Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1/8/04

Having never installed sway bars, I thought the bushings were too big and wouldnt fit. Well they actually fit fine. The bushings are a bit spread out after torquing down the brackets... but since they're polyurethane, I don't think thats going to matter.

After riding on them for a few days, I'd definitely say these are worth $200, to me. Not much more tho, since for $100 more, you can step up to fully adjustable Hotchkis. Obviously a night and day difference from the stock sways, but I do wish the front was adjustable. I'd like if the front was a little tighter. The rear is 2 way adjustable, and I have it on the stiffer setting and it's fine.

Install was pretty smooth. Took about 1.5 hrs, and one person can handle it easy. I rolled my car up on ramps, which I recommend for the DIY'er. $20 for the ABS plastic ones over at Kragen. Also, a shop I called said the wheels need to be loaded to install sways, another reason I recommend ramps.

If you're in the market for some inexpensive brand new sways, go for it. I don't hit the canyons or autox, so I'll be fine with these for a long time to come. If you do, I don't think these are for you. With the addition of these sways, and my Tein HAs 3 clicks counterclockwise in front, and 1 in back, my car is a different machine. Rides pretty smooth and handles 100 time better.

I want to apologize to Stillen for saying these don't fit, and potentially driving business away. These definitely fit, and for the price you pay ($200), I think you'll be satisfied.

-original post below - disregard-

I bought a set of Stillen sways cause they are on sale for $200. Good deal for new sways right? Wrong. The parts sheet says included is 2 sway bars, 4 bushings, and 2 brackets. I open up the box at Stillen, no brackets. The guy says you use the factory ones. I believe the guy...wtf do I know. He works there.

Get home, dismantle my car. I start installing the front sway and the Stillen bushing is too fucking big. I was so pissed I forgot to take a pic with my digi cam, so heres a drawing and crappy pic from my camera phone.

I searched the stop/drop section for any info on these and there is none. Bad sign, I should have seen this coming.

·
Registered
565 Posts
lexusloversdotcom said:
You got Front and Rear for $200 w/bushings? That's a great price

I paid $115 for my rear TRD bar and I gotta have it powercoated red WHo the hell would want yellow? :pissed:
Its not like your ever going to see it. You have to get down on ur back and wedge your head under the car to see it.....that unless you like to lift your car a lot and let people admire the underside... :roll:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
lexusloversdotcom said:
You got Front and Rear for $200 w/bushings? That's a great price

I paid $115 for my rear TRD bar and I gotta have it powercoated red WHo the hell would want yellow? :pissed:
me :)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
thats hella fuked up bro, definitely keep us updated... I love my trd yellow sways.... 8)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
somguy2u said:
well if its a urethane bushing, its supposed to be a little bit like that, not like half an inch, maybe 1/8th though, you might not be that bad.
somguy2u, thanks for the info. I took them back to Stillen today and they told me the exact same thing. They also showed me a bushing and bracket for the 300zx, and it stuck out too.

The rep I dealt with also said if I wasnt satisfied with the way they fit after I installed them, to bring them back for a full refund. They were real cool over there, so I wanna apologize for the whole F Stillen thing. That post was out of frustration.

-Question- What if I torque all the bolts down to spec, and I still have a gap between the bracket and frame? Should I use a washer? Can I leave the gap and just use locktite to hold everything together? Any advice would help if I do happen to run into this issue tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and advice so far.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
specs on these are techinachally like 25-30 ft lbs. (thats 50-60 lbs of force on an average wrench) i bet. make them pretty tight if you jsut have a normal wrench. don't worry about space, if its there, it s just one less thing to rattl and rub as long as those bolts are tight, hand work is fine, make sure you lube them up good, real good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.