Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, does having different size tires and rims have any risks associated with it? I have 17" rims with stock Lexus tires on the two front wheels, and 16" rims with taller profiles on the back two tires. (Obviously, the rear sets are not going to perform as well.) But other than that, is there anything else that I should be aware of?

I'm going to get alignment tomorrow. Does having different rims and tires on the front vs. the back wheels affect alignment in any way? For example, would the alignment become mis-aligned any quicker, etc.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally, I would. I bought some 16" rims with all-season tires over on clublexus.com for winter driving. They were originally for the GS3/400, and the guy told me that they would fit on an IS no problem. When I went to install them, they rubbed against some control arm or something, so I couldn't put them in the front. The rear had no problems. Any way, the tires are significantly taller profile, so that the rear wheels actually have a LARGER diameter than the front 17"s. But thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone know it would cause any problems with alignment?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only if its a 4wd drive car without a center diff is that REALLY REALLY BAD. however with a 2wd car its okay, it just messes up the gear ratio's slightly.

however if it messes up your camber, toe, etc i wouldnt think so, or at least not enough to notice for daily everyday driving.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you put a taller or shorter tires in the rear it will change the corner weights on all 4 wheels. Which changes the handling balance of the car at higher cornering speeds. A taller wheel in back, for example, will move weight from the rear to the front tires and suspension. Different types of tires (tread, and an aspect ratio) between the front and rear will create handling imbalances and impact braking distances. Combine the changes in weight distribution and tire mismatch with a slick road. Now the unthinkable happens, you are forced into an accident avoidance manuver and lose control of your car because you screwed up the handling?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
It might affect your stopping power in an emergency situation. Because the ABS system will think that the front and back wheels are spinning at different speeds, it will sense slippage and engage the ABS sooner then necessary.

·
Registered
847 Posts
don't worry about handling and blah blah blah...the difference is insignificant, in terms of weight balance...it'l like having a full tank of gas as opposed to half a tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts