Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i'm a new member to this board, looking to purchase an IS300...

I have a question about the stock nav unit and getting it updated with new maps. Is the stock nav unit DVD based? and have any of you guys recently updated it in 05? How do you get it updated?

I'm thinking about buying a used IS300, possibly 02... If the car does not have the stock nav system, can i buy one myself and put it in? Or at least get the dealer to install it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
af22 said:
Hey guys,

i'm a new member to this board, looking to purchase an IS300...

I have a question about the stock nav unit and getting it updated with new maps. Is the stock nav unit DVD based? and have any of you guys recently updated it in 05? How do you get it updated?

I'm thinking about buying a used IS300, possibly 02... If the car does not have the stock nav system, can i buy one myself and put it in? Or at least get the dealer to install it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Update the DVD based Nav system requires you to order the latest update from a dealer or other source for Lexus OEM parts. It has a retail somewhere in the neighborhood or $250.00.

Now if the car does not have factory Nav then do yourself a favor. Find one that does or just buy an aftermarket system like a Kenwood or Pioneer system that also has Nav capabilities. It will save you thousands on top of thousands of $$$$$ even if you could find someone willing to try and put a factory Nav in a non-Nav equipped car. This has been discussed to great lengths here so do a dimple search and you will see why I made the statement I did above.

BTW,
Welcome aboard, if you do purchase a IS, its a great car that you should enjoy. I highly recommend that you spend some time in the Roadsides Assistance section as well as General Discussion. The chances that you have a unique question are slim and its most likely been answered at least 25x. You may get a lot "Use the search button" responses, but thats only cause a lot of people even in a short time on the site see the same questions and over and over. Search is your best friend and will yield faster, more factual results.

Again, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, i've been digging alot with the search and messaging few people, but sometimes you dont get a full comphensive answer unless you make and post or make STICKY FAQs!

But about the aftermarket GPS system, i would need the stock din's free for my headunit. Aftermarket GPS systems normally have less then steller cd audio playback, i would like the keep the stock gps with an aftermarket headunit. The only decent aftermarket GPS with 24 bit dacs is the eclipse unit, which doesn't satisfy my audio needs.

i guess it'll be best to find a car with stock nav.

thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts