Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My car has steering wheel shimmy on braking so I had my front rotors resurfaced and new pads installed, but the problem still existed. Upon further investigation I concluded my left inner tie rod was worn so I replaced both left and right inner and out tie rods, lower ball joints and steering rack bushings(urethane). I went ahead and did all this because my car has 125k. However, on braking I still have the same steering wheel shake. Another thing I notice even before replacing all these parts is that when coming to a stop slowly the car feels like it's wobbling. Does anyone have any ideas what could still be the cause of my problem?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Have you had an alignment done by a reputable shop? Wonder if your just out some, but a GOOD tech is usually good at spotting a worn suspension component.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had an alignment done before the brake job and I had the same problem. I also forgot to mention I replaced my #2 LCA on both sides as well. There are no other noticeable worn components. I know I need to have an alignment done but don't want to waste th time and money doing it then I have to replace something else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
^x3

I replaced the pads and turn the rotors within couple hundred miles of buying my is used.(pads were cracked). Rotors were above spec. Tires and alignment done around the same time. Within about 5k miles severe vibration when braking down hill started. High speeds were fine, just down hill braking was causing your same symptom. I check the front end every oil change, because of the common lca bushings being worn with high mileage. Always tight, no wheel play.

Anyways I have been lazy and avoiding turning the rotors again, and I prefer to just replace them when I jack up the car next.

Whats funny is my car has terrible bumptseer too when coming to a complete stop (especially when the roads suck). Ive been used to this because my other vehicle does the same shit and has all heims and no bushings.

Subscribed

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Swap the wheels front to back. If nothing changes then it's probably not wheels or tires.

If it's not that, a set of front rotors are cheap, I'd try new ones. Also check for rust on the hubs where they mate with the rotors. I've seen a very small amount of crap there cause shimmy under braking.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It could be your tires or wheel. I had the same problem but once I got new tires the problem went away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swap the wheels front to back. If nothing changes then it's probably not wheels or tires.

If it's not that, a set of front rotors are cheap, I'd try new ones. Also check for rust on the hubs where they mate with the rotors. I've seen a very small amount of crap there cause shimmy under braking.
Thanks I will look into it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
could be your calipers. even tho you changed the pads and rotors, the calipers might be sticking slightly. i have this issue tho i notice it more at highway speeds than local. the next time you take your car out, afterwards check if any of the wheels feel hot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
could be your calipers. even tho you changed the pads and rotors, the calipers might be sticking slightly. i have this issue tho i notice it more at highway speeds than local. the next time you take your car out, afterwards check if any of the wheels feel hot.

The calipers were fine when I replaced my pads 6k miles ago, BUT I do feel a brake pull under hard braking in short distances (when there is no bumpsteer). Usually when calipers are sticking, there is a noise to go with it, similar to when slide pins are dry. My brakes make 0 noise.

Sorry if im threadjacking, back to the OP

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The calipers were fine when I replaced my pads 6k miles ago, BUT I do feel a brake pull under hard braking in short distances (when there is no bumpsteer). Usually when calipers are sticking, there is a noise to go with it, similar to when slide pins are dry. My brakes make 0 noise.

Sorry if im threadjacking, back to the OP
not true.. i've been driving on a sticking caliper since november (getting it fixed this weekend lol).. havent had a single noise. all i ever feel is the steering wheel shake at highway speeds for a couple miles and then it goes away until i hit the brakes again. the only reason i know it's the caliper is because a couple weeks ago when i was rotating my tires to diagnose the problem i noticed one wheel (front right) was warm. next time i took my car out the wheel that i had swapped in to the front right was hot. over time the wheel shaking has gotten stronger probably because the pad is near or fully worn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ill be driving down some hills tomorrow, and ill feel the wheels. I hope its just the rotors, I just bled the whole system not too long ago..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lots of good suggestions so far. have you tried rotating the tires like stated above? that would be my first step as its simple and free(if you DIY), while the wheels are off check the caliper mounts and slides, I've seen sticking slides cause what your experiencing, they don't always make noise. But your right they can when the pad slaps or the pins jam. most of the time a brake pull is from sticking sliders or a sticking piston in the caliper, it will most likely pull the opposite direction of the bad one. (IE- if it pulls left, the right one is sticking or not working as well) Tire pressure can also cause brake pulls. all the same and good pressure?

If none of these fix or change anything I would try new rotors up front. I would like to believe they where turned properly and are not to thin (out of spec) but people aren't prefect :)

All of your wheels will be hot after braking down a canyon, But one may be hotter then the others. just trying to cover the bases. sorry for the novel lol. Good luck and let us know what you find....

·
Registered
528 Posts
i've been driving on a sticking caliper since november (getting it fixed this weekend lol).
How are you gonna fix this? New calipers? Mine does the same thing. Shake for a couple miles then goes away until I apply the brakes again. I've lubed up the slide pins multiple times and made sure everything is clean etc, but it starts up withing a 100 miles of doing this. Let us know if and how you fix it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i've been driving on a sticking caliper since november (getting it fixed this weekend lol).
How are you gonna fix this? New calipers? Mine does the same thing. Shake for a couple miles then goes away until I apply the brakes again. I've lubed up the slide pins multiple times and made sure everything is clean etc, but it starts up withing a 100 miles of doing this. Let us know if and how you fix it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No particular wheel was hotter than the others when I checked. the vibration has stayed through my last rotation 4k miles ago, so I think the wheels/tires are fine. time to look at new rotors

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do the ls400 brake swap with new rotors. It has something to do with the pistons on just one side of the caliper. I changed rotors and pads twice with in 500 miles and had no change. Once I did the ls400's no more vibrations. They have pistons on both sides like a bbk. Probably about 450-500 upgrade but well worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Do the ls400 brake swap with new rotors. It has something to do with the pistons on just one side of the caliper. I changed rotors and pads twice with in 500 miles and had no change. Once I did the ls400's no more vibrations. They have pistons on both sides like a bbk. Probably about 450-500 upgrade but well worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
that doesnt make sense at all. from the sounds of it, one of your calipers needed to be rebuilt/replaced and that's why it went away. not because there are only pistons on one side...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts