Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through many different old threads regarding sticky dash and could not seem to find a consensus of the method to use. Some used acetone, some used goo-gone and scotch bright pads with elbow grease to strip the sticky off with a degreaser maybe.. What do you guys think? Have you all done this?

·
2,997 Posts
I have searched through many different old threads regarding sticky dash and could not seem to find a consensus of the method to use. Some used acetone, some used goo-gone and scotch bright pads with elbow grease to strip the sticky off with a degreaser maybe.. What do you guys think? Have you all done this?
Some stuff works better than others. Depends on the dash condition. I would find an 2001.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ive done it on both the Altezza's ive owned, both times tried a few common things like methylated spirits and green cleen but both times ended up with the most success using acetone and a dish brush to get into all the cracks, and plenty of rags. I couldnt find any of the products you guys have over there in the states at any of our local shops, and a few of the guys i had met at the wreckers said they had just used acetone. I would say with some caution it wreecks so make sure you do it in an open space or decent breathing aparatus or you will get a hell of a headache. I would definately do it with the dash out of the car if you can, the black resin and acetone goes everywhere and it will be a pain in the arse to get up the back by the windscreen without smearing it everywhere and not getting it all removed. Also pays to have an idea what you want to have at the end of it all, raw plastic look, painted plastic, plastic dye (what i used both times), some even wrap them. This way you know what sort of condition you need to get the bare plastic to before applying anything else.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
So let me say that my dash was not sticky. It was just scratched to hell. Literally just did this when I swapped my tan interior to black. I used 3m stripping pads heavy duty ones. I did not sand it down all the way to the bare plastic.

1. I did strip down the deep scratches on the entire dash.

2. I then sanded it with 600 grit sand paper.

3. Then 800 grit

4. Then I wet sanded with 800.

5. At this point it was much smoother already.

6. I then wet sanded with 1000 grit. When I was happy with how it looked. I grabbed some grey primer and did two light coats (do not saturate the dash) as a guide coat.

7. Then I wet sanded with 1500 grit to get it as smooth as possible.

8. then I grab some krylon matte black paint and did enough light coats to cover the dash completely.

9. one last wet sand with 2000 grit.

10. final coat of black paint.

·
Mr. Roo
9,684 Posts
I think the main takeaway is that anything will work, and no matter what, it will be a lot of work to make it look good. Even if you leave it in the car, then you have to worry about the mess getting everywhere (and it will). If you're going to take it out to do all the work, might as well use an 01 like I did. I got rid of the old one for free on craigslist lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just finished mine this weekend. I used Goof-off graffiti remover and a scotch bright pad to strip the bulk of the sticky material off. then I used paint thinner and a paper towel to clean the rest off. i did a final wash with Dawn dish detergent before painting.
I used the SEM products for the painting. I used a partial can of the prep a little over a can of the adhesion promoter and 4+ cans of the color coat.
I followed these instructions DIY: Removing the dash, center console, and painting them *tons of pics* - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion for the removal of the dash and it was super easy.
I can't see how you would be able to get as good of a result if you don't remove the dash from the car.
dash stripped.jpg
sem paints.jpg
dash sprayed.jpg
install 3.jpg
install 1.jpg
install 2.jpg

I also put some film on the tail lights this weekend, i'm not sure how long it will last but i think i looks better than stock.
tail light film.jpg

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
I’m sorry I forgot to post a picture of the finished product of my above steps. Sorry these are what’s on my phone right now. When I was in the middle of swapping all my tan interior to black.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
The dash looks great. How many coats did you apply?
I assume you’re asking me? If so I probably applied a full can of primer with wet sanding in between. Then I used probably a full can of color. With wet sanding also on the second to last coat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts