Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went by the Steven's Creek Lexus the other day to pick up a brochure. When I was there one of the sales rep asked me whether I would like to place a deposit. I said to him that I'm waiting for the manual next year, and that i'll place a deposit for that, but he replied by saying "Lexus does not make manual transmission", afterwards he opened up the brochure and showed me a picture of the auto tranny (like i haven't seen a picture of it), then he went on a made a shifting gesture and made this odd sound with his mouth. I guesss it was the soundo shifting. But anyhow, can u guys give me any feed back, on whether he was just trying to convince me to buy an IS now as a auto, or does he really know womething i don't know.

Sorry about all the blabbering...

BDA

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That guy is all salesman. He also sounds like all his paddles aren't in the water. And the manual is confirmed for next year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am an owner of an Is 200 since last October
The 6 speed manual transmition is SUPERB.
Changing gears is Superb also. Is one of the
best gear changers I have seen in my life.
It is unbelivable smooth.
Try a german car and then the Lexus.There is no comparison.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeh, it sounds too familar to me. My piece of advice : Never trust dealers in 100% for techno info/inside news/changes for the next model year.

They try to sell the products in THEIR best interest which is fair.

For instance, I asked salesmen in different Lexus dealers in 97'whether a side-airbag would be available for the 98' model of ES300 and they unanimously said "no".

However, I learned from a Hong Kong auto review on a 1997 ES300 that "Lexus will plan to add side-airbags for the model next year" Though in the car review article, it was only one line but I took its word..

Another occasion is that recently I asked a Lexus dealer whether the ivory/piping leather seats are of higher grade than the black leather seats. Instead of giving me the answer, he said the ivory/piping package has FULL leather seats. I told him that there are all pictures on the Internet for the production cars which shows no full leather seats are available.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Some dealers were nice enough to say the following:

"We don't really know that much about the car. Lexus doesn't give us much information. They just say 'sell the cars' and that is about it".

All dealers should have pocket brochure which lists the major specs of the IS300 and shows how it compares to 328i and Audi A4, but the dealers don't really have a line on what is coming next year.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Like TEG said, the good sales people will tell you up front "I really don't know". It took my sales guy only a few minutes to realize I knew a hell of a lot more about the car than he did. And in fairness to them, they apparently don't get much information, even from Lexus.

So, that explains why when I visit the dealer, they all say, yeah we love your site!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
Some dealers were nice enough to say the following:

"We don't really know that much about the car. Lexus doesn't give us much information. They just say 'sell the cars' and that is about it".

All dealers should have pocket brochure which lists the major specs of the IS300 and shows how it compares to 328i and Audi A4, but the dealers don't really have a line on what is coming next year.

Yup I agree any salesman that thinks he knows more than you is a pushover. He didnt make anysales and needed to make some money asap so he lied to ya. When I hear that I look at him and say "your a [email protected]%#ing liar get the hell away from me" out loud hehe works every time.

------------------
'00 Civic Si
'99 BMW M3

·
Registered
57 Posts
However, the only confirmation is a manual tranny.. Don't think we will get the 6spd that's on the IS200. The 6spd on the IS2 can not handle the power on the IS3 according to Car and Driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work for a Lexus dealership hear in Dallas, TX. Unfortunately most salesmen outside this dealership do not know much about the cars they sell. However, I seem to know quite a bit. In response to "BDA", next year's model should have the option of a manual or automatic transmission. Lexus (Toyota) is currently trying to engineer the transmission from the Supra to the next IS300. However, they have only been able to engineer a 5 spd to work, not the 6 spd. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
007, and the GPS, right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well.... if that's the case I guess i'll sit tight and, wait cuz for what I'm looking is what the IS has (aside from the auto tranny).
I'll just watch all u happy folks fly by me and my aging 96 accord.

BDA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
BDA
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing