Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 lugs on one wheel that are stripped completely. I want to hear some ideas on how to get these off without screwing up my rims.

Im up for anything that wont destroy my rims i just need to get this wheel off. One of my coilovers is screwed up and i cant fix it until i get this wheel off.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Post some pictures of the wheel, with a close up of the center hub. When you say stripped do you mean the lug is rounded off?

·
Registered
176 Posts
get a cloth (i used an old t-shirt) and put it over the lug net and then hammer a slightly larger socket (around 18 or so from memory) over it (so the cloth is between the socket and the lugnut) then it should just come off no problems, the hardest part is getting the socket off the lug nut after. I had to do this with my locking wheel nuts as I lost the 'key'

very easy to do and you are in no danger of damaging your wheel in any way!

that is of course if you mean the nut is rounded off?

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UKLex200 said:
get a cloth (i used an old t-shirt) and put it over the lug net and then hammer a slightly larger socket (around 18 or so from memory) over it (so the cloth is between the socket and the lugnut) then it should just come off no problems, the hardest part is getting the socket off the lug nut after. I had to do this with my locking wheel nuts as I lost the 'key'

very easy to do and you are in no danger of damaging your wheel in any way!

that is of course if you mean the nut is rounded off?
Yeah its rounded off and im not worried about the socket we have a place here called meridian tool and they sell piss ass cheap tools i can go pick up 4-5 sockets for like $3 so as long as it gets em off i dont care ill give this idea a shot

they are round like O round lol ive taken all of them off and replaced them with spline lugs so i dont have to worry about that anymore but these 3 are being bitches

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try going to a auto parts store and get a damaged lug nut socket and a large breaker bar. The socket has like a swirl look inside. They make little nicks in the lug nut to get it out.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
yea, i bought a set for rounded / damaged boltheads, cost me maybe 40 at sears. I swear, its the best investment ive ever made in my life :) Course, im a mechanic, so im working with rusted, beat up shit day after day :p

Reactions: OKCIS

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
power chisel it off...

lolz it does work! But he did say no damage to the wheels.

Go to Sears and buy a Craftsman kit, it works great, gotta say it works better then the Snap-On one. And it is also thin wall.

Reactions: OKCIS

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Three cheers for spline drive!

I hope you get them off ok. I think that cloth idea sounds good.

Three cheers for British ingenuity!

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Eminence said:
lolz it does work! But he did say no damage to the wheels.

Go to Sears and buy a Craftsman kit, it works great, gotta say it works better then the Snap-On one. And it is also thin wall.

yeah I read, I would drill a hole into the lug, then take the chisel and insert it into the hole and attempt to get it off

·
Registered
751 Posts
i have done it numerous ways..heres a couple methods that worked in the past, no bs

1. the slighty smaller socket method, hammer the shit on with alot of force(i mean alot..bang that shit till your ears ring...lol)...socket will actually bend and form to the lug and once you get it off forget about usin that socket again.

2. i had locks on a gs300 and key was lost, it was lock where the key goes into the center and the outer each of the lock was round so socket wouldnt really work, soi had a freind bring his welder over and spot welded a socket to the lock and then put cold water on it so it would stay on..shit took awhile but it worked.

3. sears makes a 3 peice set that actually digs into the lug, counter clockwise of course, they didnt work on the rounded locks but may work for your stripped lugs.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
yeah do #2^^^

the shop will weld on a piece of crap metal that they have, allthey gotta to is wait 20 secs for it to cool down, then just unbolt it like any other lug...just make sure u tell them to be careful when they weld, to not scratch ur rims, etc...

-Aaron

·
Registered
176 Posts
if you put the cloth over it you dont need to bang the crap out of it, eventually after turning it I guess the cloth gets all twisted up inside and it just comes undone.

can't remember the socket size, i'll check and report back.... oh are these stock lug nuts?

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No they arent stock they are aftermarket tunersized lugs.

I bought a kit that removes stripped lugs but all of them were too big none of them would fit inside my wheels. I didnt know craftsman had one i might have to go look at that if the cloth idea doesnt work.

The welding idea wont work because they sit so far into the rim i already thought about that one even went as far as taking JBweld and putting it inside a socket and putting the socket on the lug. Left it for 12 hours came and that bitch was on there good so i stuck the rachet on there and turned and it snapped the jbweld............ i was pissed

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
:jawDrop:

Holy crap man busting JB WELD

I think its impossible

:confused:
Word. I heard that is what holds the time/space continuum together.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
jb weld isn't made to be torqued. sorry

a wheel shop should be able to get them off for you.

otherwise, one of those gator grip sockets? hahaha

next time invest in a torque wrench and quit using foot torque power

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
irv_usc said:
jb weld isn't made to be torqued. sorry

a wheel shop should be able to get them off for you.

otherwise, one of those gator grip sockets? hahaha

next time invest in a torque wrench and quit using foot torque power
I have a torque wrench im just lazy and put em on with an impact wrench only problem is my air compressor is a little too powerful.

But yeah i need to use the torque wrench from now on but the lugs i had on there were cheap ass pieces of crap they were doomed to strip from day 1 i even told myself if i used them they were gonna strip out and i was right

1 - 20 of 23 Posts