Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the overall performance of the Stock Market affecting your decision to buy an IS300. Dow Jones is down 380 points.. Ouch! Closing at not much over 10,000...
Eric....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'm down 40% on rambus

maaaan...rambus really ate my lunch. i had nearly 2k in it and i'm down 660 bucks.....piece of crap =)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey don't get me started on the stock market. I guess the performance of the market has not affected my decision since I already bought.

My money is in the market for the long term, so these short bumps are really not affecting my finances. Don't really need the money and in fact I look at this as a buying opportunity.

For those of you who are practicing dollar cost averaging, these are your good times!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
buying oppurtunity with all my money died up in a dying stock and the rest of it invested into a car =) hehe

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
man oh man. u cannot imagine how hurting i am.

cpwr stock -- down 84%
dell (24K shares) -- down ~50%
nvda -- doing well...been holding since ipo
uti -- doing well
intel -- dogging
amd -- a bit above cost basis
qcom -- doing pretty well

unfortunately, most of my holdings are in cpwr, dell, and intel.

i've averaged my cost basis down, tho, so hopefully its a matter of time.

the close presidential race prolly has a lot to do with it...that and the new energy crunch.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ah Clam, don't worry, you are young, no need to worry about disposable income yet. Have fun.

Us old farts though have to buy low for retierment.

All my investments are down this year, but hey, I don't need to sell, so I buy more and hold.

·
Registered
323 Posts
long term is the way to go. as a future financial consultant (hopefully) i think that if u want to gamble, go to vegas. haha. but oh well. im only 20 and i have almost 100k in mutual funds and i have a house on top of that. i figure a real good investment you can make today is in real estate. i bought this house last year for ~400k, and now the value is ~650k. gotta love silicon valley. and i have the IS which is a liquid asset. just because youre young doesnt mean you cant have the money like older people have. one thing i dont like is that people judge us by our age, when we are more than competent to make our own decisions. oh well, im lovin life. isnt it grand? now i just have to worry about 26 more units to take before i graduate.

mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by acuracing:
long term is the way to go. as a future financial consultant (hopefully) i think that if u want to gamble, go to vegas. haha. but oh well. im only 20 and i have almost 100k in mutual funds and i have a house on top of that. i figure a real good investment you can make today is in real estate. i bought this house last year for ~400k, and now the value is ~650k. gotta love silicon valley. and i have the IS which is a liquid asset. just because youre young doesnt mean you cant have the money like older people have. one thing i dont like is that people judge us by our age, when we are more than competent to make our own decisions. oh well, im lovin life. isnt it grand? now i just have to worry about 26 more units to take before i graduate.

mike

what the hell do you do over there you. Your in school and have a 600k house and 100k in the bank. I want to send you my resume. I will clean your sh*t for ya

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by geoff:
man oh man. u cannot imagine how hurting i am.

cpwr stock -- down 84%
dell (24K shares) -- down ~50%
nvda -- doing well...been holding since ipo
uti -- doing well
intel -- dogging
amd -- a bit above cost basis
qcom -- doing pretty well

unfortunately, most of my holdings are in cpwr, dell, and intel.

i've averaged my cost basis down, tho, so hopefully its a matter of time.

the close presidential race prolly has a lot to do with it...that and the new energy crunch.
Excuse me but am I reading this wrong. Are you saying you have 24,000 shares of Dell. So what about half a mil and you are driving a cls?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mrclam, definately wise to start investing early. I've been investing in stocks since I was 16 (more like 14 if I count the "pretend" portfolios that my parents made me do). Of course it helps if your dad is a financial consultant (in my case) so fortunately I haven't lost any significant amount of money. At 19, I can say that I have a better feel for finance then most kids my age and will help me with my studies in finance. Can't tell you how many times my dad emphasized how important investments are...it really annoyed me when I was younger but I sure appreciate it now

·
Registered
323 Posts
well, honestly, i didnt earn all my money. my dad left me and my younger sister a little more than a quarter million when he passed away. but since then ive been spending wisely and investing safely. i was so tempted to buy ipo's (damn amazon, if only....) but i didnt want to risk my future security. (oh i should have bought some cisco... argh.. the agony i must live with) i want my sister to not have to worry about tuition and little things in life. ive more than doubled the original money left and doesnt that include paying my 4 years of tuition and rent. granted most of my money is in liquid assets, but those are easy to get rid of. i mean, how hard would it be to sell my IS? haha. how dare i say something like that. when i graduate and start making some money, its M5 all the way baby! next to the 360 and the lambo and the....

hey ISFAN, i dont need you to clean my sh!t. i eat well so i poop well too. haha

mike
Originally posted by ISFAN:

what the hell do you do over there you. Your in school and have a 600k house and 100k in the bank. I want to send you my resume. I will clean your sh*t for ya

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Excuse me but am I reading this wrong. Are you saying you have 24,000 shares of Dell. So what about half a mil and you are driving a cls?

no, you're not reading that wrong. i inherited 13K shares, and purchased the rest.

i drive a cl-s because it's a reasonable car for a daily driver. i also have an 86 porsche 951, heavily modded. i'm not too horribly extravagant with cars.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I lost 12g's in March 2000
thats what stopped me from getting the MB CLK430
I hate Allan Greenspan (He's a C0CK that hurting the poor people!)

·
Registered
511 Posts
My wife's company, Sanmina,actually went up today despite the market. It was over 100 two weeks ago and is now at 83 or so. It's long term prospects are so good I think people started buying at the low price. Not to worry. She has options at about $20 and stock purchase plan is at $55 for the next two years.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Geoff and Acura,

I am sorry to hear that you received some of your wealth at the loss of a loved one. In all seriousness.

It is great that you both are wise with your fortune.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
my dad actually hates the stock market...i kinda got interested in it from my comp sci teacher(taught me the nitty gritty details and everything i'd never known before) and rambus was a real gamble for me, and i lost, what else could i expect.
i had my holdings in nvidia for a while but i ppulled out a little too early with 20% in my pocket =) i was pretty ahppy until i watched the price of nvidia soar and soar. hehe =) i'm just chiling right now, not woryring too much, but waiting and watching

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
As usual I agree with Fan. I swear you must be my evil twin - just smarter to have settled in FL...

It's only a loss when you SELL. Otherwise, it is only a loss on paper. Optimistically thinking, it is also a chance to save some tax money by selling a stinker.

The rule to take away from this correction is only invest money that you don't need for 2-4 years or more. Keep six months of pay in a money market mutual fund which pays 5% compared to the $hit you get in a standard checking account. This money is too be used for emergencies, vacation, car buying, etc.

So, it is a buying opportunity...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Geoff and Acura,

I am sorry to hear that you received some of your wealth at the loss of a loved one. In all seriousness.

It is great that you both are wise with your fortune.

thanks isfan. that's pretty damn cool of you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing