Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not mines... my friend's A/C does not smell pleasant at all.. is there a solution to get rid of that smell?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Stinky AC is almost always mildew in the system. A simple solution to try is Lysol Spray. Turn the fan up to High, spray Lysol into the intake vents (usually at the base of the windshield's exterior below the wipers) which will circulate through the system and, hopefully, kill the skanky mildew smell. On older cars in humid climates, you may have to do it a couple of times.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Actually, Lysol is more an anti-bacterial spray than an air freshener. So, it will kill the mildew germs and make the system smell nicer, too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man I have this same problem! Sometimes when I put the heater on, i get this NASTY smell. Is it mildew? The dudes at the dealership told me that there is this water container below the glove box which always has some AC water in there and over time it gets nasty and needs to be flushed out? True?

·
Registered
828 Posts
It's usually mildew on the A/C evap coils. There's a foam that you can squirt into the A/C plenum and it cleans all that out and flushes it out the condensate drain.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had similar problems in my 2001, and I've applied a fungicide through air intake louvers on two or three occasions. Each application did seem to make a difference, but the smell eventually recurred.

However, I just recently replaced the air conditioning filter at about 23,500 miles, and that seems to have eliminated any smell in the car.
This was my first replacement, and it was easy to do. I just ordered two
more filters (approx $22 each), and I think I'll replace about every 10-12K. The interior seems to be much better now than it did shortly after
the times when I used the fungicide.

·
Registered
67 Posts
you can try the lysol or some form of antibacterial spray trick but rseifer's idea is the best all air entering the passenger compartment comes through some such filter to eliminate pollens and the such for people with allergys and this is a very good point to start from when odor is present in the hvac system

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a thought

Maybe stinky A/C is caused by using recirculation instead of fresh air from the road. Sometimes when I cut on my A/C, I will smell briefly the fast food I brought home the day before, or cologne from previous trips and so on. Maybe some of this stinky A/C may even be caused by flatulence while driving. I highly recommend rolling down all windows if you can't wait to do that when you get out of the car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hey guys, i had this problem too, it smelled RANCID in my car...do you guys use air spencer? because that is the reason why mine smelled. despite the yummy smell from the squash some how it affects the a/c and smells like musty crap. so, im not sure whether you guys use it, but if you do, i'd suggest taking it out for a few days to see how it works out, cuz i did and mine smells fine now

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's very possible you have dead rodents in your system. If it's really rancid and persistent it's probably that but if it's more stale then it's mildew.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had my heater core replaced due to some noise at rpm. Apparently there were bubbles in the coil that couldn't be release by any other means besides replacement.

Anyway my point is it reaked hard before they replaced the coil and it smells like a new car now. It makes all the difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok here is the deal guys. I really looked into this and took my car to the dealership 3 times as I cannot stand even a little bad smell. Its the A/C Filter which needs to be replaced every 15000 Miles. Mine was real dirty at 18K and had all sorts of leaves, dirt, bugs and other crap in it so if your A/C is not smelling too fresh after 15K then replace the $22 filter and spray it with air freshner and your car will smell great. Unfortunately I do not have time to work on my car and experiment so I took it to Lexus of Austin and they did the Filter change for $66 which I think is steap but id rather pay-n-smile. Also someone said that they replaced it themselves? Is it easy and how did you do it. I know I can get one for $25 all genuine but where is it located and how do I go about changing it? Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Varun--The cabin filter is in a horizontal "drawer" just forward of the
glove box. The manual says you need to pull out the two hinge pins on the glove box so it can be lowered for access to the filter drawer.

Somebody here on the site suggested a much better procedure, which I followed, and it is truly easy. The glovebox has two rubber "stops", which
hold the box when you open it. If you take a flashlight and shine it onto the right side of the box, you can see one of the stops, and there is one directly opposite on the left side of the box. Simply compress or pinch in the sides of the box, and those stops will be bypassed, and the box will drop down another 10 inches or so. Then just reach into the space behind the box and pull out the drawer, which will contain the filter. Replace the
filter, slide the drawer back into the slot, pull up the glove box to the point where the rubber stops once again contact the surrounding area, and that's it. The first time takes about two minutes. I think my next filter
will take less than a minute, front to back, including removing all the crap
that's in the glove box. This is really a very straightforward DIY job.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thank you for your help in this matter. I now feel like a fool for paying lexus $70 to do it bit its no biggie i guess! next time i will do it on my own!
cheers!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Just a thought

Perfunctory said:
Maybe stinky A/C is caused by using recirculation instead of fresh air from the road. quote]

Typically, it's the other way around.

Constantly using the outside air rather than recirculate will clog your a/c filter more quickly and allow additional airborne crap into the car. Moreover, in most circumstances, using the recirculated air gives you slightly better performance and efficiency.

·
Registered
114 Posts
now that its summer and i own a luxery car, i actually use the A/C, unlike b4 w/ my nissan. man its so embarrassing when my girl gets in my car and i turn it on and all of a sudden it reaks of nasty feet. aww man i can't wait till tomorrow to get this done. where can i get that filter?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
BuLLeT said:
now that its summer and i own a luxery car, i actually use the A/C, unlike b4 w/ my nissan. man its so embarrassing when my girl gets in my car and i turn it on and all of a sudden it reaks of nasty feet. aww man i can't wait till tomorrow to get this done. where can i get that filter?

dealer

irontoad.com

1 - 20 of 35 Posts