Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to install my new suspension and was annoyed in finding that I can't seem to detach the front upper ball joint, blocking the oem coil from coming out. Initially I tried to hammer it out, which was futile, leading me to rent a ball joint separator pitch fork, which didn't work either, and managed to ruin my boot. I returned the fork and picked up another separator, which didn't work either, and now I'm thinking I should have just kept the fork since my boot was ruined anyways. I haven't been shy with using PB Blaster either, which hasn't helped to my knowledge. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just rent the fork again and stand on it? I have two pictures of where I'm at right now (the second of which shows the bottom of the tool shifting due to the stubbornness of the ball joint) with the second separator still in place and am unable to proceed. Any help would be great.

1.jpg
2.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so that tool worked perfectly, despite the concerns of those working at Advance Auto. My next question however. was that now that I have removed the strut and compressed the spring, I found out that the rubber boot that covers the strut is nearly torn in half. Should i replace it with a new one? And if so, where would I find one.

Also, what would be the best front upper ball joint because I need to replace mine and all I've read about is SPC and clearance issues people have had with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4815722040 - Shock Absorber Boot (Front) For Toyota - febest

I actually had decent luck with these off amazon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts