Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been getting this high pitched, whining sound coming from the engine when I nail the car at wide open throttle or accelerate quickly. After I installed my intake, the sound seemed to get a little bit louder. From the outside, people tell me the whining sound+intake sounds cool as if my car is supercharged, but is there anything wrong with my car? Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had the exact same intake set up now for close up to 800 miles or so and I swear it stills sounds stock. Then again, I've yet to redline at any gears. Further, this setup hasn't increased the MPG which I had anticipated it will at the outset.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
1michael1 said:
I've had the exact same intake set up now for close up to 800 miles or so and I swear it stills sounds stock. Then again, I've yet to redline at any gears. Further, this setup hasn't increased the MPG which I had anticipated it will at the outset.
lol.

what are you waiting for?

the green light?

WOT that piece.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1michael1 said:
From about 3000-6000 RPMs, I was able to hear a difference w/ the new intake but below that I must admit it sounds near stock. Try going WOT it's a satisfying feeling and you should definately hear it then. From what I've read, with an intake alone, MPG increases should be minimal. I know the SRT intake claimed to get 1.5-2 MPG increase, and that has that piggyback ECU adjusting air/fuel ratios. I don't think intakes alone should give a significant increase in MPG, maybe 1.5 max. But obviously if someone guns it all they time, they aint exactly gonna save gas either.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey TTz, I posted a topic similar to this one a couple of weeks back. When I would go WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear, I would also hear that high pitched whining sound.. and I didn't want to stop, the sound was quite satisfying and at the same time scary. My car never whined before that incident, so I am not sure whether something is wrong or the car has been fully broken in?

I also have a 2004 E-shift, and it's at 9k miles now. I remember reading a thread about this pitch, and it seemed that a lot of people have it, and it is normal.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I dont think there is too much to complain about if it sounds supercharged and runs perfect. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SilentAttack said:
I dont think there is too much to complain about if it sounds supercharged and runs perfect. ;)
word. haha. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts