Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed my spark plugs last night and now getting a CEL with a blinking TRAC. Car is idling at 3000, is it possible that the throttle is just not calibrated right? What is a good way to check if the throttle is in the correct position?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, solved the RPM issue, CEL and blinking TRAC are still on. I originally had the SK19R plugs in the car, store gave me NGK BKR6E-11 as a replacement. Reading other threads indicates that a blinking TRAC is a misfiring problem. Went to Autozone this morning and picked up the DENSO IK16 5303 plugs, going at it right now.

If anyone can shed some insight in the meantime, laptop is sitting next to the car.

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran the code and is showing P0120 A Malfunction with the Throttle Body Sensor. My dad thought it needed to be removed while I was having a smoke and I came back in and he had that "dad look" on his face like he F'ed something up...he did.

So the question is now, what is the best way to fix this? There are two philips screws on it, can I just loosen these and play with it until the code goes away?

I read a thread about checking the Kohms for each wire, is this going to be the case here?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
he took off the TPS sensor? not sure how to mess around with that ,but if its currently off, i would put it back on haha. make sure too while youre at it, there arent any vacuum leaks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any good ways of testing vacuum leaks (other than just looking around)?

The P0120 says circuit malfunction which leads me to believe the problem in internal on the TPS, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Any good ways of testing vacuum leaks (other than just looking around)?

The P0120 says circuit malfunction which leads me to believe the problem in internal on the TPS, any thoughts?
You need to reset the ECU.Make sure everything is plugged in where it should be before doing it .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to reset the ECU.Make sure everything is plugged in where it should be before doing it .
Unplugging the neg on batt to clear, or do I need to do something else. I've tried this several times, and continue to get the P0120 code, if a vacuum hose was loose wouldn't I receive a separate CEL code for that as well?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
^ Yes unplug the battery terminal, but wait atleast 5 mins or so before plugging it back in. Folks usually think you unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. You can also remove the ECU's fuse, but I forgot what its called.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've also been told that to speed up the process you can unplug the neg and press down on the brake, kinda of like holding down the power button on your laptop when you get the blue screen of death. I think the term is "power cycle" but not sure.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
i say take pics of the engine bay and post them.

especially mid-back of the engine bay

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doing some more reading, I may be looking at the wrong spot. Is it correct that the Throttle Position Sensor is next to the Throttle cable and not on the front (closest to the oil cap), which I now believe is the Throttle Position Sensor Switch?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, pulled out the sensor and tested each terminal. The terminals resistance was within the alotted amount which I believe was .2 - 4.8 Kohms. So we plugged everything back in, plugged in the OBD II Scanner, erased the P0120 code, started her up and let idle for at least 20 minutes with sporatic revs throughout and CEL and blinking TRAC are gone.

From what I can tell, crisis everted and the IS is back on the road!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Alright, pulled out the sensor and tested each terminal. The terminals resistance was within the alotted amount which I believe was .2 - 4.8 Kohms. So we plugged everything back in, plugged in the OBD II Scanner, erased the P0120 code, started her up and let idle for at least 20 minutes with sporatic revs throughout and CEL and blinking TRAC are gone.

From what I can tell, crisis everted and the IS is back on the road!
Have you checked the wiring back to the source?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts