading WRX has amazing handling, better then the previous generation which is a bit darty.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
now if the WRX looked like the Celica, ID be SOLD

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
break down:
the WRX is cheaper and quicker...the IS is nicer and much more stable around turns.

in terms of tunability: we sport the 2JZ-GE engine, anybody remember the Supra? i love this engine. It's not exactly the same, but the potential on it is unbelievable. some supras are throwin down 600 to the wheels, no sweat. like I said, our engine bay is smaller, and the engine is a different revision, but the roots are still there.

in terms of racing, the IS should take a WRX because of cornering. what good is acceleration, if you gotta slow way down on a turn? the structure of teh scooby isn't too safe, i've heard. didnt they take out the sunroof because of structural integrity problems?

next topic: style: IS wins w/no contest. plus its a lexus: it turns heads, its got reliability, and its stylish.

im not dissing the WRX, but i think the IS has better racing potential.

sorry for the long post. just my 2¢....

[edit] oh yeah, and with some of the stageI S/C's coming out, we are seeing over 260 HP to the wheels on only 6-7 PSi(A51), SRT and TRD are also coming out with one, and im sure there will be some turbo's coming out soon also

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: scoot557 ]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stock:

You guys are crazy to think an IS300 can beat a WRX. Have you seen the WRX at the autocross by chance? Try taking an IS300 up against the WRX at the autocross...good luck. How about a roadcourse? Try taking an IS300 against a WRX at say...a motor speedway...good luck again.

Potential:

When you say potential...that can mean alot of things. One of the most important factors is money, and how far you plan to go with the car. Don't tell me that the IS300 has more potential because you can drop in the twin turbo Supra engine. That would cost you thousands for the engine work. I didn't design the IS300 but I can tell you that the IS300 drivetrain cannot even come close to handling that kind of power. You need big bucks to up your drivetrain also. Dropping in a supra engine is on the maximum end of the spectrum for "potential".

Now if we are talking about giving < $1000 to both an average WRX and IS300 owner to prepare for an autocross,road course, or drag strip...the WRX would rule in all categories in acception to the drag strip if the IS300 owner blows the whole $1000 on a nitrous kit and stripping his car down to just the frame.

When the amount spent goes over $5,000...it becomes a bit hairy because it will depend on the tuner and his abilities.

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Unicron ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, this is actually my delimma right now... to decide between a RWD semi-luxo car, or an AWD rally bred turbo car.

I've had all three types of cars (FWD turbo probe a long time ago, AWD Eagle Talons, AWD Stealth RT/TT, and RWD 240 and 280z's (datsun's for you younger folks
. Gotta love those straight 6 and RWD cars, but then again, the 4cyl AWD cars have way more power due to turbo's... arghh!

I much prefer the AWD for rain and snow (chicago), and over all launches from streetlight to streetlight (kills most anything on the road, especially my late 400+hp stealth).

RWD is way better than FWD in any case, and yes, the Lexus does have that "it's a lexus you dumba$$, not a civic with altezza tails!" quality to it. A little upscale... But RWD really sucks in the snow, and the TRAC is useless (I can cut power and control the car better IMO myself, rather than have a computer screw up my intentional do-nuts, or was that do-nots?

I've test driven both extensively, and I would say the IS is more tossable, but also more sensitive. The WRX is very solidly built, even more so with the current model, and *IMO* The IS and WRX actually look similar parked next to each other. I don't care for the front of either really, the WRX just a tad uglier. The IS HID lights look killer though!

My friend works for Lexus/Toyota, and lives right next door... he actually had the m/t RED IS300 prototype with the million spoke 18" wheels on a trailer here about 3+months ago. There was no VIN number on the car, so we couldn't have much fun with it.

The WRX is 5speed, the 5speed IS is still hard to get from what I hear. Then there is the 10,000$ price difference, I would probably not want to spend the extra 10k just to have a lexus badge on my car even though it was designed as a Toyota... however, Lexus service and dealerships seem to be a cut above the rest, and the old adage, you get what you pay for comes to mind.

Warranties are about the same, reliability for subaru is usually very high, and you really cannot forget the fact that it is AWD, something you can never easily add to the IS.

So... I'm still stuck. I have the ability to buy a demo with ~6000 miles on it for around 25k (it had been stolen too, so that really unnerves me), or just wait for the 2nd year of the WRX, and buy that (I would not want to buy a first model year car of any type, from past experiences.).

The WRX is just as much but brand new, and I think a tad more comfortable. The Boxer engine is low and flat, which helps the car handle really well, with very little body roll, even though it rides higher than the IS (stock). I bet it has a lower center of gravity. I do like the double wish-bone on the IS, but the WRX is simpler.

To turbocharge a non-turbo, high-compression engine, you need to do a lot of work, and cannot run a lot of boost unless you use different pistons at least to lower compression. Then you gotta realize you will have traction issues due to only having RWD, and worse, sometimes no LSD rear end!

Stock for stock, the WRX will win every time, and the WRX can get a larger turbo easily (it uses a single mitsubishi turbo similar to the ones found on european 3000gt TT VR4's (aka GTO's).

I truly think, any car has potential... the more money you throw at it, but you mentioned "bang for the buck". The WRX does have the most bang for the buck (10,000$ less, and already more power and traction than the IS, and similar handling and dimensions)

I'm really glad someone brought this comparision up, because at first thought, you would think there is no comparision. Glad to know most IS owners aren't snooty like some of the other ahem.. luxo-car owners.

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards the WRX, but that could always change.

OH, as a side note, I think my friend told me that there is a prototype IS with a 4 or 4.3l v8 engine stuffed in there, at some training/tech center... if it had that, ther

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, I'm not trying to start a flame war BUT- :lol:!

You all are saying the IS can take the WRX in a curve? You have got to be kidding me! I have driven both and can tell you the WRX will take an IS any day in the twisties, plus it is faster in a straight line. This is stock for stock, of course.

The WRX has Subaru's AWD system to begin with, and a very compliant but stiff suspension. Add that to a chassis that is improved over an already awesome one (Gen 1 Impreza/GC8) and you have one amazing handling car!

Now- the IS is obviously a Lexus (DUH
), and as such you get Luxury in a fun to drive vehicle. You also get Lexus's excellent customer service which does beat the hell out of Subaru's. In fact, I would consider buying one except for the fact it is rear wheel drive.

As far as tuneability goes, the Subaru aftermarket is about to explode, as with the IS's. I would say the IS has more horsepower potential, but as far as a true "race" potential goes (power,suspension,braking), I'm positive the WRX wins, tarmac or off of it.

If I were you and you can deal without Luxury, get the WRX- you will be happier in the long run- if tuneability and a true "race" vehicle is what you are after...

·
Registered
1 Posts
you guys are nuts for even making a comparison. IS300, ~32,000. WRX ~24,000. Spend about 5g's on the wrx by buying a cobb/aps stage 2 kit and you've got yourself a 12second monster with awd.
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/my01/rt_spec_review/rt_spec_review1.html
http://cobbtuning.com/ssi/osb2/itemdetails.cfm?ID=95

The wrx has just been released and most of them are running 13's with less than $500 worth of upgrades. I'd like to see how much you'd have to spend to get your is300 running 13's.

If you want a pretty grocery getter and your precious hiney just can't live without leather and some ugly ass confusing chrono-style instrument cluster, then the clear choice is the is300 . If you're into auto-x, rally, etc...(ie: a drivers car), the wrx can't be matched.

Just my thoughts...flame away all you guys want, but any idiot knows that the wrx is clearly the best performer of the bunch. Unless you like fronting, who gives a crap about how ugly the wrx is...its inexpensive, its got lotsa potential, its easily "modable," and its japanese.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Handling is one of the WRX's strongest points. It was never meant to be a drag racer or even a road racer, though it does pretty well at both, considering.

The 4 is already turboed but can handle alot more. This car is majorly detuned compared to the overseas sti's. Similar cars have been cranked up to 600hp with larger turbo, etc. Reliability and driveability on the street become concerns at that point for any vehicle, IS or WRX irregardless.

ANy car can be modified to go fast. As the saying goes "How fast do you want to spend?". The WRX and IS are both a different class of car. IS is sporty luxury, the WRX is essentiually a rally car with the volume turned down for the street. Both are potentially very fast cars. The good thing is that volume can easiliy and cheaply be turned up anytime I want

·
Registered
2 Posts
No flames here either... but man some of you are poorly informed.

The WRX no longer has a sun roof because it has an entire roll cage, including roll bar going through there. Ummmm - they didn't really want to cut through it. And aside from a top-slider (crap) they knew it was best not to in order tp keep the car as rigid as possible.

As for the handeling - dude, where in the world did you hear the WRX handles terribly??? Goodness, that's what it's known for. Read a review for g/d's sake. And as far as having to slow down before entering a turn - I don't think so!! Ok, so I have a WRX, and let me just inform you - AWD rally cars do not handle and corner poorly. Maybe you will understand this - it will outcorner my pop's '99 M3 on dry pavement b/c of it's active rear end and the front still pulling it through and if it's wet or dirt... forget about it (for the M3 that is).

Hopefully this helps to clear up some misconceptions.

1 - 20 of 400 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.