Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, just came back from that dealer. What a horrible experience. Never buyin car from that place. First off all the dealers are so f*ckin standoffish. No dealer came out to greet the customers. All of them were huddled inside would not come out, granted it was chilly outside. Walked around the lot for 30min before deciding to go in. Even after goin inside and walkin around for another 10 min, nobody still greeted me. Eventually went up to a dealer instead. I'm 27 and not some teenager wanting to waste the dealers time or anythin. The dealer I worked with allowed me only to go for a quick 5 min test drive around the block. What the hell is that?!?!?! I have never been inside the car and would like to feel out the car longer before I plop down my hard earn money.

Well that was not the end of it. I've heard people were getting great deals so I offered $31,500 drive out price for a fully loaded without graphite wheels. He quoted me a driveout price of $33,789. My last quote was for $33000. Still he would not budge. Hell he let me walk out the door. He even says that if I buy from another dealer and decided to take it to them for service, they would not offer free loaner car, etc. What a bunch of crock.

How are most you able to land such great deals and from where?

[This message has been edited by meta4 (edited December 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Meta, You can get into trouble reading about other people's prices (they are good benchmarks but you HAVE to negotiate your OWN deal). Different parts of the country deal better than others. Local dealers, local economy, local supply and local weather all effect price.

Anyway, go to Edmunds.com or cars.com and spec out the invoice pricing including options. I think 1 G over invoice is a good place to start on a Lexus, less for domestics. Anyway, tell them that is your price and tell them you are ready to buy. Dealers get serious when they know they have a serious buyer. Whatever price they let you walk at is usually their best price.

Soooooo, get out and go to all of the local dealers and the one to match your price wins. If no one does then you know that deal is not possible in your area. Go back to the dealer that gave you the lowest price and hopefully they honor it. Good luck - let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I sometimes think all Lexus salespeople are trained to be aloof. It gives them a psychological "upper hand" so that you feel like you have to earn their approval, instead of the other way around...

Originally posted by meta4:
Man, just came back from that dealer.
[This message has been edited by meta4 (edited December 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd suggest making the trip to Lexus of Clear Lake. They have plenty on the lot and are willing to deal. I had a great experience there and was treated well last week on my 1,000 mile checkup. I too was turned off by Sterling McCall Lexus. So, on my way back from Lexus of Clear Lake, I stopped by and showed my car to the salesman that treated me like some "punk kid." I'm 24 and had a $19,000 trade in, so I am not sure why he would not take me seriously. But, I guess I got the last laugh. I went by and showed him and he even complimented me on my chrome wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, I bet the people at Lexus are Told to be a little aloof, but My family has gotten 2 lexus' from Sterling McCall (ls400, lx450), and we usually get the best Price. It does take alot of negotiating though. Recently I went in, and got a quote of 35500 fully loaded IS. I went searching at Lexus.com and e-mailed all the dealers in texas. I got soem GREAT deals, and one price I got from a dealership in dallas was a 33,400 Sterling McCall is willing to Beat That price, so we'll see what we can do.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
meta.. 31k is extremely low
did you look at the invoice? that's probably the invoice price of the vehicle. It is very unlikely that the dealer will sell cars at invoice price, (especially newer models).

think about it, they have expenses that they have to pay in hiring people, maintaining the showroom, etc. You can probalby get 31k if the car got minimal features.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I actually bought my car from sterling mccall lexus in houston also. To tell you the truth, they would not go down on the sticker price at all. But we were able to negotiate on the trade in I had to offer. I nearly doubled the value of what they initially offered, but that was due to my father who came along and opened a can of whoop-azz on em. So my suggestion is for you to bring someone that can seriously haggle and retaliate against those new car salesmen. Good luck man.

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by chromaplast:
meta.. 31k is extremely low
did you look at the invoice? that's probably the invoice price of the vehicle. It is very unlikely that the dealer will sell cars at invoice price, (especially newer models).

think about it, they have expenses that they have to pay in hiring people, maintaining the showroom, etc. You can probalby get 31k if the car got minimal features.
I guess they are not a volume dealer. I was just taking some advice found here:

http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum1/HTML/004206.html

Anyways, I won't be going back there. That one dealer just totally turned me off. Their Toyota division sux even more, but that's another story.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Meta 4, give me your specific request and I'll call Westside Lexus. I have a firsthand connection that goes beyond any salesman over there. Give me your lowest price PLUS TT&L. Don't try grouping that in with your total price. TT&L should be left out of the negotiating process in my opinion. TT&L is what it is. You just need to make sure TT&L is only that and no surcharges are wrapped in there.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I live literally almost across the street from westside lexus. The reason I bought from sterling mccall was because I happened to get a damn good deal on my trade-in. But personally I've had better experiences with westside for the most part. The peeps in the body shop there are pretty cool. They fixed up my IS when I had wrecked it. And their body shop is in-house. As opposed to Sterling, their bodyshop is located somewhere else in the boonies. =X However, I've heard that ClearLake Lexus has the best deals of em all. And this week is the best time to buy because dealerships want to get rid of as many cars as they can to avoid that tax thingy. Good luck!

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by brad:
Meta 4, give me your specific request and I'll call Westside Lexus. I have a firsthand connection that goes beyond any salesman over there. Give me your lowest price PLUS TT&L. Don't try grouping that in with your total price. TT&L should be left out of the negotiating process in my opinion. TT&L is what it is. You just need to make sure TT&L is only that and no surcharges are wrapped in there.

[email protected]
Here's the specs I'm looking for:

graphite gray w/black leather interior (not luxury leather)
LSD
Moonroof
Heated Seats
Trunk Mat
Graphite Wheels(not as important)

I'm looking in the ballpark of 31500-32800 driveout price. Does this make sense? This will be my first car buying experience. Gonna be checking out Westside and Clear Lake sometime this week. The funny thing was that a dealer from Clear Lake called me. He explained that they were a sister dealership of Sterling McCall. Hope there service is not as crappy as S. McCall.

[This message has been edited by meta4 (edited December 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Meta4, sounds to me like you're looking for a fully loaded IS for under 30 grand. Ain't likely to happen. Email me after you're done shopping and I'll make one call to see if it can be beat. All due respect, but I think you need to pound the pavement to discover just how much this car costs for yourself before expecting sub 30K loaded IS.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited December 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yeah, it would be like winning the lottery if you can get a loaded IS300 such as the one you want for that price in houston! The demand is pretty high in houston and they sell em pretty dayum quick. (I bought my is300 literally straight off the car carrier!!). I was pretty lucky getting one that wasn't already booked for someone else. But yeah, clear lake is your best bet (even though Sterling is a sister dealer). Clearlake is located pretty far out there.. and I have a friend whose friend got a Silver IS300 (Black leather) for $32,000 ... TODAY!! . I am not sure if he got the heated seats/LSD .. but that really isn't too important in my opinion. I had to pay sticker price of $33,800 plus ttl which came to just under $37,000. =/

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
44 Posts
well I live in Sugarland but work at NASA in clearlake and lucky NASA has a corporate account with Sterling so hopefully I could get a good price for no more than 33K.

I'm Filipino, 22 years old and I'm assuming that when I go to these snobby places that they will give me the cold shoulder, but it's natural, I guess I would do the same thing to a young looking punk like myself.

Keep us all updated on your buying situation. I plan to get mine when the stick comes out...peace

H-Town in tha House!!

------------------
MJ 300

2002 Models please come!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently bought my car at Lexus of Clear Lake. I too work at JSC and it was a short drive to there. The sticker price for my IS300 was 34,160 plus 740 for window tint and pinstriping. Total 34,900 for a silver IS300 with black leather interior and moon roof, no LSD. I told them that I wasn't interested in haggling and to give me the best offer they could. The salesman Dan M. came back sortly with an offer of 32K. I figured that since the invoce for my car was around 30k and that in July IS300s sold for sticker prices only I took the deal. I guess I could have haggled for a better deal but I didn't. I was comfortable with the deal I made. The drive out with TTL was 34653.43. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hmm...I got mine fully loaded from Sterling, prepaid on June 30, for about 38,000 after all was said and done. Uh, was that a bad deal? Maybe being first just costs you up the wazoo...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by meta4:
[B
graphite gray w/black leather interior (not luxury leather)
LSD
Moonroof
Heated Seats
Trunk Mat
Graphite Wheels(not as important)
(edited December 26, 2000).][/B]
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in... Why don't you get a leather package instead of heated seats and LSD? I mean, how often are you going to use either one in Texas? And just for the reference, I got a fully loaded IS in DFW area for just under $34,000 drive out. So, I think if you can get the price around $33,000 drive out, you're getting a good deal.

Anyways, good luck to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm going to send Sterling this chat room to show them how sorry they are and how they could improve on their service...I'm sending one in Clear Lake and in the one on US 59...

Get with the program Sterling!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
JR300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing