Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to 1noless's house last night and took his car for a drive. His 03 sport design had a little under 3000 miles on it and the clutch pedal felt really easy to push in and it engaged into gear at the bottom of the pedal. I got a 02 5spd with about 22,000 miles on it and i hoped into my car and sh#t, my clutch pedal felt so stiff compared to his and i was having trouble getting used to it again. Also my gears engage alot more in the middle-end of the pedal.

My question is why is it different? the miles on the car? my way of driving? 02 vs 03? Is my clutch going bad?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Studlyy796 said:
I went over to 1noless's house last night and took his car for a drive. His 03 sport design had a little under 3000 miles on it and the clutch pedal felt really easy to push in and it engaged into gear at the bottom of the pedal. I got a 02 5spd with about 22,000 miles on it and i hoped into my car and sh#t, my clutch pedal felt so stiff compared to his and i was having trouble getting used to it again. Also my gears engage alot more in the middle-end of the pedal.

My question is why is it different? the miles on the car? my way of driving? 02 vs 03? Is my clutch going bad?
:-? the clutch on the IS300 is iffy - i'm still getting used to it.
I have 2003 sport design and compared to other cars i've driven (bmw, vw, honda, isuzu) it has a weird clutch. Like it engages on the bottom, but it also feels like there is a second point if you let it out half way.

Sometimes when shifting fast, it feels like the clucth is slipping? Am I the only one that notices that? It's not bad, the RPMs don't drop as fast and I can stay in the power band easier.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have 2003 sport design and compared to other cars i've driven (bmw, vw, honda, isuzu) it has a weird clutch. Like it engages on the bottom, but it also feels like there is a second point if you let it out half way.

Sometimes when shifting fast, it feels like the clucth is slipping? Am I the only one that notices that? It's not bad, the RPMs don't drop as fast and I can stay in the power band easier.
ya i konw what you mean about the 2 different points. feels as though the cluch disengages at one point and engages at another. maybe i'm crazy :crazy:

·
8,880 Posts
CDD (Clutch Dampening Device) - > Crazy People :lol:
Do a search on CDD and CDD Mod. :wink:

Back to the topic,

My 2003 IS's clutch engagnes somewhere in the middle and is very stiff.

·
Registered
960 Posts
goldark said:
Studlyy796 said:

I think that "second point" feeling is due to the weird return spring design of the clutch pedal. I has a distinct "over center" feel, like deploying a kick stand on a bike of motorcycle. I think a linear extension or compression return spring would be better in terms of feel and it would prevent the pedal from sticking to the floor when you are trying to bleed the system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts