Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the near three years I've had my IS I added a Intake, HKS, Header, and S-AFC. It's been fucking LOUD to the point where I finally couldn't take it. I took off the intake and HKS Muffler, put the stock stuff back in and have never been happier. The (near) stock form of this car is just sweet. The exhaust note is beautiful and I love the fact that you can barely hear the engine period, except for at WOT when you want to hear it. I really can't notice any difference at all in performance except for maybe in the shifts. Is that because of the new back pressure??? I think that at sea-level the bolt on mods are a pretty good investment, but where I live up here at 6000ft, the thin, cold air just makes the car way too damn loud and not near enough power to match it. To me it just kind of sucks to have the loudest freakin car in town and be running in the 16s (no it's not my driving, the alt. really does fuck your car up that bad).

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
DENVER_IS300 said:
Over the near three years I've had my IS I added a Intake, HKS, Header, and S-AFC. It's been fucking LOUD to the point where I finally couldn't take it. I took off the intake and HKS Muffler, put the stock stuff back in and have never been happier. The (near) stock form of this car is just sweet. The exhaust note is beautiful and I love the fact that you can barely hear the engine period, except for at WOT when you want to hear it. I really can't notice any difference at all in performance except for maybe in the shifts. Is that because of the new back pressure??? I think that at sea-level the bolt on mods are a pretty good investment, but where I live up here at 6000ft, the thin, cold air just makes the car way too damn loud and not near enough power to match it. To me it just kind of sucks to have the loudest freakin car in town and be running in the 16s (no it's not my driving, the alt. really does f*ck your car up that bad).
I felt the same way after riding in my friends stock IS. SOOOO nice to go back to the quiet stock sound, until you go FI. Then it's a whole new game.

But as far as simple stuff like exhaust and intake, the noise just gives you more attention than it does REAL performance. IMHO.

I had the intake/Exhaust for a while before the turbo kit, and it was driving me nuts how the car sounded so much faster than it really was, now the sound matches the speed well. :D

My advice to anyone that wants REAl good gains and are planning to get FI later down the road for sure, screw the intake/exhaust/header crap when you can save for a FI kit. The I/H/E will cost and average price of $1500, then a S-AFC on top of that with dyno tuning, add another $350 easy, and you're already halfway to a PLP SC, or a third of the way to a nice turbo kit.

$2k for 40rwhp gain TOPS, or $4k for upwards of a 200rwhp gain (TBKO turbo or something).

Of course you can always sell the NA stuff if you go FI, but might only make 1/3 of the price back.

JUST my opinion, no need to flame... :D

Kane

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Kanine21 said:
DENVER_IS300 said:
Over the near three years I've had my IS I added a Intake, HKS, Header, and S-AFC. It's been fucking LOUD to the point where I finally couldn't take it. I took off the intake and HKS Muffler, put the stock stuff back in and have never been happier. The (near) stock form of this car is just sweet. The exhaust note is beautiful and I love the fact that you can barely hear the engine period, except for at WOT when you want to hear it. I really can't notice any difference at all in performance except for maybe in the shifts. Is that because of the new back pressure??? I think that at sea-level the bolt on mods are a pretty good investment, but where I live up here at 6000ft, the thin, cold air just makes the car way too damn loud and not near enough power to match it. To me it just kind of sucks to have the loudest freakin car in town and be running in the 16s (no it's not my driving, the alt. really does f*ck your car up that bad).
I felt the same way after riding in my friends stock IS. SOOOO nice to go back to the quiet stock sound, until you go FI. Then it's a whole new game.

But as far as simple stuff like exhaust and intake, the noise just gives you more attention than it does REAL performance. IMHO.

I had the intake/Exhaust for a while before the turbo kit, and it was driving me nuts how the car sounded so much faster than it really was, now the sound matches the speed well. :D

My advice to anyone that wants REAl good gains and are planning to get FI later down the road for sure, screw the intake/exhaust/header crap when you can save for a FI kit. The I/H/E will cost and average price of $1500, then a S-AFC on top of that with dyno tuning, add another $350 easy, and you're already halfway to a PLP SC, or a third of the way to a nice turbo kit.

$2k for 40rwhp gain TOPS, or $4k for upwards of a 200rwhp gain (TBKO turbo or something).

Of course you can always sell the NA stuff if you go FI, but might only make 1/3 of the price back.

JUST my opinion, no need to flame... :D

Kane
So true...so damn true. This is why the only bolt-on I bought was a catback exhaust. I knew i'd use it with the turbo and knew it wouldn't be worth it to buy an intake and header when the performance still wouldn't be great and it would just be sold later down the road for a fraction of the price. It's a good idea to plan ahead if you're seriously considering F/I. I always wanted a turbo so I held off on the bolt-ons for what seemed like forever. But now it'll pay off cause i'm not losing any money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts