Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth to put complete stoneguard film not only on hood, but mirrors and bumpers?

I have it on hood only and it works really great. But I’m debating if that worth extra $$ to put complete set. It doesn’t seem mirrors and bumpers get as many hits as the hood does.

Has anybody used complete set?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I would definitely go for the bumper also. It really saves the cars finish. Also headlights and foglights are a must if you don't like the 'sandblasted' look.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
On my other car, I did the front of the hood, headlights, bumper, fogs, sideview.

I did this myself and will never do it again. Ever.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
bRibRi said:
Do they offer stoneguard at the dealers?
Some dealers offer this, but all they usually do is to schedule an xpel/stoneguard installer to come out and do it, while charging overhead.

May be cheaper if you go to the xpel/stonegaurd installer directly.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
crontab said:
On my other car, I did the front of the hood, headlights, bumper, fogs, sideview.

I did this myself and will never do it again. Ever.

Do you mean you would never install it yourself again, or you would never have it on your car again period?

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
im almost 12903746125573421% sure he means that he would never do it himself again

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
oh btw, just to give u an idea of what its like; try to saran wrap a tennis ball without getting any wrinkles.. exactly!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I detail cars in my off-time and always recommend folks get some sort of clear-bra on every leading edge, especially on Japanese cars. It might cost you $600 up front (cost me $590 for front fenders, entire hood, bumper wrapped, and leading edges), but over the course of 5 years it will save you hundreds in touch-up cost and detailing (that is if you like your car looking good all the time).

·
Registered
221 Posts
T i h o r said:
oh btw, just to give u an idea of what its like; try to saran wrap a tennis ball without getting any wrinkles.. exactly!
It isn't that hard. I did mine myself with the Xpel kit, and it was pretty easy. Considering I'd never done it before. No wrinkles whatsoever, and only a couple tiny bubbles that were easily removed with a pin.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Guys can someone post the pics of their IS with Xpell/stoneguard or other stuff on? I'm thinking about getting this stuff on my fogs/headlights, but wondering how it will look on the heads. Headlights are round/curved so I'm wondering how this thing fits over headlights. If it looks gay, than I rather leave the way it is now. I'm too late for hood and bumer, they are already chipped to hell, and I'm 2004 with 20k on :(

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I paid about $450 for mine... As you can see from the pic I just took below, you can see a hair line where it ends... Excuse the wax though, it's a biatch to remove. Nevertheless, it beats several dozen nicks on your bumper & hood. I need to get my headlights & fogs covered.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
BossMan said:
Do you mean you would never install it yourself again, or you would never have it on your car again period?
I mean the latter. Installing on the hood, head lights, mirrors, fogs were easy.

The bumer was impossible. The IS bumper would be easy. But with all the bumps, levels and curves on my Highlander, I got fed up a ripped it off. But I managed to cover ~70% of the front bumper the 2nd time around with the excess 3M paint protection I had.

I didn't get anything precut. I just ordered a $100 roll and cut it all myself.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Pawel said:
Guys can someone post the pics of their IS with Xpell/stoneguard or other stuff on? I'm thinking about getting this stuff on my fogs/headlights, but wondering how it will look on the heads. Headlights are round/curved so I'm wondering how this thing fits over headlights. If it looks gay, than I rather leave the way it is now. I'm too late for hood and bumer, they are already chipped to hell, and I'm 2004 with 20k on :(
There's no need to take pics, you don't see it. Just imagine a large see through sticker.

Just get a 2' x 12" roll and do it yourself. Headlights are easy.

Yes, don't put xpel on a bumper/hood with hood chips. It will only amplify the markings. Best to put on a brand new or newly painted areas.

·
Registered
221 Posts
crontab said:
I mean the latter. Installing on the hood, head lights, mirrors, fogs were easy.

The bumer was impossible. The IS bumper would be easy. But with all the bumps, levels and curves on my Highlander, I got fed up a ripped it off. But I managed to cover ~70% of the front bumper the 2nd time around with the excess 3M paint protection I had.

I didn't get anything precut. I just ordered a $100 roll and cut it all myself.
Duh. no wonder it failed. Unless you're a professional installer, it's extremely unlikely you'd be able to apply and trim the film to look correct.

Xpel sells the kits pre-cut to specific makes/models (includind the '06 IS) for reasonable prices. Take note of the skill level they provide for each kit. The hood kits are pretty easy, level 2 or 3. Bumper kits on the otherhand are a 4 or 5 rating on the difficulty scale.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I bought my 2005 is300 with 2 miles on the car (yes, two!) and drove it straight over to LMS the same day to aero shield it up. (I drove side streets since im pretty close.. roughly 18 miles).

I had the full kit put on: hood, fenders, headlights, fog lights, and bumper.

I am glad i did it.
4,000 miles later, no rock chips.
Looks amazing.

(believe it or not, its actually on in both pics).

=)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
:loveit: Your car looks awesome. I wish we had put the stoneguard on my car. I-75 and all the dump trucks has taken its toll on my car, but it's too late now...I'm at 22,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts