Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From current autoweek

0-60 in 5.9
215hp
215lb/[email protected]
Top Speed=143
(very close to IS300, but 0-60 is quicker because it is a lighter car)

The reviewer expects that it will develop a cult following in the USA like it has in the UK...

·
2,909 Posts
I have a mag. from the UK my friends got me while there 2 weeks ago. It has detailed info. on this car, I will post whatever info. I can later on this evening.

------------------
'01 Graphite Gray Pearl

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
With a manual, the IS might better match it. But then the Subaru will have the aws advantage. Still, it's an ugly ass car.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Say what you want, I think it's very cool that we're finally getting a mid twenties, awd burner that's reliable and can be modified. But I thought the SVX was cool so what do I know?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
From current autoweek

0-60 in 5.9
215hp
215lb/[email protected]
Top Speed=143
(very close to IS300, but 0-60 is quicker because it is a lighter car)

The reviewer expects that it will develop a cult following in the USA like it has in the UK...
Let's be real here.. In the real world, 6.8-7.1 is the most likey time in the 0-60 run.

News Flash: The Subaru has to be one of the ugliest cars on the road. I would rather drive a Ford Focus then an ugly assed Subaru.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree totally. Since I haven't bought an IS yes (waiting for the manual) I am definitely going to look into the Subaru as well.

The only thing that worries me a little bit is that I am used to the buttery smooth V6 in my ES so I may be a bit dissapointed with the turbo 4 cyl in the Subaru. We'll see I guess. I am definitely a sucker for turbos and awd, so there is a pretty good chance I will like it.

The New Subaru Impreza site, www.new-impreza.com is claiming 227hp and has some new pictures available if anyone is interested...

Jeff

Originally posted by brad:
Say what you want, I think it's very cool that we're finally getting a mid twenties, awd burner that's reliable and can be modified. But I thought the SVX was cool so what do I know?

[This message has been edited by Jeff Taylor (edited November 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've put myself on the waiting list for the scoobie.

although the IS is a very cool car, I just can't say no to an AWD, fast car for under $30k.

As for looks, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
No disrespect intended...but damn that is a butt ugly car...again that is just my opinion. Sorry its just not for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As a fan of rally racing I love subaru Imprezas, but I don't know if i can stomach the new bodystyle, ugh... The headlights just don't work with the rest of the car. I hope the new Impreza looks much better in person.

·
2,909 Posts
The info. in the mag is not as good as I thought it was.

The Impreza will go on sale after the British Motor Show, and will have 247 bhp engine and a stiffer chassis. The turbo will be joined by two other varients, one will be a normally aspirated 2.0-litre engine producing 123bhp, the other will be a 94bhp 1.6 creating an entry-level, five door-only model.

The car is being bashed for the fact it look very much like the euro version of the Corolla at least just the front end.

The turbo four door should start around 24,000 pounds.

------------------
'01 Graphite Gray Pearl

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Although the Brits get a WRX, it's not the same car as the US WRX, though the name's the same. The US one will be 215 hp (I heard 225) as TEG said. And you can believe 5.9sec 0-60, because the current European Impreza Turbo sedan has 215 hp and does 0-60 in about 5.6 or 5.9 sec. 215hp is probably less that it'd get on a dyno, current version gets about 225hp. My guess is they'll fix the lights in the next year model, cause NO ONE likes them, in US, Europe or Japan.

Originally posted by jiggafett:
The info. in the mag is not as good as I thought it was.

The Impreza will go on sale after the British Motor Show, and will have 247 bhp engine and a stiffer chassis. The turbo will be joined by two other varients, one will be a normally aspirated 2.0-litre engine producing 123bhp, the other will be a 94bhp 1.6 creating an entry-level, five door-only model.

The car is being bashed for the fact it look very much like the euro version of the Corolla at least just the front end.

The turbo four door should start around 24,000 pounds.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's kind of one of those cars that I look at and say, "It's ugly but...." There's just something about it intrigues me. Hell, it kicked some assh in Gran Turismo.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
But I thought the SVX was cool so what do I know?
hey hey hey the SVX is cool, and it will be a classic in a few years, maybe even an appreciating asset if you happen to pick one up right now, especially since they can be had for 10 or so grand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The following is from page 10 of the November 20, 2000 issue of AutoWeek:

First Drive

Cult forms to the right: Impreza WRX will impress

The Subarus Impreza WRX is as much a part of contemporary British life as a
lackluster national soccer team, dark beer served warm and Prime Minister Tony
Blair's scary grin. During the past five years Impreza has morphed into the United
Kingdom's cultists' cult car. It is an accolade achieved through a combination of
addictive performance, sharp pricing and Briton Colin McRae winning the 1995
World Rally Championship in an Impreza insouciantly chewing up gravel roads,
rarely at less than 45 degrees to the intended direction of travel.

You might wonder what the fuss is, given the American perception of Subaru as
purveyor of all-wheel drive to the Snowbelt. Equipping Subaru's lusty flat-four with
a turbocharger was a starting point. Bumping power to 218 hp helped. Making the
thing stop, turn and--critically--deliver warp-factor third-gear acceleration made
Impreza immensely seductive to the McRae'd masses.

This where the story get complicated for the U.K. and simple for the United
States. The U.S. angle? WRX arrives in spring 2001. Advice? Form an orderly
queue now. To understand the U.K. Subaru family tree, read on.

In Japan, the top-model Impreza Turbo is labeled WRX: 280-hp, zero-travel
suspension, and gearing so short Lance Armstrong could use it to win an alpine
time trial. But the Japan-market WRX doesn't meet European noise or emission
laws--nonetheless, thanks to a legal loophole, earnest British car nerds imported
WRXs privately.

To counteract this threat, Subaru U.K. commissioned the limited-edition
240-horsepower RB5--named for rally star Richard Burns--and the P1,
re-engineered by Prodrive, the British company that designs, engineers and
operates the World Rally team.

That, then, is the genus of the new-generation WRX in Britain. Had to handle
brilliantly to surpass RB5 and P1. Had to offer a shade less aural intensity at
highway speeds. Couldn't lose any sharpness, betray the slightest hint of
middle-aged spread or Impreza's tight relationship with some of the U.K.'s most
strident auto-evangelists would fade.

Didn't matter so much about some goofy styling touches. Those wide-eyed
headlights are distinctive, but don't play too comfortably with a snarling radiator
grille: Rally-influenced fender blisters and 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels add
visual heft. The interior, too, trades high-cheese plastics for decently surfaced
moldings, with fake aluminum trim pieces.

Suspension is strut all-around, with revised pick-up points and geometry, a new
hydroformed front subframe and raised rear roll center. The bodyshell is now 250
stiffer, 2.6 inches longer and the tread around an inch wider: more interior space
meets greater dynamic stability.

The 121-cubic-inch flat-four, with three catalysts for improved cold-start emission
performance, remains pegged at 218 hp--U.S. models will lose 3 horsepower--with
a torque peak of 215.4 lb-ft arriving at 3600 rpm. Top

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was just in Tokyo and saw the Impreza on the road and it looks great. When I first saw the picture of the car, I thought it was the nastiest looking thing. I would have had the old WRX. But hey that the same thing I thought about the Prelude when it came out. Those big squared front headlight. But now I think the car is kind of cool. Its just getting used to. I bet after the first year, Subaru will probaby sell the Impreza Rally Edition and thats very nice. Well just looking forward to test drive that car. Lets hope that Subaru sells a ton of these cars because then Mitsu may then bring over the Lancer Evo VII for some competition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts