Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
strut bars connect the tops of the shock/strut mounts. this provides more rigidity to the frame but not allowing the car to "twist". there are strut bars for both the front of the car and the rear.

sway bars connect the suspension at the control arms i believe. what this does is keeps the cars tires more firmly planted by creating less "body roll". by having more contact with the road, you will of course have a lot more control over your car and a less of a chance of doing a 720. =P

mike

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The sway bars are like a tortion-bar/spring that tries to keep the left and right side tires (in the front OR rear) at the same distance from the body. If you had a really stiff sway bar and went around a corner real fast (such that the body started to lean) then the outside tire could actually start to lift off the ground even though the shock was not extended very far. Basically the sway bars are an arm that connects the left and right sides trying to get them to work together (to some degree).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does IS300 come with strut and sway bars?
Does the CL-S?
Does the Integra GSR?
How about Honda Prelude

·
Registered
442 Posts
honda, acura, toyota, nissan..all the main import cars have strut/sway bars alailable. IS300 sometime in the future.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The IS300 comes with front and rear sway bars. It does not have "strut tower braces".

GPR is talking about aftermarket products that can be added. For instance you might want to get "beefier" sway bars (to replace the stock units) if you wanted to make the car have more aggressive handling.

Note: Sometimes the "sway bars" are called "stabilizer" bars.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think the honda prelude has "strut tower braces", my friend recently got one and i didnt see one.. What's more effective on handling struts or sway? thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
323 Posts
the GSR has stock front and rear sway bars, and a stock front strut bar. althought they aren't that "meaty" to begin with, they do help a little to the handling aspect of the car. all major japanese car manufacturers develpp some sort of following and you can almost always expect aftermarker parts for them in the future. just look at the plethora of parts for the integra and civic. its mind boggling. i was looking at the engine bay of the IS and it looks pretty hard to fit a front strut bar on there. i'm sure it can be done but it looks like a tough squeeze.

mike

·
Registered
442 Posts
I noticed the same thing as mike did with the IS. But then I'm not too sure how the clearance is between the hood and the top of the motor is when the hood is down...there might be a way to SQUEEZE in a tower bar. I would rather wait for a TRD tower bar than get a cheaper one, just cause of the others might not fit as well. You can't go wrong with a TRD part anyways.

Sorry for the confusion...i meant aftermarket struts and sways.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Strut tower braces actually prevent loss of negative camber on the outside tire while under heavy cornering. The attachment to the inside strut tower will preven the outside tower from flexing away, thereby reducing the negative camber of the tire.

Someone told me a good test to see how much yours are flexing is to stretch fishing line between the towers. Go drive hard and when you come back you may have snapped the line or stretched it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey, if they can fit a strut tower bar under the hood of a 300ZX then they can fit a strut tower bar in ANYTHING.

I've heard that strut tower bars increase the directness feel of the steering through the corners.

Some swaybars come in the adjustable variety, the only one I know of specifically is a rear, for the Scooby RS.

I dont know about any other cars, but the TL, CL and V6 accords aftermarket Swaybars are 25mm thick. I hear most others are somewhere from 22-25mm thick, of course, most of where I'm coming from is a Honda/Acura.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For cornering, I think sway bars help more.

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2000-07-14 17:08, Juggaknot wrote:
i dont think the honda prelude has "strut tower braces", my friend recently got one and i didnt see one.. What's more effective on handling struts or sway? thanks for your help guys
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gay_Lloyd_Focker on 2002-03-31 04:48 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I put a cross-brace on my car - it goes underneath the oil pan and does the same thing as a strut bar but more effectively. It seems to make the steering more responsive, feels kind of like you are pointing the nose of the car where you want - I only feel this when cornering hard though. I don't think strut bars do that much, but it's a cheap mod and looks cool. Many tuners say it's just for looks.
Stiffer springs/shocks is a much more effective (and expensive) way to improve both steering feel and handling.

Rear sway bars just change the handling dynamic from understeer to neutral or oversteer - if you're a novice that's not always a good thing. Front sways are kind of pointless - usually stock front sways are pretty large, you won't notice much improvement in going bigger.

On 2000-07-14 18:59, F=ma wrote:
I've heard that strut tower bars increase the directness feel of the steering through the corners.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2000-07-14 17:48, GPR wrote:
I noticed the same thing as mike did with the IS. But then I'm not too sure how the clearance is between the hood and the top of the motor is when the hood is down...there might be a way to SQUEEZE in a tower bar. I would rather wait for a TRD tower bar than get a cheaper one, just cause of the others might not fit as well. You can't go wrong with a TRD part anyways. Sorry for the confusion...i meant aftermarket struts and sways.
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I would NOT recommend a front strut bar for the IS.... it is NOT worth the hassle. First of all, there are electronics mounted to the struts which have to be moved in order to fit the strut bar, secondly there is a fuse box that makes it nearly impossible to get the mounts to fit. In order to get the bar on, you are only able to hold the fuse box down with one bolt (out of 3)... After all that, the engine cover HAS to be removed... the strut bar does not fit over the engine, I used 1/4 spacers and it BARELY cleared the engine but then vibrated against the hood... The IS won't benefit all that much from a front upper strut bar, and I doubt TRD will come out with one simply because it won't fit.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well the strut bar helped my car. It made my steering wheel much tighter. The turns feels uch smoother now. But yea you have to move stuff around by the struts. The bar also kinds of rub on top of the hood.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah I agree with wdskuk, the HKS sways made my car more responsive. However, after driving I realized that my car did tend to absorb "more bumps" and now I can feel tiny bumps on the road. I hope coilovers dont make this worse since I miss my stock ride. But thats the tradeoff when you make the body of your car more rigid.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2000-07-14 18:59, F=ma wrote:
Hey, if they can fit a strut tower bar under the hood of a 300ZX then they can fit a strut tower bar in ANYTHING
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
It can definitely "fit", but have you actually checked out the clearance between engine/hood... there is nothing. Even if you get the strut bar to fit.... keep in mind there are electronics mounted to the struts which you have relocate including the fuse box, after all that it is really not functional (if you decide to keep it on, expect vibration from either the hood or engine)... but yes it does fit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts