Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you stereo experts out there.

I'll start by explaining the system I have planned here. I'm basically using two amps to power two subs. Each amp is 2 x 150 and is driving a sub that's 150-400W RMS 800W max. By the way, I'm not bridging the amps. The subs are DVC so each channel is going to a coil. I have a single 1 farad with a distribution block for both amps. My plan is to run the battery to the cap and then the cap to both amps. My question is this: What gauge wire should I be using for each part of the connection (bat to cap, cap to amp, all the grounds) and would there be a better way to hook this up? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

-Alex

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
You can skimp on the power and reso it later, but I would recommend 4 awg as the min for all connections. If you amp does not accept 4 awg then run 4 awg from the bat(remember to fuse within 18" of battery) to the cap. From the cap if the runs are short you can use 8 awg as long as the fuse for each amp does not exceed 50 amps. You the largest ground you can, but it has to be at least the same size as the power wire going into the amp.

What I try and do is the following:
Power wire from bat to fuse, then from fuse to trunk where I place a fused distribution block. From the dist block I go to each component(I.E. amp, caps, processors) as all components are now fused. I try and never go through the cap.
I then use a ground dist block and match the ground wire to the main power wire. From their I run to each component with the same size as the power wire I ran.

Hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hornet020 said:
Quick question for you stereo experts out there.

I'll start by explaining the system I have planned here. I'm basically using two amps to power two subs. Each amp is 2 x 150 and is driving a sub that's 150-400W RMS 800W max. By the way, I'm not bridging the amps. The subs are DVC so each channel is going to a coil. I have a single 1 farad with a distribution block for both amps. My plan is to run the battery to the cap and then the cap to both amps. My question is this: What gauge wire should I be using for each part of the connection (bat to cap, cap to amp, all the grounds) and would there be a better way to hook this up? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

-Alex
I would go with as thick of a wire as possible. At minimun 4awg. 2awg would be much better. I use 0/1 AWG going into the 4 1F caps and then 4AWG going into the one amp.

I also don't recommend using one cap for both amps. You want to split/splice as little as possible. A 1F cap is good "up" to 1,000 watts. But our cars altenator isn't all that powerful for amps as such. And you say you are using 600 watts- is that rated at 4 ohms, while each coil is 2ohm? If so, you might have about 1200 watts. I used a 1F cap, and it barely made a difference for my 600W amp.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Change of plan...

Slight change of plan for anyone still interested. I'm going to run 4 awg to a distribution block then 8 awg to .5 farad caps. I'll have one cap for each amp. then 8 awg from the cap to the amp. It should work out. For those that were asking, they're 4 ohm coils and the amp is 2x75 at 4 ohms, 2x150 at 2 ohms. It's a relatively low power system, but it sounds good to me. Take care.

-Alex

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can the amp be bridged? If so, bridging should give you as much as twice the power as normal. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm actually going to be bridging both amps. I'll be running 300W max per sub. Should sound pretty good.

Chaskid, how long have you been in Glen Burnie? I went to college near there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts