Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

my car stays in the garage most of the time now that weather is bad. in fact on thanksgiving it wouldn't start as it sat for 26 days b4 that. i am getting a battery tender and just wondering if anyone has pointers to keep it in good shape through the winter. is the battery tender a good idea or not? i will drive it if the weather is good so it is not a complete storage for winter.

robert

ps i've been told i could damage the seals and gaskets by letting it sit so much.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well I don't know what battery tender is... And if I was to store my IS for a period of time, I'd just disconnect the battery terminals so that the car doesn't suck the juice out of it. Usually the clock and stock alarm use a little juice. But overtime without starting the car and charging it, the juice is just going to deplete giving not enough amps to start your car.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Battery Tenders are a great idea! Simply disconnecting your battery will still cause premature battery failure and loss of power. A 1.5 Amp battery tender is a must if you plan on letting your battery stay idle for long periods of time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
also... dun leave too much fuel in ur gas tank. or u cna just start the car once a week and let it run for like 15 - 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Get a TRICKLE CHARGER........one that maintains a certain voltage for the battery at all times......it's worked for me so far.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have let my car sit for weeks at a time with no starting and it did just fine... I believe the maximum amount of days without touching it was about 20 days. This is due to travel.

If you disconnect the battery you would not have an alarm.... I am not sure if I want to take that risk.

If the battery is very old and you are concerned about the start, just get a jump starter from autozone or something. But I am still on my original battery with no problem, and I am pushing for 50 K miles.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
lex-ative
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing