Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its been exactly a month now, give or take a day since i last started/moved my car. I was wondering, is it a good idea to start the motor and let it warm up to its operating temperature and go thru all the gears? ( its on jack stands with no wheels on, so the hubs are free to spin). Reason id like to start it again is to also charge up the battery so it doesnt completely die on me in the spring when i want to drive it again.

Thanks in advance!

Happy New Years y'all!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
My Dad doesn't drive his Lexus GS during the winter... and sometimes he just runs the car for a bit.

But as tyks said... if you're worried about the battery you should get a trickle charger.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Start the car and drive it once a week - even if just around the block.

Its not the battery to be worried about, have you ever looked at your brakes, just hours after a car wash.

Keep all of the parts moving, at least once a week. Water pump will seize, as well as brake components. You also want to keep condensation in the fuel tank
and oil at a minimum. Keep it all moving.

Digger08

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start the car and drive it once a week - even if just around the block.

Its not the battery to be worried about, have you ever looked at your brakes, just hours after a car wash.

Keep all of the parts moving, at least once a week. Water pump will seize, as well as brake components. You also want to keep condensation in the fuel tank
and oil at a minimum. Keep it all moving.

Digger08
thanks for the hints...but why would u want to keep the oil at the minimum? are you talking about engine oil?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
.............no......

Keep the fluids in your car moving around at least weekly, to reduce the chances of condensation (aka WATER) from attacking the metal surfaces and causing rust.

Digger08

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My Dad doesn't drive his Lexus GS during the winter... and sometimes he just runs the car for a bit.

But as tyks said... if you're worried about the battery you should get a trickle charger.
As Digger08 said,....this is not a good idea, as it will cause condensation in the engine. It would be better to not start it at all :(
Drive it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well regardless, i ran the car yesterday, started with no problems or hesitation at all. Ran it for a while, turned on most of the accessories like A/C, headlights, windows, roof, etc, etc. Also took it thru the gears, up to 3rd gear with traction control off of course so the wheel actually spins freely. Also played with the navi system, i sure missed that part of it!
I'll start it again in another month exactly, only 3 more months i think until ill throw the beater out and make the IS the daily car again:)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
well regardless, i ran the car yesterday, started with no problems or hesitation at all. Ran it for a while, turned on most of the accessories like A/C, headlights, windows, roof, etc, etc. Also took it thru the gears, up to 3rd gear with traction control off of course so the wheel actually spins freely. Also played with the navi system, i sure missed that part of it!
I'll start it again in another month exactly, only 3 more months i think until ill throw the beater out and make the IS the daily car again:)
You mean start it again in exactly a week.

Digger08

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Hey question for you.

I started a thread on it in the IS300 owners forum

Anyhow, I have mine up on jackstands as well. I have an automatic with LSD. When I went through the gears I noticed that both wheels were not spinning with the same speed. It looked as if there were some sort of resistance. One wheel would move noticeably slower than the other, at times one wheel would just stop moving altogether ( This was when the car was put into drive and accelerator was not being depressed).

I initially thought it was due to the little mishap I had that ended up bashing my wheels, but this happened with both of my rear wheels, they would alternate between which wheel would move slower. Now when I press on the accelerator, both wheels end up moving at seemingly the same speed.

My question for you, is this occuring with you as well?

If not, can anyone chime in with what I could be experiencing? I have traction control off as well.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im pretty sure they both spin at the same rate...i cant really determine that for sure, cause im in the car while i "drive" it. I guess if i set the cruise control and take a quick look to see both wheels spinning, then i can say for sure...or just get someone else to be in the car and ill check it out, i think that would be safer lol.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
im pretty sure they both spin at the same rate...i cant really determine that for sure, cause im in the car while i "drive" it. I guess if i set the cruise control and take a quick look to see both wheels spinning, then i can say for sure...or just get someone else to be in the car and ill check it out, i think that would be safer lol.

My best guess.....

The wheels will not spin at the same time always.

Example: when turning the inside wheels need to travel less distance than the outer wheels...thus they need to move at different rates.

The differential uses sliding type gears gears and clutch packs that will lock in under load. These are partially spring loaded to actuate.
To engage the LSD, the vehicle must sense one wheel over powering the other, this will engage the clutches.

The stiffness of the springs (as well as torque), effect when the LSD locks in. It is possible that because it is up on jack stands, this clutch pack is not engauging as it would under load.

Try spinning one wheel by hand and see if the opposite wheel starts to spin.

Your method is not the safest thing to do.

Digger08

Reactions: jahnIS300

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I'll try putting the car into neutral and spinning the wheel. Both wheels should move in unison correct?

You don't need to put the car in cruise control to see this, all you need to do is stick the gear into D. Thats if you are automatic. We all know when putting the car into the D, the car moves forward but not fast by any means. This is what I did when I noticed both wheels weren't spinning in unison, and on wheel was moving a lot slower, or just not moving at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts