Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Stock HU have extra inputs or outputs in the back so i can hook up a computer sound card to it?

And.. does anyone have an aftermarket headunit that matches the interior really nicely just incase I have to replace mine?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
dskang100 said:
Does the Stock HU have extra inputs or outputs in the back so i can hook up a computer sound card to it?

And.. does anyone have an aftermarket headunit that matches the interior really nicely just incase I have to replace mine?
NO,
Check the sticky at the top of the page and it would let you know that the factory radio has no aux in's, or out's.

·
8,880 Posts
You haven't done much research, have you? :lol:
I'll help you out a bit.
How to add Aux Input

Check .net store for JDM dash kit. It is OEM piece that fills space when aftermarket deck is installed.

BTW, I'm in the middle of my PC project that is going full ahead.
There are many issues to consider, much research to do.
Have fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
vlad_a said:
You haven't done much research, have you? :lol:
I'll help you out a bit.
How to add Aux Input

Check .net store for JDM dash kit. It is OEM piece that fills space when aftermarket deck is installed.

BTW, I'm in the middle of my PC project that is going full ahead.
There are many issues to consider, much research to do.
Have fun.
I think that link is for output's...here's how to add an AUX input:

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13343124&highlight=aux+input

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
It's in that thread too. One came from the other. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
c2kdb said:
it seems not bad, but is it really that easy?
dunno, looks difficult to me. I'm hoping to find someone local who's done it before, or at least has more confidence it can be done w/o screwing anything up so they can help me with this mod. No luck so far though... :-?

·
Registered
170 Posts
How many ppl have done it with that instruction? what do u all think is the most difficult part, or wich part we should be really carefull...
thanks...

·
Registered
170 Posts
c2kdb said:
How many ppl have done it with that instruction? what do u all think is the most difficult part, or wich part we should be really carefull...
thanks...
Ok, I did it.... not bad at all if use sophies instruction(awesome source)... now I only wish i didn't scratch that trim...

you can get everything u need from Radioshack for less than $35...
-4 solerless(i'm lazy) Phono plugs(RCA plugs) - $4
-a RCA Switcher-$17
-4 RCA Extansion cable - $12
-some wires cut off from the fm modulator that i'm gonna return - $0 :lol:

the pretty f**king good sound quality for 3 sources------Priceless...

**My 100th Posts**

·
Registered
110 Posts
I need some help...I'm pulling my hair out over this one..

I followed the instructions for the aux input mod because I'm putting in a satellite radio. I've got 2 sets of RCA outputs, stock radio and satellite radio...with the switcher, the regular radio works fine, but when switched to the satellite radio I get nothing. I even tried plugging the satellite radio outputs directly into the mod inputs per the instructions, and still I get nothing. :whine:

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? The satellite receiver works with the tape deck adapter...but when I switch to the rca's and plug them in, I get nothing....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
8,880 Posts
^^^^
Is the HU ON when you try the Sat Radio?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep...HU stays on, I just get no sound whatsoever when I use the RCA's coming from the satellite receiver. Thought it might have been a bad receiver, got a new one, same thing. I've got to figure that the input mod was done correctly because when I have the stock HU going through the switcher, it works fine...I really have no idea what the problem could be...I must have tried everything. :cry:

·
8,880 Posts
Well, lets recap then.
Best would be to take some pictures of your setup.
Which wires did you cut?
Are any of the input wires touching/connected to the ground on the Sat Radio side?
Does tha Sat Radio have ability to operate on batteries? If so, try to use them instead of car power, thus disconnecting the ground for testing purposes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I cut the red, yellow and black and connected (soldered) them to 2 new wires. Cut the white wire ran it through the base of the rca plug, and connected the new (ground) wire to the outer part of the rca plug. Did the same thing with the green wire.

I have the Kenwood Here2Anywhere receiver with the car docking station.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=2537

It doesn't have the ability to use batteries, but it uses the cigarette adapter. It has the option to using the tape adapter or the RCA outputs...I get music with the tape adapter (and the annoying sound of the "tape playing"), but when I switch to the RCA's, plugging them into my new input mod, silence...

Any ideas?

·
8,880 Posts
I did the research for you.
You will be billed accordingly.
Click here for the input mod pictures
The yellow/red/black wires should be connected together-they are negative signal input and signal ground (yellow). They also need to be connected to the Brown wire (Ground)
The wires from your RCAs would go to White (Left) and Green (Right).

It should work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep...those are the instructions I followed...I pretty sure I did the input mod correctly, wish I had something else to test it with besides the stock HU and the satellite receiver though. Stock HU works when I connect the rca's just moded.

·
8,880 Posts
Make sure your ground is also connected to the brown wire.
A laptop or a portable audio device can be used to test the mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts