Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have an '02 IS-300 with Nav. I want to replace my stock stereo with either the Pioneer D3 or Alpine D310. I want to keep my existing Navigation in-tact. I live in the Bay Area.

What sort of prices am I looking at to get one of these decks installed?

Keep in mind, I also want the following modules installed:

1. ipod
2. USB
3. bluetooth (optional depending on price)

I unfortunately don't have the acumen to do this on my own. I would appreciate some ballpark pricing and shop references where I can get this done.

Thanks.

-AB

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am guessing around 150 to install a new deck. The harness you will need is around 100 dollars because the stock amp needs a special signal and there is a special thing you need to do with the deck to retain the Navi. If you do the navi yourself then you might save a few dollars.

I dont have a D3 but I really think it should have an input that you can hook the navi to, if it doesn't then I think a company should allow an optional input device for navi or dvd players; just makes a lot of sense in my mind right now.

so... 100 for harness, 50 for install, another 50 to work around the navi (print out a few pages from these forums http://my.is/forums/3142206-post21.html and BRING them with you so the techs can read it). The navi system works weird and you are going to want to make sure the techs know the info that a couple of guys figured out for us on these forums

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Make sure you explicitly say you want to keep your stock amp!

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Any recommendations on shops or even a .net member that would be willing to do this in the Bay Area?

·
Registered
432 Posts
you can probably ask someone to do it the next nor cal meet. I am sure a ton of the members would do it if you pay them. The next norcal IS300 meet is coming up in spring I think, somewhere in Sac.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on the meet; I will try to make it. However, is there anyone in this forum living in the Bay Area that would be interested in installing a deck for me? Please PM me if you would be interested with a ballpark estimate for labor. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Installing a deck for an is300 is quite complicated. It's going to be a lot harder than other cars because you have to do a lot of rewiring and remove the factory amp which is a bit**. I had a guy from circuit city do it for me after he got off work. I don't remember what he charged me though..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It's not the amp that the nav relies on, its a circuitboard inside the stock HU. You have two options for an aftermarket HU with factory nav.

1. Relocate the entire stock HU (or just the dependent circuitboard) to somewhere else in the car.

OR

2. If he's still making it, get Fargo's module at: Sat Nav Bypass Module
When I emailed him last year, it was $110 shipped to the US. It may have gone up.

As for install costs, I'd say a bit more. You're going to need a dash kit too. The one that I've read works the best... I think is the JDM kit? I'm not sure of the name, but it runs about a hundred bucks by itself.

Then you have to consider if you remove the stock HU and amp, you're replacing rear speakers as well at the least. The rear speakers are actually two seperate speakers. One of them runs at 2 ohms, which will likely kill the amp in your new HU.

It's pretty entailed. You need to do a bit of reading here before you undertake this project.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You'll need a wiring harness too. Stick with the Metra...that runs another hundred.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you afre getting D3, do you really need stock navi? I think aftermarket navigation is better options wise, even though stock looks better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
im a d3 owner, and unfortunately it DOES NOT support navigation output to a different monitor/screen... it will however output video to your stock navigation, but you will have to buy the adapter for it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts