Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, today I dyno'd the new setup for the first time. Took it to 6400 RPM @ 18psi. Made 480hp and 486tq! How did I make more torque than HP?! I have not seen this done on a 2JZ motor! I'm stumped to explain it. Timing was 14* in the boost region, so nothing radical there. Infact, I picked up some tq when I dropped it from 16*! I'm still on the W55 so that is why the boost is so low (however, I can't explain why this tranny is holding up well past it's supposed limit!).

Precision T04E 60-1
86lb Precision's (domestic 14mm style)
Stock head
Built Bottom (JEs .02 over, Carrillos in GE block, TT HG)
Twin intank pumps
2ea -6 feeds to inline filter, NOS Y block to -8 feed to rail
Custom rail with -8 feed, .50' bore to -6 return
TEC3R firing stock coils
Plugs gapped to .028

Pay no attention to the A/F ratio, the dyno's sniffer was off

Reactions: mikkellucci

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
You made more torque than hp because your peak torque was below 5252rpm.

PS: If you're still on the W55 you wont be for long.....may God be with you

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You made more torque than hp because your peak torque was below 5252rpm.

PS: If you're still on the W55 you wont be for long.....may God be with you
Yes, I can see that. My question was related more to the tune that resulted in more TQ than HP. BTW, I did the tuning so it's not a matter of me not knowing what the 'tuner' did (other than what part of the tune resulted in said results).

I know I'm rolling the dice on the tranny, but I've been well over 400hp for over two years now and it keeps going and going and going (as he knocks on wood). I would have the R154 in it, but I let a buddy with a MKIII Supra barrow it to make the TX2K8 meet this year.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Nice numbers Eric. If I remember correctly Chris Lai (kuuligan) had the prototype BL kit and his graph was very similiar. He ended up making a bit more torque than horsepower on a very conservative tune. I wonder if it's something with the way the BL kit is set up. Got to love the top end power of the BL kit...make a little over 300 rwtq at 3750 RPM and feel the pull all the way towards 7000 RPM...very nice power band. I wonder how your graph would look if you went up to 7500 RPM.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice numbers Eric. If I remember correctly Chris Lai (kuuligan) had the prototype BL kit and his graph was very similiar. He ended up making a bit more torque than horsepower on a very conservative tune. I wonder if it's something with the way the BL kit is set up. Got to love the top end power of the BL kit...make a little over 300 rwtq at 3750 RPM and feel the pull all the way towards 7000 RPM...very nice power band. I wonder how your graph would look if you went up to 7500 RPM.
Thanks Leo. My setup has always make HP and TQ that were very close to each other. Other setups on these motors typically don't have them as close. I'm sure the power is now limited by the small I/C (I think it's only rated for 400 or so, but my IAT are still good).

Yes, there was more in it looking at the curve. I had the revlimit set to 6800 and the driver let off just before. it was still climbing, but running out of boost. I wanted to keep it conservative.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks Leo. My setup has always make HP and TQ that were very close to each other. Other setups on these motors typically don't have them as close. I'm sure the power is now limited by the small I/C (I think it's only rated for 400 or so, but my IAT are still good).

Yes, there was more in it looking at the curve. I had the revlimit set to 6800 and the driver let off just before. it was still climbing, but running out of boost. I wanted to keep it conservative.
That bl kit is the shit, I have run it hard for 2 years. But you know what they say...it's only for .......

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
my car made 480rwtq and like 450whp - theres nothign wrong with torque sir!

remember that hp is a calculated value based on rpm and torque :) - the more the better

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my car made 480rwtq and like 450whp - theres nothign wrong with torque sir!

remember that hp is a calculated value based on rpm and torque :) - the more the better
Thanks bro. Are you on Southsideimports.net? I'd like to see your car and others would too ;) There is a Chat meet on 16 Feb and the turnout should be good. You should try to make it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Great #s! I know you have theories on the w55 as well. :) I'm glad to see there is at least one success case.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
its been a while since I last checked in here. But yes, my car's HP and TQ values were always close to each other, even after the more aggressive retune.

I was also on the stock W55 at 440whp. I don't know the current status of the car as I sold it a year ago

·
Premium Member
21,418 Posts
Thanks bro. Are you on Southsideimports.net? I'd like to see your car and others would too ;) There is a Chat meet on 16 Feb and the turnout should be good. You should try to make it.
LOL he is a SSI member too Eric.

·
Registered
557 Posts
More torque than HP also comes from the fact that you are not revving that high... Most Stock Supras rev up to 6700-6800RPM. However, by looking at your graph, revving it higher doesn't help much.

Your torque curve is dropping quite a bit... You may want to double check your ignition timing because it may be overly conservative. You may also want to free up your exhaust if you haven't done so (ie: 3" downpipe, exhaust, no cat, etc).

The last thing you may want to do is go with a larger turbo. The T04E/T4 usually comes with a P-trim, but some could be an O-trim which is even smaller. A turbine to small would eventually give you a good torque band at a compromise of high RPM power.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Could be several things

1) The VE of the motor is better at midrange than the upper range - due to turbo (compressor/turbine) selection
2) Your turbo is running out of breath up top
3) You have an overly aggressive midrange timing map or overly conservative upper range timing map or both (If you made more torque dropping from 16 to 14* in the midrange, you are probably still too aggressive there)
4) It is all good and just a characteristic of the setup.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be several things

1) The VE of the motor is better at midrange than the upper range - due to turbo (compressor/turbine) selection
2) Your turbo is running out of breath up top
If you look at the graph, the power is not dropping off. It simply levels off. This is because the boost is set low at 18psi. For sure, the turbo should be making power well into the 25-27psi range (albeit, on race gas at that psi).

3) You have an overly aggressive midrange timing map or overly conservative upper range timing map or both (If you made more torque dropping from 16 to 14* in the midrange, you are probably still too aggressive there)
Yes, dropping it to 14* made more power in the midrange, but it ramps up to 18 at higher RPM with few knock events.

4) It is all good and just a characteristic of the setup.
It is a smallish turbo, but I really like the power band of it. Very quick spool, and decent mid range where most street races are won and lost ;)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More torque than HP also comes from the fact that you are not revving that high... Most Stock Supras rev up to 6700-6800RPM. However, by looking at your graph, revving it higher doesn't help much.
Yes, the boost was set low so reving would have just kept the curve flat at higher RPMs.

Your torque curve is dropping quite a bit... You may want to double check your ignition timing because it may be overly conservative. You may also want to free up your exhaust if you haven't done so (ie: 3" downpipe, exhaust, no cat, etc).
If the exhaust were any more open, I'd have to wear ear plug!.....lol. It is 3" from the turbo back to a Skunk2 muffler. No resonators and certainly no CATs. There is a noticeable drop in power when I put the silencer in (got caught with it in once and got smoked by a stock C5 Z06). I only put the plug in when I'm on the road ;)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The boost setting does not have much to do with the torque curve, unless your boost is tapering off at higher rpms and/or you are running it out of it's efficiency range. Look at it as simply a scaler for the whole torque band.

From the dyno's I've seen for the 2JZ motor, having similar hp/torque is typical unless you're running a big turbo. So it's all good and I personally think yours is an excellent choice for the street.

·
Registered
557 Posts
So it's all good and I personally think yours is an excellent choice for the street.
Agreed... plenty of torque at low/mid RPM's should be a blast to drive on the streets :)

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
The boost setting does not have much to do with the torque curve, unless your boost is tapering off at higher rpms and/or you are running it out of it's efficiency range. Look at it as simply a scaler for the whole torque band.

From the dyno's I've seen for the 2JZ motor, having similar hp/torque is typical unless you're running a big turbo. So it's all good and I personally think yours is an excellent choice for the street.
i would agree to a point, however with a t04e-60, it runs out of breath at 15psi after 5200 rpm or so. larger turbo will keep pushin air all the way to redline.

if the bost is lowered on this turbo it will be able to make the boost all the way across the board, at nominal temperatures

1 - 20 of 23 Posts