Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 332mm StopTech's went on my car today, and I went through a preliminary bedding-in process of about 8-10 semi-max braking slowdowns, and got them heated up pretty well.

The bedding-in process also throws a heavier load on the rear brakes
(stock Lexus) because the StopTechs are intended to provide more equal
braking between the front and rear axle. There was noticeable bluing on the rear rotors after the initial drive with the new brakes.

All the hardware fit beautifully, including stainless lines on the rear axle, as well as the stuff up front.

I'm running production wheels on a 2001 car, and the StopTechs fit, as
the manufacturer and Eneval said here, without any spacers, but the clearance between the caliper and the wheel is very minimal, i.e., on the
order of 1-2 millimeters.

Everything bolted up nicely, and the only thing I had worried about was
removing the splash shield, but that came off without too much trouble.

The brakes feel ok right now, although not spectacular, and I think it's
going to take several cycles of heating and cooling before they really
develop some serious muscle.

But the overall effort on the install was positive, with no surprises. The
StopTech install manual is very complete, and is available in Adobe
Acrobat format on their website if anybody wants to download it and
take a look. The manual is approx 20 pages, with photos.

I'm now running these brakes, plus TRD sways, Koni shocks (on stock
IS300 springs), with a full set of Tom's chassis braces, and a ProLex
brace in the engine compartment.

That's it for this car until somebody comes up with a forced induction system qualified for street use in this wonderful state where the voters
have just strapped the chief executive into a Martin-Baker and are
getting ready to pull up on those little handles on the end of the armrests.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
great review Rsiefer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alredxiii said:
Do you still have the stock wheels on too?....wanna see some pics of those bad boys :p
I'll take some photos in the next few days, but I've never had any success in getting them onto the website. If somebody else will load the
pictures, I'll email them to you.

As to the fit of the wheels, they are the stock wheels that were on the car when I drove it out of the dealer. I was concerned about fit, but Eneval
(on this site) said they cleared on his car, and I pulled off one wheel at
StopTech, and it was checked by Mat Weiss, who is their tech honcho.

Mat measured my right front wheel, with a StopTech template, and it appeared that there was something more than 1mm clearance, but probably less than 2mm.

He suggested having some 2-3mm wheel spacers handy, but there doesn't
seem to be any such animal, and the best I could do was 5mm, and those
were ready if needed. When we hung the first wheel onto the wheel studs,
I was extremely nervous because there wasn't much bolt showing thru
on the wheel, but once we got the wheel lifted into place and got all the lug nuts on, it looked ok. We torqued the wheel to 85 lb, and everything was still ok, although the caliper really fills up that wheel.

The only caveat I might offer is this: Sometimes there are engineering changes made during production, and I don't know if all the "stock" wheels provide the same clearance. I know they all look the same, but I would suggest you use the StopTech template just to be sure, or get the guy you buy from to agree to take them back with no restock charge in the event they don't clear your wheels.

One more thing: If you have paste-on wheel weights on the inside of the
wheel, those will have to be moved to the inboard edge of the rim, I believe. I didn't have any on my front wheels, so it wasn't an issue.

I bedded in the brakes on a street near the shop yesterday afternoon, and then got up around 4:00 this morning and took the car out on
Westminster Blvd, east of Pacific Coast Highway, and did some running
around 80, with hard braking down to around 30, and then back up to
80 and down again. I did this about a dozen times, and then drove to
Starbucks for coffee, and to let the car cool down. When I first parked,
there was a strong smell from the brakes, and the calipers were too hot
to touch. But the run was smooth, and the pedal felt very linear,
and the deceleration was much more pronounced than when I first drove
the car yesterday.

I did some easy driving in the downtown area this afternoon, and the brakes felt ok, but not significantly different from stock, and the pedal is not noticeably heavier in traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
You're right rseifer

When I got the Stoptech brakes they wouldn;t fit behind my stoptech brakes. The caliper was touching the back face of the stock wheel. When I put the lugs on the wheel would not spin at all. I also didn;t have any spacers at that time. So I had to wait for my 18 inch wheels to come in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
rseifer said:
alredxiii said:
Do you still have the stock wheels on too?....wanna see some pics of those bad boys :p
I'll take some photos in the next few days, but I've never had any success in getting them onto the website. If somebody else will load the
pictures, I'll email them to you.

As to the fit of the wheels, they are the stock wheels that were on the car when I drove it out of the dealer. I was concerned about fit, but Eneval
(on this site) said they cleared on his car, and I pulled off one wheel at
StopTech, and it was checked by Mat Weiss, who is their tech honcho.

Mat measured my right front wheel, with a StopTech template, and it appeared that there was something more than 1mm clearance, but probably less than 2mm.

He suggested having some 2-3mm wheel spacers handy, but there doesn't
seem to be any such animal, and the best I could do was 5mm, and those
were ready if needed. When we hung the first wheel onto the wheel studs,
I was extremely nervous because there wasn't much bolt showing thru
on the wheel, but once we got the wheel lifted into place and got all the lug nuts on, it looked ok. We torqued the wheel to 85 lb, and everything was still ok, although the caliper really fills up that wheel.

The only caveat I might offer is this: Sometimes there are engineering changes made during production, and I don't know if all the "stock" wheels provide the same clearance. I know they all look the same, but I would suggest you use the StopTech template just to be sure, or get the guy you buy from to agree to take them back with no restock charge in the event they don't clear your wheels.

One more thing: If you have paste-on wheel weights on the inside of the
wheel, those will have to be moved to the inboard edge of the rim, I believe. I didn't have any on my front wheels, so it wasn't an issue.

I bedded in the brakes on a street near the shop yesterday afternoon, and then got up around 4:00 this morning and took the car out on
Westminster Blvd, east of Pacific Coast Highway, and did some running
around 80, with hard braking down to around 30, and then back up to
80 and down again. I did this about a dozen times, and then drove to
Starbucks for coffee, and to let the car cool down. When I first parked,
there was a strong smell from the brakes, and the calipers were too hot
to touch. But the run was smooth, and the pedal felt very linear,
and the deceleration was much more pronounced than when I first drove
the car yesterday.

I did some easy driving in the downtown area this afternoon, and the brakes felt ok, but not significantly different from stock, and the pedal is not noticeably heavier in traffic.
Glad you like Bro. The fitment with the stock wheels is close, but they do fit. When i had mine installed the tech that did it kept bitching throughout that they weren't gonna fit. Then when he put the wheel on and spun it, everyones jaws dropped. Anyways, for anyone looking at getting these, they are simply awesome brakes, but the best thing to do is to check your wheels with stoptech template. You'll know then if they fit.

Oh yeah, it really fills up the stock wheel. I love it though, people constantly stare in amazement, like how the hell did they get that in there. Enjoy the breaks Bro.
 

·
Threadlocker
Joined
·
8,984 Posts
rseifer said:
We torqued the wheel to 85 lb, and everything was still ok, although the caliper really fills up that wheel.
maybe i'm wrong, but i remember the torque spec for the wheel nuts is 76lb-ft.. not positive, but i heard that overtorquing them can cause negative effects..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
irv_usc said:
rseifer said:
We torqued the wheel to 85 lb, and everything was still ok, although the caliper really fills up that wheel.
maybe i'm wrong, but i remember the torque spec for the wheel nuts is 76lb-ft.. not positive, but i heard that overtorquing them can cause negative effects..
Irv--You're absolutely correct on the torque spec for the wheels. I know better than to guess at the setting, but I didn't look at the manual, which
was sitting three feet away on the bench. I don't think it will snap any
wheel studs, but you are right, and 85 pounds is not the recommended
torque for the studs. I will retorque the wheels when I next get the oil
changed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
^^^^


Now that's what I'm talking about. I have the front 355's and they are awesome.

rseifer, what pads do you have? I have the Deluxe plus. I stopped in one day and saw Matt and picked up the Deluxe pads because they have a lot less dust than the Ultimate pads.

Enjoy your brakes with the confidence of no brake fade--and the stares from other motorists :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
stick said:
^^^^


Now that's what I'm talking about. I have the front 355's and they are awesome.

rseifer, what pads do you have? I have the Deluxe plus. I stopped in one day and saw Matt and picked up the Deluxe pads because they have a lot less dust than the Ultimate pads.

Enjoy your brakes with the confidence of no brake fade--and the stares from other motorists :D
How do you like the Deluxe pads as compared to the ultimates (besides less dust). I'm thinking os switching to the Deluxe. Also, how are they in the morning when you frist drive on them. I've noticed that the ultimates need a little heat before they really grab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Enevel12 said:
stick said:
^^^^


Now that's what I'm talking about. I have the front 355's and they are awesome.

rseifer, what pads do you have? I have the Deluxe plus. I stopped in one day and saw Matt and picked up the Deluxe pads because they have a lot less dust than the Ultimate pads.

Enjoy your brakes with the confidence of no brake fade--and the stares from other motorists :D
How do you like the Deluxe pads as compared to the ultimates (besides less dust). I'm thinking os switching to the Deluxe. Also, how are they in the morning when you frist drive on them. I've noticed that the ultimates need a little heat before they really grab.

The Deluxe pads are great. I really could not tell the difference between the Deluxe and the Ultimate (maybe just a litte less bite). There is almost zero dust with the Deluxe. The Deluxe do need a little warm up for a good bite, but not as much as the Ultimates. The Deluxe are also friendlier to your rotors. I say get them, they are only $40.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top