Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered MANY times but ive searched for some different waxing PROCESSES for a LONG time and only found a couple. I dont know if i should clay then swirl remove then polish then wax...etc. for the best look!? Could everyone help me out!?!?

THis would also make a good sticky too!!!

P.S. Im not using Zaino so dont worry about explaining that!!!

thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You want to Wax it first, then if you are going to polish, polish it next, then if there are any swirls, remove the swirls. To conclude, you want to clay bar the car, and finish up by removing the wax.

Hope this helps.
:chill:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you realy want to kno the best method i can tell you. It always works on many of my families cars:

1- Wash the car twice with a high concentration of car wash.

2 - After the wash and dry, I examine the paint with my hand. If I find rough areas, I use a good detailing clay and lubricant to remove the contaminants. I finish the cleaning process by going over all of the painted surfaces with a quality pre-wax cleaner. To get the best cleaning action, I use a quality cotton terrycloth applicator to apply and a plush microfiber buffing towel to remove the residue and buff.

3 After using the clay bar and the pre-wax cleaner, your paint will literally squeak. You will also be able to see all of the paint defects, which means it's time to get out your polish and treat each area of damaged paint. If I find heavy scuffs or surface scratches that I can feel with my fingernail, I repair these areas with an good scratch remover formula or fine rubbing compound. Swirl marks and other minor blemishes I polish out using a swirl-remover polish formula. Any polish designed to remove 1200 to 2000 grit sanding marks will handle swirl marks. I also use the same polish to go over any area where I used a rubbing compound to restore the full luster of the paint.

3a - Make sure that you buy some 3m swirl mark remover so that you would be able to fill in all of those hideous swirl marks

4 - Once perfectly polished, it’s time to seal the paint and lock in the beauty. Even the best wax is no match against pollution, road salt, and other contamination. Use a synthetic formula that does not contain abrasives. You already did all of your polish work in the steps above. Also, if you use an abrasive formula (any formula containing polishes or cleaners), you won't be able to apply more than one coat. I recommend two or three coats. Each coat should be allowed to cure (dry) for at least 12 hours before applying the next coat.

5 - When you’re finished sealing, you’ll be looking at a beautiful finish. Your first thought will be “hey, the car looks awesome… I must be done”. Not so fast, bucko! You want the "Perfect Shine," right? Okay, then, be patient and wipe your car down with your favorite detailing spray and wait 24 hours. You’re almost there.

6 - The final step, the literal icing on the cake, is waxing. Many will ask “after sealing, why wax?” The answer lies in the richness of color, depth and clarity that only a high quality carnauba wax can bring out on a polished surface. For this job I reach for only two products: P21S Concours or Pinnacle Souveran. Both of these waxes will bring out additional shine, depth and color richness like you're never seen. If you have black, red, dark blue or rich yellow paint, you're in for a real treat.

this is from autopia.org, if you have any other questions i would be able to help.

-Eddie

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info IS300 GTR!!! I really appreciate it, that helps out a lot!!

xjayx300 v2.5, thats what i figured! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts