Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After leaving my amp sitting around in my cargo net for months, i'm finally getting around to making a mount for it... however i have a question regarding a possible clearance problem. Refer to the pictures below:

for reference, there is approximately 1.5 - 2 inches from the lowest point of the sub to the top of the amplifier.

Just want to know if this is enough clearance for the amp, or if the magnetic forces from the sub will kill it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i would say it would be ok. BUT better safe than sorry. Could you mount the amp a litter farther from the sub? I dont know if you want a spare tire but if you mounted the amp in the spare tire space with some glass layed over and some mirror around it ,it would look awesome. :D

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason i put it there is because i want to have access to my spare. don't really want to risk getting stranded somewhere just because of a flat tire..

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
mount the amp standing up, like vertically. Sorta like the Playstation 2, you can either rest it down or stand it up.
Well you could stand the amp up and make lil supporters for it to mount?
Oh and place that amp right at the edge of the hump and it should give you a lot of room?

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
In my years I have not had any ill effects from close mounting to a sub. Todays subs on the other hand have extremely strong magnets compared to those of even just a few years ago. To the most part I feel that it will be OK. Its really no different than a Home Theatre sub with the amp internally mounted in the enclosure.

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have the amp mounted, along with a cap. I'll get some pics of the work in progress and post it up. unfortunately I have a problem with the sub rubbing against the seatback, so it rattles. I guess I miscalculated it when I cut the hole for the sub.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
hey irv...couldn't you mount your amp to the side of the trunk...like where your first aid kit is but on the other side? you could then get your spare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts