Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of doing an ls swap and this time I want to get rid of the factory ecu completely. I will do a full stand alone with a dash display in place of the cluster. Question is when removing the ECU completely what functions do you loose?

A/C is going away, LS will be drive by cable so.

Don't really think will loose any functions of the car itself.

·
4,743 Posts
You lose factory engine, tranny, and A/C control. But if you search and read. Other threads cover the LS swaps and what can stay or go. Like A/C still can work with some wiring. Along with he factory cluster if wanted. You should do more research first.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You can add all the components you want on a full standalone like traction control and cruise control if the standalone supports it. It won't be plug and play as these things will need to be added separately. AC can be kept with some wiring. You basically don't lose anything but gain much more but it's time you have to invest to get everything running. Time is money so don't expect it to be cheap if you want everything running on it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just a thought:

A Link G4x is a rather powerful ecu, and there is a version of it called the AltezzaLink meant to be installed right where the factory ecu goes. It will control the factory AC and instrument panel, too.

Because it's meant for the 3SGE Altezza, the pinout is different than an IS300 - so you either have to re-map the pin assignment to make it jive with IS300 chassis and your LS - or you can have Panic Wire make you a custom harness specifically for your application.

Last - you mentioned your LS will have a cable throttle. That's fine, but your ability to implement traction control will be severely limited. In addition, you'll need to add some kind of control for your idle. A DBW throttle can solve both these, and more. Most people think DBW throttles suck, but they usually don't realize the feel of them sucks because of the way the OEMs have them tuned, which gives them a laggy feeling. With a programmable ecu - that can all be tuned to be every bit as responsive as a cable throttle. There's a lot of advantages to it, so give it some thought.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a thought:

A Link G4x is a rather powerful ecu, and there is a version of it called the AltezzaLink meant to be installed right where the factory ecu goes. It will control the factory AC and instrument panel, too.

Because it's meant for the 3SGE Altezza, the pinout is different than an IS300 - so you either have to re-map the pin assignment to make it jive with IS300 chassis and your LS - or you can have Panic Wire make you a custom harness specifically for your application.

Last - you mentioned your LS will have a cable throttle. That's fine, but your ability to implement traction control will be severely limited. In addition, you'll need to add some kind of control for your idle. A DBW throttle can solve both these, and more. Most people think DBW throttles suck, but they usually don't realize the feel of them sucks because of the way the OEMs have them tuned, which gives them a laggy feeling. With a programmable ecu - that can all be tuned to be every bit as responsive as a cable throttle. There's a lot of advantages to it, so give it some thought.
Interesting. I have the DBW from the LS truck manifold so I can swap between which one is gonna work best. I figured since the 2J was running cable throttle keep it that way but I am definitely open to better options:)

As far as A/C I have cut that out of the build because cost of getting A/C compressor that fits just isn't worth it and the space.

Thank you guys for the responses:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts