Lexus IS Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I decided to circle back on the dyno data where we did not have RPM, only MPH, and calculate engine RPM based on the OE wheels and tires plus final drive. Here is the plot I came up with based on actual winpep exported data and MPH in 1MPH increments. Raw data is at the bottom of the table and the Dyno graph was output with smoothing set to 5 and a 2 gear pull (automatic) where I threw out the first sample after the shift while the vehicle shifted from 3rd to 4th.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Hows the rest of the rpm band (lower) portion of car feel ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I constantly check for an update on this particular set of header but it seems dead. Are there any sound clips or dynos? It should sound exotic!

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you're looking for a car to test this on I know of a club car in Omaha that might be willing to give it a try. Not sure that's worth the distance. What's the hold up?

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
We have purchased an 02 manual to test these and other mods with. I posted an extracted data dyno. What further information are you looking for? This is not intended for everyone as most people will just boost.
The auto dyno only shows where the car shifts over, so that is why we will be doing it on the new car. The only issue I am fighting is getting this 180K mile car back together as it had a few issues to sort out, broken coil pack bolts, serpentine replacement, and a few other questionable items. We will also be making LS400 TB conversion kits, that will get dynoed shortly after.
Mike

·
Registered
675 Posts
We have purchased an 02 manual to test these and other mods with. I posted an extracted data dyno. What further information are you looking for? This is not intended for everyone as most people will just boost.
Not sure... the posted data isn't enough to convince me this is worth the cost. It's from a street automatic that is burning oil without a fresh tune-up. Further, the tachometer is not an accurate reading and is instead calculated based upon some (probably) close assumptions.

For a shop selling a product with resources at hand to purchase a vehicle for testing, I was expecting better quality data... all of the things you hint at yourself wanting in a dyno graph (fresh tune, exact tach data, manual trans pull, healthy engine, full RPM range curve, etc.).

Just my $0.02. I'm not really in the game at the moment (nor have I been before), so take that for what it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be a low-end loss with these long tubes. Whether or not it's significant after a piggy back tune is the question. I'm looking to buy these just for the sound, actually. I think a graph of the WHP increase will convince people.

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Not sure... the posted data isn't enough to convince me this is worth the cost. It's from a street automatic that is burning oil without a fresh tune-up. Further, the tachometer is not an accurate reading and is instead calculated based upon some (probably) close assumptions.

For a shop selling a product with resources at hand to purchase a vehicle for testing, I was expecting better quality data... all of the things you hint at yourself wanting in a dyno graph (fresh tune, exact tach data, manual trans pull, healthy engine, full RPM range curve, etc.).

Just my $0.02. I'm not really in the game at the moment (nor have I been before), so take that for what it is.
We have been looking for a car for more than 6 months. Finally a suitable subject came through. We do not have 10 of these sitting on shelves waiting for homes, so everything we do is for another purpose in mind and these will serve that purpose (spec class racing.) We are offering this product as it has been on my product list for far too long. I am committed to providing the data as we can as a company with many other things going on. The HP comparison in the extracted data is still exact, meaning the data plot from the baseline dyno speed and the post install dyno are aligned based on MPH on the same dyno with the same car. So I do not think the error is any worse than a typical dyno. I guess what I am posing to any customer is if they weigh their decisions so heavily on a scale that is so variable, this is likely not the product for them. The cost represents the time it takes to build one unit after its ordered, and for the time involved we consider it actually quite reasonable. In the end, dynos are just a relative measuring tools and most useful in actual load cell tuning, but continually we find then to be very unrepeatable, easy to manipulate and generally a poor way for us to present performance gains when other factors are at play. Even corrected we have seen HP swings of more than 50 hp when dynoing our IS-F and we have used 4 different dynos here in CO, all the makes.

Your comments are perfectly warranted I am just trying to give you a little better perspective on what is going on.
@panic, yes absolutely post up here or instagram or FB and we will link it. Or email or text me.

Mike

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be a low-end loss with these long tubes. Whether or not it's significant after a piggy back tune is the question. I'm looking to buy these just for the sound, actually. I think a graph of the WHP increase will convince people.
The whole goal of a stepped primary design is to enhance the full RPM band, not just the higher RPM. I don't think we will be a slouch at the low RPM range at all, but a manual dyno is required to demonstrate that .

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write that reply Mike. It's much appreciated. I'm still very much interested in this, I just have other obligations at the moment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Made to order at this point. 4 week lead time.
We should get our sedan on the dyno here soon along with the LS400 TB mod as well. Been dealing with a driftcar rebuild for a PROAM driver, not really something we do but decided to help him out.
Mike
I am so excited to purchase this header and I cannot wait to get my hands on that throttle kit when you have it done!

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
You guys still around? haha
We finally got the plot many of you have been looking for and that we have invested a great deal of effort into. The numbers are good and the car is a blast to drive with just the header and 3" exhaust, though probably far to loud for the street in some areas. 5% solid gains across the entire power band.
This is just the beginning as intake and cam tuning are up next.
http://my.is/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86610&thumb=1
http://my.is/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86618&thumb=1

Attachments

201 - 219 of 219 Posts