Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i read about people getting snow tires, and not to drive on your summer tires in the snow. But i want to know from people if you can actually drive on the snow with summer tires?? Im not talknig bout 3" of snow, im talknig bout packed down snow on roads. I want to know waht its gonna be like?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are these tire jsut taht bad??? OR are you joking aorund?? I dont see how taht can be? I am a very good driver on the snow, and i can controll any type of slide

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
No joke. Summer tires suck in any snow. The good part is that you have so little traction that you canno get going fast enough to cause a lot of damage.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Tyler, if you are an extremely careful driver in snow, you shouldnt have a problem.

last year, i bought my IS300 in December, and it snowed quite a bit...
i had no trouble getting around hence im also a good driver in snow...

i did take my car out for a "drift" session, pulled some ebrake turns (of course in a parking lot)...
i actually had a harder time "drifting" than my friend in his 300zx...

so if u are a good driver in snow, you shouldnt have a problem...

this is only my opinion...so dont get all defensive or offensive about this... :lol:

·
Registered
888 Posts
yea, I almost rear ended someone last year driving around in my summer tires. I manage to survie last winter on summer tires, but will I survie this one? The bright side about the summer tires in the snow is, you can do some cool donuts in a empty parking lot :lol:

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Don't do it, the summer tires literally suck in the snow. I drove on my RE040 a few times last winter and I barely made it home even when there was a slight dusting of snow. When I came to a dead stop, I could barely get the car moving. I had the snow button on and tried starting the car in 2nd gear. All I saw and heard were the blinking traction control light and LSD. Save yourself an accident waiting to happen and don't drove those summer tires.

·
Registered
312 Posts
lambchop11078 said:
Don't do it, the summer tires literally suck in the snow. I drove on my RE040 a few times last winter and I barely made it home even when there was a slight dusting of snow. When I came to a dead stop, I could barely get the car moving. I had the snow button on and tried starting the car in 2nd gear. All I saw and heard were the blinking traction control light and LSD. Save yourself an accident waiting to happen and don't drove those summer tires.
totally agree!! I dont care how good of a snow driver you are, you wil NOT go anywhere in the snow on the summer tires!!!! TRUST ME!! I tried last year and if it wasnt for my girls car i would of had to take off many days of work due to not being able to get there!!! I bought snow tires for this year!!

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
"Just say no to snow" when you have summer tires.

I've read this on here, summer tires have different compounds in the rubber. In the summer, when it's warm/hot out, the rubber is softer so the tires grip. In the winter time, it takes longer for the summer tires to "warm up" and stick to the road. Nevermind in the snow :eek: !

I personally wouldn't do it!

·
11,054 Posts
I popped into the body shop to get the trunk lid fixed (damned vandals) and saw an IS300 just like mine parked there... with $8,000 of damage. The guy tried the summer tires on one inch of snow.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The thing that sticks the best to snow........is snow. That's why modern snow tires have different compounds, almost microporous, to wick up a little water and snow. They also have numerous sipes, or tiny slits in the tread blocks. This allows tiny patches of snow to get wedged in the sipes, essentially forming a skin of packed snow on the outside tread of the tire. This is the best thing for snow traction. Summer tires, on the other hand, are just the opposite. They have large tread blocks, sometimes continuous ribs of rubber in the center of the tread, and little or siping. The last thing summer tires will do is have snow stick to them. That's why they suck in the snow.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Tyler, dont crash it!

im not responsible for what u do to your car... :lol:

i dont know why everyone else is having so much trouble in snow...
ive never really had a problem...only time i had trouble was getting onto my slanted driveway... :eek:

i guess the only way to answer your question is from experience and how you feel about it...

o yeah, and dont go fast :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Snow

The Bridgestone RE040 has NO snow traction it is very dangerous to drive on any snow or ice. People who say they have gotten by with them probably have a different tire on the car like the RE92.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
oh maybe thats why i didnt have real problems :lol:
i got the RE92

·
11,054 Posts
breegirl said:
Just press the snow button and your ready to go!

:lol: You wish! Actually, we ALL wish...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts