Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have the Stillen intake? I like it and all, but I have had a CEL since I put it on. What intakes are there that don't give u a CEL at all, besides the SRT? Thanks and +rep for helpers.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You should do a search, there are many information about this. I've had the Injen Gen3 for almost 1 year and no problem (no CEL) and I love it.... Other intakes you might want to look into are: PLP, K&N FIPK, SRT, JoeZ, etc... Go do a search and you'll see that you'll find lots of info about intakes.

One thing I don't get is how come you don't know what Intakes are good for our car, but you are a .NET Enthusiast with 1,187 posts.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here's what I don't get . . . the ram air intakes like the K&N FIPK, SRT, JoeZ etc. all seem to make only as much power as something like the ProLex intake which only replaces the pipe but leaves the stock airbox (and uses a special filter). The advantage you get with the PLP is that you don't hear the intake . . . I've seen a number of people who have complained about the noise of the SRT and JoeZ and K&N ram-air intakes (sounds like an espresso machine etc.) and they've actually taken them back off after buying them due to the noise. I think all of the intakes except the SRT are only good for an extra +8rwhp with the SRT making I think +15 due to the chip . . .

IMHO - unless you're getting the SRT with the chip - I'd go with something that retains the stock airbox but uses a high-flow filter like the ProLexPerformance intake . . . it'll be much quieter but you'll get the same rwhp gains.

I myself have the PLP intake and I plan on getting a Greddy eManage or an Apex S-AFCII unit to change my a/f mixture with some dyno-tuning . . . I didn't like the idea of having the hard-wired chip from SRT that I couldn't tune / tweak to my car's characteristics - but that's just me. A PLP SFI + eManage / S-AFCII is only a little more expensive than the SRT intake (although you have the hidden cost of dyno-tuning for at least an hour which is probably another $125) . . .

I dunno - I've heard the ram-air intakes - not a big fan of the swishing noise they make under the hood - and apparently there are a number of people who have swapped them back out for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
0v3rki77 said:
Here's what I don't get . . . the ram air intakes like the K&N FIPK, SRT, JoeZ etc. all seem to make only as much power as something like the ProLex intake which only replaces the pipe but leaves the stock airbox (and uses a special filter). The advantage you get with the PLP is that you don't hear the intake . . . I've seen a number of people who have complained about the noise of the SRT and JoeZ and K&N ram-air intakes (sounds like an espresso machine etc.) and they've actually taken them back off after buying them due to the noise. I think all of the intakes except the SRT are only good for an extra +8rwhp with the SRT making I think +15 due to the chip . . .

IMHO - unless you're getting the SRT with the chip - I'd go with something that retains the stock airbox but uses a high-flow filter like the ProLexPerformance intake . . . it'll be much quieter but you'll get the same rwhp gains.

I myself have the PLP intake and I plan on getting a Greddy eManage or an Apex S-AFCII unit to change my a/f mixture with some dyno-tuning . . . I didn't like the idea of having the hard-wired chip from SRT that I couldn't tune / tweak to my car's characteristics - but that's just me. A PLP SFI + eManage / S-AFCII is only a little more expensive than the SRT intake (although you have the hidden cost of dyno-tuning for at least an hour which is probably another $125) . . .

I dunno - I've heard the ram-air intakes - not a big fan of the swishing noise they make under the hood - and apparently there are a number of people who have swapped them back out for the same reason.

A couple of wrong info: First off the Joe Z is that same in design as the PLP except the PLP comes with a filter and you have a choice of filters with the Joe Z. So if anyone thinks the Joe Z is too loud, they better stay stock because NOTHING is as quiet as the Joe Z (or PLP for that matter)

Second, the SRT does not give 15 to the wheels, even the dyno on the SRT website has about 12 to the wheels and not even at peak power. In other words at some point in the dyno it made 12RWHp more than stock, but at the peak and down low, it didnt make that much more power than stock

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sacs0404 said:
One thing I don't get is how come you don't know what Intakes are good for our car, but you are a .NET Enthusiast with 1,187 posts.
I never really did much research on them. Just looking for opinons. I will probably end up with the SRT. I was also curious to see if anyone else had the Stillen one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Split2nd said:
I never really did much research on them. Just looking for opinons. I will probably end up with the SRT. I was also curious to see if anyone else had the Stillen one.

Yeah it was just kinda wierd u know. lol..

Look in here: http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=227486&page=1&pp=30

That the catalog with all the Bolt on, and it tells you what intake you could use (with no CEL problem).

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny, mine is not even listed there.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Split2nd said:
Does anyone else have the Stillen intake? I like it and all, but I have had a CEL since I put it on. What intakes are there that don't give u a CEL at all, besides the SRT? Thanks and +rep for helpers.
intakes that dont give cells are plp with any drop in filter, joe z with any drop in filter, srt with r-ecu, k&n fipk, aem short ram, injen gen 3, & rod millen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts