Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

How are you? This thread is my personal continuation of the thread started by oneeyejack labeled "PICTURES of 02 nav housing in my 01 IS300"

I have a few important questions... First and formost I must give you some background on my car and what I already have. I own a 2001 IS300. It obviously did not have the nav system in it. I did go online and by pure chance came across an ebay auction selling a factory nav screen and housing. I bought the housing for $405. Here is a link to the auction so you can see exactly what I have purchased. Please keep comments on the shape of the item to yourself. I have no problem reconditioning the outside of the housing. My main concern is to have a working dvd player in my car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=38653&item=2448281835

Anyway, all that aside I need to know how in the world to do it. I have the housing and a few hundred dollars to spend. I would like the screen to pop up when I turn on the car and close when I turn off the car. Since this is a factory housing, I am sure that it is capable of doing it, but not sure how to wire it up. I am pretty handy but definitely need some guidance before I go further.

As youcan see from this pic from the auction...

the screen does not seem to have any RCA inputs (as I believe they are called). I need to know if this screen can be used with a regular dvd player or if I have to buy the ever popular 'farenheit' screen that people talk about. If I do have to buy that screen, can someone please tell me where I can get one at a reasonable price. Or even lead me to a basic screen that would work in the factory housing.

I do plan on getting a reasonable dvd player and installing it in my car somewhere. I am still undecided on the location. I am looking at my passenger side, either in the glove compartment or under the glovecompartment. I really would like to have MP3 playback capabilies so I am assume that the dvd player needs to be in view so that my remote can have access to chaging the tracks. I am also curious about the infrared eye that some people use. The factory navigation has a spot for the infrared eye and I am wondering if I could somehow connect to it. That way I can hide the dvd player in my glovebox and still control it from the dvd remote via the infrared sensor in the NAV housing. Please give me your thoughts.

I am planning on using an FM modulator as well for the audio output of the dvd player.

Key points I need YOUR help on...
1. Can I connect the factory NAV housing to allow the screen to open and clode automatically when I tuen on and off the car.
2. Can I use the factory screen somehow or do I have to get another aftermarket screen.
2b. If I do have to get an aftermarket screen, which do you guys recommend and where can I get them.
3. Which DVD player do you guys recommend and which spots should I look at for installation.
4. Anyone know if I can use the factory infrared eye for dvd player operation
5. Is there a particular FM modulator that you wold recommend and @ what price.

*************LASTLY**************
Should I even attempt to do this or am I just going overboard for a freakin DVD player. Your thoughts on costs and attempting this project are much appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

·
8,827 Posts
I was looking at that auction when it was $100 and was wondering who would pay that much. $400 :-? Ouch. :whine:
The only thing usable is the factory screen housing, which I would not call usable since it is all scratched up (from your post it is not a problem) and the motor. At any rate, brand new housing would've cost you around $650.
The rest is starndard deal, buy a screen, install it into the housing, hook it up to a dvd player, feed the audio using FM modulator or do the AUX input mod.
Look into oneeyejack's thread on DIY instructions. They should be identical to what you have there.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
answering question number 1) Hooking up the circuit board to allow it to open and close is easy.
This is taken from the Extended instructions, the word doc that somebody posted.

Connecting the circuit board...
This will be the hardest part of putting your system together. Looking at the rear of the control circuit there are two large plugs. The largest one is where you will connect your wires. There are small prongs inside the plug and you can either solder the wires on or use small female connectors. Be sure that NO pins are touching each other or you might short your circuit board.

The wiring goes as follows:
(12v+) - Top right corner pin of the large plug
(Acc.) - Bottom right corner pin of the large plug
(Ground) - Bottom left corner pin of the large plug

For question number 2) I would recommend you take the screen out and see if there are any video in ports in there. just pop the cover off the top and you should see the screen in there.

·
13,898 Posts
thedon said:
answering question number 1) Hooking up the circuit board to allow it to open and close is easy.
This is taken from the Extended instructions, the word doc that somebody posted.

Connecting the circuit board...
This will be the hardest part of putting your system together. Looking at the rear of the control circuit there are two large plugs. The largest one is where you will connect your wires. There are small prongs inside the plug and you can either solder the wires on or use small female connectors. Be sure that NO pins are touching each other or you might short your circuit board.

The wiring goes as follows:
(12v+) - Top right corner pin of the large plug
(Acc.) - Bottom right corner pin of the large plug
(Ground) - Bottom left corner pin of the large plug

For question number 2) I would recommend you take the screen out and see if there are any video in ports in there. just pop the cover off the top and you should see the screen in there.
those are my instructions. :wink:

btw, the stock nav screen doesn't have any inputs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.