Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as an FYI, my car averaged 25.4 mpg on the highway, but no cruise set. i was following someone back from picking it up, so i couldn't set the cruise, i also was not running it over 4000 rpms (although i broke 100 just for the hell of it) but i think with the cruise set, i could get 30 or 31 mpg. if there is an interest, i will keep track and check the mileage with the cruise set this week.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
just as an FYI, my car averaged 25.4 mpg on the highway, but no cruise set. i was following someone back from picking it up, so i couldn't set the cruise, i also was not running it over 4000 rpms (although i broke 100 just for the hell of it) but i think with the cruise set, i could get 30 or 31 mpg. if there is an interest, i will keep track and check the mileage with the cruise set this week.

I am impressed, i am only getting 19mpg highway. That bites, yours n the other hand is great. How many miles do u have on your car?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
do you have a 2001 IS300? That seem kind of low on highway, maybe you are driving it rather aggressive? I average about 20 to 20.5 with the 50-50% mix of freeway and street driving, and I certainly do not baby the car at all. I think the SRT intake helps a bit, but I think the main thing is finding the sweet spot of the engine and transmission. I am sure the number will change again once I get my ECU updated.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
560 (i love this car) - miles on it. come a 1000 miles, it goes on the dyno.

Originally posted by civic Si-r:

I am impressed, i am only getting 19mpg highway. That bites, yours n the other hand is great. How many miles do u have on your car?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
[QB]560 (i love this car) - miles on it. come a 1000 miles, it goes on the dyno.

You have low miles, I have 3000 miles on the odometer and just filled up with super unleaded, the car avg. 19mpg highway, there are some moments when I acclerate hard but not for long, mostly driving the car easy, they tell me the gas mileage will get better.........

·
Registered
349 Posts
IS300GTE:
Now since you have taken your 02 IS on a somewhat long highway trip, did you take time to see if you can notice any paint chips on your hood?? I am really curious if the paint on 02 will hold up better than 01.
Thanks.
G.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the paint is flawless! i would be bitchin if it wasn't
. i drove it 290 miles the first day, still looked nice when i parked her.

Originally posted by Gennady:
IS300GTE:
Now since you have taken your 02 IS on a somewhat long highway trip, did you take time to see if you can notice any paint chips on your hood?? I am really curious if the paint on 02 will hold up better than 01.
Thanks.
G.

·
Registered
306 Posts
IS300GTE:
Can you tell me what the RPM of the engine is at a given speed compared to the 2001 auto IS? Mine is about 2000RPM at 45MPH. I can't imagine the manual being a higher RPM.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is this in 5th? if so, i will test it tomorrow and let you know, i am also filling up for the second time tomorrow, so i will have another set of gas mileage figures, probably a bit lower since they have been all city miles, but we will see.

Originally posted by marke1:
IS300GTE:
Can you tell me what the RPM of the engine is at a given speed compared to the 2001 auto IS? Mine is about 2000RPM at 45MPH. I can't imagine the manual being a higher RPM.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4th/2000rpm - 38
4th/2500rpm - 49

5th/2000rpm - 45
5th/2500rpm - 57

hope this helps

IS300GTE:

·
Registered
306 Posts
IS300GTE -
Thanks for the info. Looks about the same as the auto. I still think they could have made 5th a little taller to get better mileage and less engine wear.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no problem, i agree about the gearing though.

i tested her yesterday, and it average 20.51, with me having a semi heavy foot in city type driving, so that isn't **too** bad i guess, what pisses me off, is that on they way down and back to get the car, my dads 3.8l oldmobile was averaging 38mph

IS300GTE -
Thanks for the info. Looks about the same as the auto. I still think they could have made 5th a little taller to get better mileage and less engine wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts