Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not going to get into previous info, i have done my research, but would i be better off building the stock block for when i get boost hungry, or use the stock twin turbo block and the vvti head? both are capable of lots of horsepower or would the twin turbo block be a no-brainer? thanks alot guys, looking to do the engine work real soon to try and keep up haha :crazy:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
nuttable02lex said:
Not going to get into previous info, i have done my research, but would i be better off building the stock block for when i get boost hungry, or use the stock twin turbo block and the vvti head? both are capable of lots of horsepower or would the twin turbo block be a no-brainer? thanks alot guys, looking to do the engine work real soon to try and keep up haha :crazy:
Given your goal of 600+ hp in the other thread, just buy a TT shortblock. They hold over 800rwhp. Just slap it on, and voila!

Granted, there is a lot more you will have to worry about than just the block in your quest for power, but talk to some guys on the supra forums who did N/A-T swaps with the short block. They will be of a great deal of help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man thanks alot your a great guy i appreciate all the info, knowledge is power i soak up as much as possible. whats your name? mines J.T. im out here in ft myers, florida.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I talked to lance today....my power goal is 30psi range..600+rwhp....I have a wet kit(75 shot), Ntercooler nitrous rail and he said Id be crazy to do the shortblock and to jus spend the money on the TT internals on stock block and said I will be 100% happy and wont notice any difference but the money outta my wallet....tho there is lower compresion...But I heard you lose a lil bottom end with the TT shortblock on...Who knows...Im happy with either setup...Jus helpin people save money .....Your choices tho...
-Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah man thats what i have been thinking i mean why take a tt shortblock and put stock tt internals in that when u can just take je pistons crower rods, have lance build and blueprint the motor like i am going to do, then have my friend help me with his tig welder make the custom stuff and worse case have lance tune it, but i think we have that under control too. and spend less than $10,000 for 600+ hp. also matt how does your car run in this florida weather, i wish i could get a ride in that to push me to boost mine faster haha. arent you up in bradenton?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
nuttable02lex said:
Hey man thanks alot your a great guy i appreciate all the info, knowledge is power i soak up as much as possible. whats your name? mines J.T. im out here in ft myers, florida.
Sup man, I'm Chris, outta Silver Spring, MD. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If I may chime in a minute.....In my Honest opinion it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another......

Case in point...

A) You take a Stock GE Shortblock and throw in JE Pistons and either Pauter or Carillo Rods.....You can easily handle the 600 rwhp or more and it'll cost ya about 1800-2000 plus labor.....

B) You go out purchase a TT shortblock have it installed and you're good till at least the 750-800 Rwhp mark if not more.....The plus on this side is the block has the oil squirters which some feel make a difference and some feel it's not even that necessary(Guess you can't be too safe tho')....
You spend 2200 here plus labor.....

Either way you go you'll be fine.........IMHO the Best way to go....GTE Shortblock with Carillo or Pauter Rods and you can leave the stock pistons..........This set-up was proven on Ara's car(Bullish Racing 1st Street Supra in the 9's) to handle 1000rwhp with the help of Incredible tuning(George) and an incredible EMS(MoTec).......

Hope that helps man.....

btw.....nuttable02lex.....How do you plan on spending less then 10k for 600+HP ?....Just wondering....

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH Racing Enhanced.....
".....TOYOMOTO & BULLISH Racing.........When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST....."
.............Still TOYOMOTO's Top Dawg.....at least with an IS...lol

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
600+rwhp for under 10k is fo sho damn near impossbile...BTW I am in Tampa but only bout a 45 min drive to bradenton...Once I get the car back from Toyomoto Ill be happy to meet up with you and show you whats its all bout...
-Matt

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nuttable02lex said:
and spend less than $10,000 for 600+ hp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im sorry if that came off as kind of bragging, i didn;t mean for that, i realized what i said afterwards. But i actually have my own business, im 19 started it a year ago, gettign a shop this winter hopefully, got lots of dreams :eek: but anyways, i get stuff cheap, im in good with local shops that have big buying power, also the guy that is gonna help me with cutom stuff, worked for lance, so he has a hookup on lance's labor hour cheaper plus, when my car is done, this guy is gonna tune it, not lance, we are gonan try and whip out some turbo kits, i might even forget about my business and try to start something with him. he's very intelligent. anyways being that i have a wonderful connection, hopefully i'll get the tranny and the engine work for $12,000 just trying to find the tranny. anyways, through this guy, if the turbo works out nice and smooth (like lance) he can whip out turbo kits and in-house big installs, like we are gonna do on mine. he has had lots of experience with the 2jz and wants to work on high end cars like infiniti's, 350z's stuff like that, he did all the eclipse integra stages. anyways i know what you mean about the oil squirters too dan in the gte, which setup are you running? i remember when your car came out in a magazine i was up in chicago and i had just gotten my new is300 silver tan interior, and didn't make one payment on it yet, had a kit coming (arms design) and custom turbo work through my dad's friend, and some women cut me off i waited 2 months for this car in florida, 5spd 2002 it was later in the year and they were hard to come by. I lost it all totalled 1300 miles on it from the drive from ft myers florida to chicago. i almost went through what freelance did you know. well anyways its nice to finally meet you Dan im J.T. by the way. thankyou for all your knowledge and thankyou for representing an is300 the proper way..... lots of boost! :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
JT....First off sorry to hear about all the troubles you had....I know what it's like to go thru BS....Just gotta keep moving forward.....Also Good Luck in all future endeavors...

As for my kit it's a Stage all in it's own right.....I mean it's beyond the Stage 5, so I just consider it a Lance Custom Kit....Basically beyond anything he's done to date.....

I'll be in Miami the 2nd week of December, as long as all goes well and the car is gonna be with me.....Maybe i'll get to meet ya then

Anymore ???'s feel free to ask.....Later

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH Racing Enhanced.....
".....TOYOMOTO & BULLISH Racing.........When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST....."
.............Still TOYOMOTO's Top Dawg.....at least with an IS...lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot Dan your the best, i will definately link up with you in miami if you go, hopefully i'll have my car done by then and we can line em up haha. Also i have your car on my background on my desktop haha just thought i'd say that. Thanks again!

PS do you know anything about a hks afr controller? what do you use in your car. i just got my greddy profec b boost controller, there is no turning back now YESSSS!!! $200 shipped to my door not bad??

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Most cars from Toyomoto use the Blitz boost controller...I think this includes: Dan, Randy, Hectic, Myself, Its a lovely boost controller..I couldnt imagine using any other...but to each his own...We have the Greddy Prfec on our Supra and its very user friendly youll enjoy it...
-Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts