Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, how long does the stock brake pads normally last? I dirve moderately "spirited". I want to get some irotors, SS lines and brake pads but need to wait till my stock pads wear out to justify it to the wifey. :-?

My car is just about at 20k

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
pmergler said:
Quick question, how long does the stock brake pads normally last? I dirve moderately "spirited". I want to get some irotors, SS lines and brake pads but need to wait till my stock pads wear out to justify it to the wifey. :-?

stock brake pads last for 30,000kms or / 18750 miles, well atleast over here in NZ.

MATT

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
frylai said:
pmergler said:

stock brake pads last for 30,000kms or / 18750 miles, well atleast over here in NZ.

MATT
Damn 18,750 mi. shiat, I need to look at mine. I might be due for a replacement :) That would rock!!!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LX4U2NV said:
rusty97 said:
I have 30k miles on my car and I took a look at the pads the other weekend. There's still like 2/3 left on mine.
I second that....
bummer......I haven't looked at mine yet but mine are probably fine....damn I have to wait longer for the rotor upgrade :cry:

·
Registered
511 Posts
LX4U2NV said:
pmergler said:
....damn I have to wait longer for the rotor upgrade :cry:
Again....I second that!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

pmergler,

If you want to change your rotors you might as well. As for me I'm really happy about how well these pads hold up. They brake like there's no tomorrow, make hardly any dust and last a long time. Very well designed IMHO.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Got the original pads with 51K miles.

It's not till at about 1K back that I noticed a decrease in performance. I'd like to get something as close as possible to the originals (I don't want higher performance ones that don't last as long).

Question 1:
Where should I get new pads w/o getting ripped off?

Question 2:
If not from the dealer, what barand/model?

Question 3:
About how much $$$ in parts and labor?

Last Question:
Besides getting the pads replaced, what else might they need to do with the brakes to bring it back into ORIGINAL tip top performance?

PS.
I did a search and found the lexus parts store at:

http://shop.lexuspartstore.com/?make=LX&year=2001

I have no idea what's what nor what to get...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Peter_Klim said:

It's not till at about 1K back that I noticed a decrease in performance. I'd like to get something as close as possible to the originals (I don't want higher performance ones that don't last as long).

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Last Question:
Besides getting the pads replaced, what else might they need to do with the brakes to bring it back into ORIGINAL tip top performance?

PS.

Here (scroll to the bottom) is where I got mine from thinking they needed to be changed. Best prices I found.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Peter_Klim said:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Last Question:

PS.

Also if you want even better braking without getting high performance pads I would suggest getting steal braided brake lines. I heard that they make an incredible difference. You get immediate breaking performance rather then the the "squishiness" with the stock setup due to expansion of the stock rubber lines.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just replaced my rotors and brake lines with Slotted and dimple rotors and SS lines. I have about 60k miles on the car with original pads and they are still at >50% life (unfortunately). I noticed that the bite are better with slotted vs. standard. You will noticed that the pads WILL wear out faster with slotted or CD and/or combination. I just ordered Performance Friction Z-rated pads (http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/brands.htm) around $180 for all (dammed expensive) but my boss swears by it. I read up on the stuff and this is the best pads they make for all the features we are looking for- Low noise, low dust, good stopping power, longer pad and rotor life etc..
Check out their site.

·
3,221 Posts
I have the orginal pads with 54K on them. I changed to the Rotora slotted rotors around 29K I think. But looks like I'm at that point of needing new pads.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SpectraLex said:
I just replaced my rotors and brake lines with Slotted and dimple rotors and SS lines. I have about 60k miles on the car with original pads and they are still at >50% life (unfortunately). I noticed that the bite are better with slotted vs. standard. You will noticed that the pads WILL wear out faster with slotted or CD and/or combination. I just ordered Performance Friction Z-rated pads (http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/brands.htm) around $180 for all (dammed expensive) but my boss swears by it. I read up on the stuff and this is the best pads they make for all the features we are looking for- Low noise, low dust, good stopping power, longer pad and rotor life etc..
Check out their site.
I heard that if you get new rotors and keep the stock used pads you run the risk of wrping your new rotors to the wear pattern of the pads....are you concerned about that? Or is that so minimal it isn't noticable?

·
3,221 Posts
pmergler said:
I heard that if you get new rotors and keep the stock used pads you run the risk of wrping your new rotors to the wear pattern of the pads....are you concerned about that? Or is that so minimal it isn't noticable?
You warp your rotors by not breaking them in and taking it easy for the first 500 miles. If you think, just because you have new slotted/drilled rotors that you can be a demon on the brakes, you're wrong. You have to give it time to break in.

That's where people probably go wrong and warp their rotors. Or crystalize them.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
simpdaddy said:
pmergler said:
You warp your rotors by not breaking them in and taking it easy for the first 500 miles. If you think, just because you have new slotted/drilled rotors that you can be a demon on the brakes, you're wrong. You have to give it time to break in.

That's where people probably go wrong and warp their rotors. Or crystalize them.
Gotcha, so I shouldn't be worried if I got new rotors to use the stock pads?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts