Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the StopTech Stainless Steel brake lines, as I heard (true or not, not sure) that the Goodridge ones needed to be slightly modified to work. Plus for whatever reason I think StopTech makes great products.

StopTech : Stainless Steel Brake Lines

I bought them at Performance Brakes - Brake Pads, Brake Rotors, Brake Calipers, Big Brake Kits and Stainless Steel Brake Lines as that was the best price I could find them for. $131 with free shipping and no taxes (they had a $10 coupon and free shipping for orders over $100 at the time).

I replaced my rotors and pads a couple a months ago, but these showed up two days too late to install then then, so I just had them installed on Monday.

I took a 500 mile drive the last two days, no hard driving, mostly highway, but here are my impressions.

If you are a casual driver or a non-perceptive person, you may want to spend your money elsewhere, especially if you are paying somebody to install them, like myself.

The pedal is firmer as you apply, and the brakes do "come on" quicker. The biggest improvement for me, is that the brakes pressure feels much more linear as you push down the pedal. Before it seemed halfway down the pedal, there was a short moment in time where you push harder on the brakes, but you aren't stopping any faster, and now that is gone.

I imagine the stock lines are pretty good though, as the improvement for day-to-day driving isn't night and day.

If you were doing AutoX, HPDE, PDX, or club racing the improvement would be well worth it though. Might have to get my butt out there and do it this year.

For those that have them, what are your thoughts or impressions?

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
Thanks for the info, good to know. I have not heard the bit about the Goodrich before. I have been trying to decide which ones to go with.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Stop Tech's by far are the best.

Bench tested with a psi system to make sure there are no leaks, they require no modification to make them fit and they are DOT approved. Ive sold over 60 sets of these things and use them on both of my is300s

D

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How come my threads never get off the ground? A guy with lambo doors and green HIDs get posts for days.

I provided links, pics, and used pretty good punctuation and grammar. What gives? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Because we can't make fun of you, thats half the fun of posting:p

Reactions: Squareback

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha.

I did finally read later, that you may notice more of an improvement over stock lines if your car is older as the rubber lines breakdown after many miles or hard use. My car only has 60K and I haven't had it on any tracks yet.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Thanks for the info, good to know. I have not heard the bit about the Goodrich before. I have been trying to decide which ones to go with.

Get StopTechs, they are coated/sprayed with some plastic resin to prevent the braids from being expossed to elements. Goodrich are decent, but far from being best.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Great review!

I got caught up with things so won't have time until the spring but this is definitely still on my to do list.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
great review, felt the same way about my goodrige lines...

·
Registered
827 Posts
great review!!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, after driving around with them the last couple days, I like them more and more.

Although I did kick in the Electronic Brake Distribution twice on two panic stops. It seems to kick in earlier than before, but maybe I just need to adjust my pedal force.

I also heard that the more miles and years you have on your OEM ones, the more noticable the difference between SS and OEM due to the deterioration of the rubber. I'm currently at 60K.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Actually, after driving around with them the last couple days, I like them more and more.

Although I did kick in the Electronic Brake Distribution twice on two panic stops. It seems to kick in earlier than before, but maybe I just need to adjust my pedal force.

I also heard that the more miles and years you have on your OEM ones, the more noticable the difference between SS and OEM due to the deterioration of the rubber. I'm currently at 60K.
yeah, I accidently hit mine too hard a couple of times not even meaning too, jerked my head foward :lol:...you definitely have to fix how hard you hit the brakes...

the stock lines expand SO much more when breaking compared to the SS ones. the brake fade is improved 10-fold to me, but I tend to over think things like that, so i might be exaggerating ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'll be upgrading soon, probably will end up changing the rotors and pads too. I was looking into that Stoptech brake package with the stainless steel lines, slotted rotors F/R, pads, and even the brake fluid

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'll be upgrading soon, probably will end up changing the rotors and pads too. I was looking into that Stoptech brake package with the stainless steel lines, slotted rotors F/R, pads, and even the brake fluid
That is a good choice indeed, StopTech's affordable "stage 2 kit".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts