Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is my first post and hope someone can give me some help , I bought my 350 three months ago and the first time a drove it and turned the steering to full lock (to the stops) either left or right it felt as though the tires were trying to come away from the rims. It feels as though the suspension geometry its completey wrong, I am an old boy and have owned many cars and have only ever felt this on a couple of four wheel drive cars (Lancia Integrale and a Ford Focus Cosworth) and a big 4x4 pick up truck. I took it back to the dealer and they said (and I know you won't believe this) "they all do this",even my twenty one year old daughter asked what is wrong with the steering the first time she drove it, anybody else had this problem ? Thanks Ray

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well,

I have not had that feeling in my IS250 AWD but I may be able to help explain some of the difference you are noting. Also keep in mind that the 2nd generation IS’ have a very good turning ratio. So the wheel angle is going to an extreme when the steering is turned all the way to the left or right. Wide tires don’t help either which might relate to the big trucks steering feel you stated.

These cars have electric power steering so there is not a power steering pump being turned by the accessory belt from the engine. So this could make it feel a little strange from what you are familiar with. It didn’t bother me though. Also, I abide by the old rule that you should try to avoid turning the steering wheel to its maximum. I don’t know the real reason to avoid this other than it would make a nasty sound on the older 70’s & 80’s cars and I still do it if needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I understand what you are saying but in the last few years I driven most cars (I had a car audio company in the UK for many years so got to drive everything) and the steering feels poor, I rarely hits the stops but I am concerned that if I put bigger ,wider wheels on the problem will be exaggerated.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Typically wider wheel will do just as you say, exaggerate the 'feel' that you dislike.

It is funny as I have almost the opposite impression of the IS steering. I travel a lot and use rental cars often. I find that I have a hard time getting other cars into a parking spaces because of the poor turning radius compared to the IS. Mostly it’s the FWD rentals that can turn sharp enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The reason you wouldn't want to turn the steering all the way in either direction is it would put a strain on the power steering pump. But since we don't have one its not a problem. You want to try turning off your VDIM and see if the steering feels any different. Just to see. The difference in the steering does take some getting used to.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeh, in my case, I have just developed a habit of avoiding to turn the wheel all the way to the 'stops' regardless of how the power steering is realized. Curious to here if defeating the 350's VDIM makes a difference for 'redray'. It sound like a mechanical issue though. Besides, it wouldn't be practical to turn off the VDIM IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts