Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve heard this sound for awhile now and recently replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner hoping that it would resolve the problem. However it has not gone away and almost sounds louder (though that might be in my head) and I’m concerned it may be something more serious. It seems loudest around the throttle body I believe. Any ideas?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the input. I did some basic research on lifter tick is300 related problems and found some videos of what appeared to be the same sound. How expensive of a repair would this be if that was the issue? Can I still drive the car in this condition? Is it something I can fix myself? I’ve heard of possibly using seafoam to try and help I’m just not sure.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good advice so far... I would add not to drive til the problem is verified. It could be a bucket sticking in its bore, or it could be a wrong clearance on a shim ( not likely unless someone’s been messing in the head.), or it could be something else entirely. If it spits a shim while driving it will do damage to the engine. Has it ever had the valve lash checked/adjusted?

Cost is too varied to get accurate. The mechanic is going to have to diagnose, then correct, the problem. Some shops apply the diag fee to the repair if you choose for them to do the repair. Some places do a straight hourly rate, some did it per job. I’d speculate 300-400$ plus parts (those little shims are expensive for what they are!) if it’s just an out of spec shim. If the head has to come off then even more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I’m not sure now. I really hate taking my car to any shop as we have terrible mechanics over here. The general consensus of my research has led me to believe that it might be fine, it’s just very annoying because I can hear it while I drive and it almost sounds like a gear sound from the cabin. It’s more prevalent when the engine is cold and increases in pitch as the the rpms rise. I’m just not confident that the two sounds are the same. I planning on replacing my valve cover gaskets soon is there anything I can check/look for while I’m there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
How could I tell if it is indeed the lifter tick?
If you’re going to have the valve covers off to replace the gaskets, this is also a good time to check valve clearance.

Check this video for a how to. It’s for a 1J but you get the idea. You’ll have to look up the specs for the 2J clearances, and you’ll need to rotate the engine several times by hand to line up the buckets for measuring. I would post the shop manual but don’t have a good way to upload just the couple pages you need.

Edit: I found a shop manual excerpt here. I’m pretty sure that’s non VVTi so I don’t know if the tolerance is the same as VVTi engine.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Like this?

:D

Side note, we had a VW Passat diesel at work a few years ago now that managed to wear through either the bucket or shims on a couple of cylinders. Still not sure how, it was serviced as per the manufacturers guidelines. Made a racket though!

At the risk of showing my ignorance, I thought these had hydraulic lifters? If so a lot of the time it starts with deposits in the oil gumming up the lifter so it cant move up properly, usually because it hasn't been serviced regular enough or its getting on in miles (or over here its most often a Mitsubishi issue for some reason :sneaky:). If you get to it early enough there are oil additives you can run which can help disperse the deposits, but I would imagine it has most likely started wearing in that spot and be difficult to fix without removing the head.

·
Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 😎
69 Posts
So I’ve heard this sound for awhile now and recently replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner hoping that it would resolve the problem. However it has not gone away and almost sounds louder (though that might be in my head) and I’m concerned it may be something more serious. It seems loudest around the throttle body I believe. Any ideas?

I know for a fact that Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer can somewhat eliminate that noise, as proven by a guy on YT called Project farm. But, it just depends on how you want to fix the problem, by band-aiding it (my solution) or listen to everyone else.

Here's the video

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm I believe checking the valve clearance may not be within the realm of my mechanical talents thus far... On a side note it has taken this long into the year for it to get somewhat cold here (low 40s) and I noticed a few times that the sound was much quieter or not present at all. This is worrisome as it’s leading me to believe that it really could be my valve clearance. However I am in college and winter break is quickly approaching so I should have enough time to inspect and and possibly attempt adjusting my valve clearance. Until then, and before I replace my valve cover gaskets, I’m going to try seafoam as I have heard positive stories from people experiencing similar sounds, plus I wanted to try this anyways. I think I might try it this weekend...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts